Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law, Yeshiva University Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Ken

Bronze

Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law, Yeshiva University

Post by Ken » Wed Dec 21, 2005 2:36 am

Cardozo Law School of Yeshiva University is a rising star in the legal field. Founded approximately 30 years ago in 1976, Cardozo Law School has since risen in the law school rankings and is ranked amongst the top 50 law schools in many rankings and amongst the top 60 law schools in the US News Law School Rankings.

Additionally, Cardozo Law School has many legal specialties that are highly regarded. For example, Cardozo is ranked amongst the top ten law schools in Intellectual Property law and Dispute Resolution and is also amongst the better entertainment law schools.

This rise in the academic world coupled with its location in trendy Greenwich Village has not gone unnoticed by applicants. Cardozo Law School has become increasingly competitive to attend, with students having a median LSAT of over a160 and a GPA of over 3.40. There are both full-time and part-time students, with the admissions numbers lower for the part-time students. Students may be admitted in either September, January, or May and

With a faculty concerned about teaching and the ability for motivated students to graduate in two full years, most students who attend Cardozo are happy with their choice. Negatives do include a competitive atmosphere (wanting to be at the top of the class to compete against NYU and Columbia grads), an older building housing the school and a Jewish tradition that closes the library during Sabbath. Note that a multimillion dollar building renovation is nearing completion, so the outdated facilities are becoming greatly improved.

Tuition at this Cardozo Law School is commensurate with the high cost of living in New York City, at over $34,500 per year. Additionally, students should factor in another $20,000 or more per year for room and board in pricey New York City.

Cardozo Law School is a very attractive option for anyone who wants to practice law in New York City, particularly if they desire to practice in the fields of intellectual property or dispute resolution, Cardozo's greatest strengths. Nearby Brooklyn Law School, which generally fares about equally in law school rankings, is also worthy of consideration.

Cardozo Law School's continued ascent seems likely given what it has accomplished in just 30 years.

Read about detailed law school profiles at http://www.top-law-schools.com/profiles.html

See all of the 2007 law school rankings at --LinkRemoved--

Read about law school personal statements at http://www.top-law-schools.com/statement.html

Read an interview with the Dean of Admissions at UC Berkeley’s Boalt Hall at http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... .php?t=950

Or view the home page at http://www.top-law-schools.com

greengrad07

New

Part-time Cardozo

Post by greengrad07 » Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:21 pm

Ken,

I asked for your advice a few months ago about Santa Clara and since then I had decided that the move across country, from New Jersey, was farther than I was willing to go. I decided to attend Rutgers Newark because it had been the best law school in the New Jersey area that I had been accepted at. I have just been accepted at Cardozo for the part-time program and was hoping you would give me your advice.

I visited Cardozo and Newark and greatly preferred the former. Cardozo is considerably higher ranked generally and I am interested in their exceptional IP program. The part-time program entails four classes each semester and two over the summer after the 1L year. Only the first year is part time and the 2L and 3L years are full-time. My single reservation is the part-time program. According to the school, the part-time and full-time students are ranked together, so there might be a slight advantage for part-time students because they have a bit more time for each class. I am concerned about how the first year as part-time will appear to employers. I really hope to make it to Big Law, so will the part-time look as if I have slacked in some way? Also, I will only be able to do a part-time internship over the summer because I will have classes. Will this be detrimental in the long run and for the employment application process for the 2L summer and beyond?

Is it better to do Cardozo part-time for the first year than to do Rutgers full-time?

Any advice you can give me would be helpful.

Thanks,
Bob

chris888777

New

Post by chris888777 » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:03 pm

i would like to know about the cardozo part time program as well

rman1201

Silver

Re: Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law, Yeshiva University

Post by rman1201 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:05 am

I also would like to know about the part time program

nealric

Post by nealric » Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:46 pm

Tuition at this Cardozo Law School is commensurate with the high cost of living in New York City, at over $34,500 per year. Additionally, students should factor in another $20,000 or more per year for room and board in pricey New York City
$44,600 Now
--ImageRemoved--

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rman1201

Silver

Post by rman1201 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:29 pm

Last edited by rman1201 on Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:10 pm

rman1201 wrote:I also would like to know about the part time program
Medians are 3.56/160.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”