Which specific supplements to read (more in depth)? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
curiousnole

New

Which specific supplements to read (more in depth)?

Post by curiousnole » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:54 pm

I know some people are going to say not to read, but I want any edge I can and I also want to know there is nothing more I could have done when I'm done with law school. So far I'm going to read Getting to Maybe and Law School Confidential. Then I saw that "common 0l questions" and saw their suggested supplements, but I'm kind of curious as to whether I should really read all of those? Contracts: Hornbook (Dobbs), Property: Emanuel OR Hornbook (Dobbs), Torts: E&E (Glannon), Criminal Procedure: E&E, Civil Procedure: E&E (Glannon), Constitutional Law: E&E. (I'm not getting these exact ones in some cases, I read the whole forum, and I'm picking some different ones that others suggested).

My question is, don't I just need to read the supplements for the classes that I'm actually taking my 1st semester? When approximately do they tell you your first semester schedule? Would there be enough time to read them between finding out your schedule and the start of classes?

Also for Criminal Procedure and Constitutional Law, which of the two books listed for each should i get? For example, if I were to pick the E&E ones, for criminal procedure there are multiple books, is the correct one to get Examples & Explanations: Criminal Procedure: The Constitution and the Police, Sixth Edition? What about constitutional law, there are multiples there as well, Examples & Explanations: Constitutional Law: National Power & Federalism, 5th Ed. and then there's Examples & Explanations: Constitutional Law Individual Rights, Fifth Edition, which one is the right one? Both.

As a scared 0L I really appreciate all the help the knowledgeable tlser's have given me the past few months and I'll be returning the favor when I'm in the know the next few years.

bk1

Diamond

Re: Which specific supplements to read (more in depth)?

Post by bk1 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:04 pm

Reading is not going to give you an edge (and it might even hurt you). That's why people say don't read.

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:08 pm

Also, how would you remember any of that? I don't even remember what I learned a week ago.

Besides, you might end up with a professor like mine who's writing the Restatement on whatever and wants to teach you all his pet theories, even though they're not actually the law (and you won't find them in supplements).

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:10 pm

Honestly, don't read anything (with the exception of GTM if you really want to). It's a huge waste of time because so much of what is required of you depends on the professor you have and you aren't going to be able to put anything in context. Just relax and enjoy life.

curiousnole

New

Post by curiousnole » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:15 pm

hmmm by hurt me you mean as in, a teacher putting a different spin or have a different focus on the material? But I'm going to need supplements overall though right? All the stuff I've seen says buy supplements (once you are there).

I'd assume reading before attending could at worse give me no advantage, so I figured why not, but that is interesting... hmmm

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:19 pm

curiousnole wrote:hmmm by hurt me you mean as in, a teacher putting a different spin or have a different focus on the material? But I'm going to need supplements overall though right? All the stuff I've seen says buy supplements (once you are there).

I'd assume reading before attending could at worse give me no advantage, so I figured why not, but that is interesting... hmmm
Dangers:
1. Learning something your prof doesn't cover (you're gonna have to forget this because if you accidentally write about this on your exam you will have wasted time that could have been spent gaining points).
2. Learning something your prof disagrees with (you're gonna have to unlearn this).
3. Burning yourself out (you're going to be doing tons of reading during the semester, no reason to start working before you have to).

My opinion: supplements are okay. The most helpful thing I have ever gotten is an outline from someone who has already taken the class. No supplement can match that. Some profs prefer certain supplements. Just wait until you get to law school.

FlanAl

Silver

Post by FlanAl » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:24 pm

many people have said on this board that they pretty much taught themselves con law via chemerinsky. if you read it take notes on it and actually learn it to the point where when you find out something that you read in it was not in your class you can actively remember not to know that. to get the true benefit from it you'd have to dedicate more time than you would probably dedicate to a law school class, not sure if that is worth it.

curiousnole

New

Post by curiousnole » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:26 pm

Wait, so the teacher themselves sometimes tell you what supplements to get? I'm so sick of being so frustratingly clueless...

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:29 pm

curiousnole wrote:Wait, so the teacher themselves sometimes tell you what supplements to get? I'm so sick of being so frustratingly clueless...
Yes (though it's not always the best recommendation, it is important to note that that supplement is more likely to skew towards your prof's views). You also sometimes have profs who have written a supplement themselves.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

curiousnole

New

Post by curiousnole » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:47 pm

alright, I'm convinced haha. So I'll read Getting to Maybe, any thoughts on Law School Confidential?

CreativityKing

New

Post by CreativityKing » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:03 pm

curiousnole wrote:alright, I'm convinced haha. So I'll read Getting to Maybe, any thoughts on Law School Confidential?
I read Getting to Maybe, and honestly I didn't think about it even once during my exam prep (I did fine without it). That's not to say that some people don't find it helpful, but it's definitely not like the magic book that it's sometimes made out to be.

The reason I think it wasn't helpful prospectively was because I hadn't really seen any law yet - I didn't understand what types of issues the book was talking about until much later, and at that point I didn't need it to help me spot issues.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”