New to forum, happy to help Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
sendintheclowns

New

New to forum, happy to help

Post by sendintheclowns » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:21 pm

Hello,
Im a 1L, nearing 2nd semester finals. I feel like I've gained some insight into the whole "law school universe", specifically Fordham. and I'm happy to address any questions. But just some general thoughts:

1) Its not that bad! My feeling is that the most outspoken law students tend to have overinflated sense of self-importance and want to share their misery and stress with the world to substantiate their own lives. ok, maybe an over exaggeration (but I deal with these clowns every day and it wear on a guy, yaknow?) Law school is great. Yea its hard. Yea aspects are frustrating. But its so interesting. I couldnt imagine anything Id rather be doing...realistically that is. If I worked 9-5 (god forbid), it would be more work than what I do now (and I got a 3.5ish 1st semester). You can pick and choose your battles, and its not as bad as people said it would be.

2) Its fun! I sincerely believe that. And some of the people you meet, (not all, but some), think its fun too and you bond over that and talk about it. You develop skills and get better at reading and its fulfilling. Ask me again post law-school if being a lawyer is still fun... but as for law school, I think its great! I thought it would be dry and tedious, tax codes and boring laws. Its not. You learn different ways of thinking, you learn to challenge yourself and your intuitions. Not for everyone, but its for me.

3) Economics. Wish I had taken a class as an undergrad..haha. I'll let you see why if you have Thel for contracts.

4) NYC. I dont <3 it. Thats a big reason why people come here.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Re: New to forum, happy to help

Post by Tiago Splitter » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:05 pm

sendintheclowns wrote: 4) NYC. I dont <3 it. Thats a big reason why people come here.
What do you mean by this?

sendintheclowns

New

Re: New to forum, happy to help

Post by sendintheclowns » Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:57 pm

I was referring to the "I <3 NY" shirts.

People attend Fordham because of access to the NY job market. Apparently NY firms 'hire local' and go Columbia, NYU, Harvard, then Fordham. Also, being in a big city tends to attract international students and Fordham seems pretty diverse (but thats probably also because of its LLM program).

Many students are from the city or went to school in NY. Theres also lots of students from New Jersey and Westchester.

Im from California originally. I like green space and mountains. I have had little opportunity to do outdoors stuff since starting law school (go figure), but being from 6 hours from the closest mountains (up in NH and VT) is not ideal for me. I was considering UC Davis and Hastings (cuz then youre like 4 hours from Yosemite, 2 from Tahoe etc), but other considerations drove me here.

To tell you the truth tho, the city has grown on me, and I like it more and more. Im moving to Brooklyn in a couple weeks. I have lots of friends from undergrad here, its a hub for visiting out of towners, and its a cool place to be. If you hate big cities, stay away. If you <3 NY...come! And if you're not sure, I think its worth a shot. Going to school elsewhere....? Fugghedaboutit

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”