What kind of lease to sign? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
curiousnole

New

What kind of lease to sign?

Post by curiousnole » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:17 am

I bet this is a stupid question, but I'm wondering whether I should sign a 9 month lease or a 12 month lease. I'm likely going to UF and I'm attending their asw friday, so I was going to look at places to live and I need to know. Here's the stupid part of the question; I know you are supposed to try and get summer work after 1L and most of it is unpaid etc. but is this work usually local? In my case in gainesville, or do you usually travel somewhere else (miami, tampa etc.?)

Scotusnerd

Silver

Re: What kind of lease to sign?

Post by Scotusnerd » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:29 pm

Without knowing too much about your specific situation or job prospects in your area, I'd say go with the 12-month. The last thing you want to do if you get no-offered is go look for a place to live. Plus, I don't think that summer jobs last for three months.

Also, the 12-month will lock you in at the same rate, whereas they can jack you up three months earlier with the 9-month, effectively raising your cost of living during law school. That and you'll probably get a better rate anyway. If you're going to do a summer job elsewhere, see if there are grants or if the group hiring you will help you with costs in some way.

JollyGreenGiant

Silver

Post by JollyGreenGiant » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:50 am

Scotusnerd wrote: The last thing you want to do if you get no-offered is go look for a place to live.
You know the market is rough when you get no-offered before you even work your 1L summer job. :D

OP, it depends on where you want to live for the summer. The odds are that you will be able to find an unpaid summer position in any city you want to work in. If you'll want to work near your school, go with the 12-month. Otherwise, the 9-month is probably better.

curiousnole

New

Post by curiousnole » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:00 am

Hmm okay thanks very much guys, I think i'll go with the 9 because I'd like to get an unpaid in my hometown (which is not the town of the school).

Gail

Silver

Post by Gail » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:58 pm

I'm not sure what the risk is of getting jacked up for prices as far as renting goes. I'm hoping to get a 9 months lease and go month to month after that. If tehy go from 500 to 1200 in a month, I'll leave. But I'm ok with living in the ghetto, so whatever.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”