How full of crap is my new prelaw "advisor"? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
cucumber_nuthouse

New

Re: How full of crap is my new prelaw "advisor"?

Post by cucumber_nuthouse » Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:22 pm

ThreeRivers wrote:Yea, my UG pre-law advisor is a man who works in the education / History department after working as a middle school teacher for 15 years.
Mine is in a similar position. He teaches history and political science, and took a leave of absence after Sept. 11th to go join the military and "fight the good fight". He has not been to law school.
He had NO clue about anything law-school related and gets excited / congratulates people about to go to Cooley. He was placed in his position because he wrote a book about a supreme court justice
YES. Mine was boasting about having a former student go to Cumberland (ranked #142).

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:26 pm

cucumber_nuthouse wrote: I don't want the master's for the job opportunities. I'm deeply interested in NRM (UG is in environmental biology) and frankly, I just want to study it more. I love school.
Then that shit better be free if you're doing it just for the circlejerk.

cucumber_nuthouse wrote: I am planning on being on the "big business" side. I am an intern with a federal agency and my job involves the legal aspects of environmental issues. I feel that the WE and the connections I've made here will serve me well later. It also makes me uncomfortable to think about learning the ropes at a new job in the summer while trying to get everything in order to leave for school that fall.
I cannot imagine any college student has enough connections to get him fulltime employment as a JD. I know people who are connected as fuck in practice areas that are way less competitive coming from better schools than the ones you named who are still jobless.

edit: holy fuck were those quotes messed up
Last edited by IAFG on Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:28 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Richie Tenenbaum

Gold

Post by Richie Tenenbaum » Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:27 pm

cucumber_nuthouse wrote:
MTal wrote:Law school will leave you with 150k in non-dischargeable debt and no job prospects. The JD is of absolutely no value in any other field unless you have commensurate work experience. Law schools all over the country including several Tier 1's are facing class action lawsuits by former students alleging that they were essentially defrauded to the tune of 6 figures. These facts are absolutely indisputable...yet you still want to go to law school?
Are you in law school?
He went to a school with poor placement, didn't do so hot, and then dropped out. He means well (usually), but most find him annoying b/c he rants more than offering useful, insightful advice.

bobbyh1919

Silver

Post by bobbyh1919 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:30 pm

MTal would make a fantastic prelaw advisor.

cucumber_nuthouse

New

Post by cucumber_nuthouse » Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:36 pm

IAFG wrote:
cucumber_nuthouse wrote: I don't want the master's for the job opportunities. I'm deeply interested in NRM (UG is in environmental biology) and frankly, I just want to study it more. I love school.
Paying for something I'm that interested in is worth it to me. I don't expect everyone to understand. I'd also like to get it while I'm in law school because it takes less time than a solo master's (because of the credit transfers), I might as well get it while I don't have a FT job, and I'd like to have the credentials in case I want to teach adjunct UG when I'm older (retired).

Like I said, I don't expect everyone to understand. But for me personally, the knowledge and personal satisfaction is more valuable than the money.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:39 pm

cucumber_nuthouse wrote:
IAFG wrote:
Paying for something I'm that interested in is worth it to me. I don't expect everyone to understand. I'd also like to get it while I'm in law school because it takes less time than a solo master's (because of the credit transfers), I might as well get it while I don't have a FT job, and I'd like to have the credentials in case I want to teach adjunct UG when I'm older (retired).

Like I said, I don't expect everyone to understand. But for me personally, the knowledge and personal satisfaction is more valuable than the money.
Have you calculated what the monthly payment on your loans for both degrees will be?

sidhesadie

Bronze

Post by sidhesadie » Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:40 pm

You do know the out of state tuition for Uoregon is only $6k less than L&C, right?

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:41 pm

cucumber_nuthouse wrote:
IAFG wrote:

instead of paying for a degree why dont you just learn about it on your own if the personal satisfaction and knowledge is all you care about...

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:45 pm

NYC Law wrote:
And you probably should get a legal internship first. Not for any sort of admissions boost, but just to see if you actually like working in the field since there isn't really any other way to get exposure to what lawyers actually do prior to signing up for massive debt.
+1

Also, if you end up hating law school, at least you can know that you'll enjoy the profession (hopefully) and that will give you the encouragement to hang in there.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BarcaCrossesTheAlps

Bronze

Post by BarcaCrossesTheAlps » Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:49 pm

MTal wrote:Law school will leave you with 150k in non-dischargeable debt and no job prospects. The JD is of absolutely no value in any other field unless you have commensurate work experience. Law schools all over the country including several Tier 1's are facing class action lawsuits by former students alleging that they were essentially defrauded to the tune of 6 figures. These facts are absolutely indisputable...yet you still want to go to law school?

What makes me feel stupid is the fact I read the above and still my answer is, "Yes."

cucumber_nuthouse

New

Post by cucumber_nuthouse » Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:55 pm

traehekat wrote:
cucumber_nuthouse wrote:
IAFG wrote:

instead of paying for a degree why dont you just learn about it on your own if the personal satisfaction and knowledge is all you care about...

TIL you can get a graduate-level education by googling "how to manage natural resources".

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:00 pm

cucumber_nuthouse wrote:
TIL you can get a graduate-level education by googling "how to manage natural resources".
Ever heard of a bookstore? It's where you'll find all those books assigned for your shitty masters program.

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:09 pm

When I was a freshman in college I had a 3.61 GPA after fall semester and I went in to talk to a pre-law advisor, who went on to tell me that he had gone to law school yet was now working as a career counselor. He told me my GPA was good enough if I kept it around a 3.6. I got a 4.0 every single semester thereafter.

Pre Law advisors are FOS

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

cucumber_nuthouse

New

Post by cucumber_nuthouse » Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:30 pm

IAFG wrote:
cucumber_nuthouse wrote:
Ever heard of a bookstore? It's where you'll find all those books assigned for your shitty masters program.
Does it make you feel better to shit on other people's interests? That's so mature.

MTBike

Bronze

Post by MTBike » Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:34 pm

cucumber_nuthouse wrote:
IAFG wrote:
cucumber_nuthouse wrote:
Does it make you feel better to shit on other people's interests? That's so mature.
cucumber... you'll learn that people who are "bad at the real world" tend to take their anger out on forums behind the comfort of a computer screen. You have to learn to ignore it.

laxbrah420

Gold

Post by laxbrah420 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:42 pm

what was the granola joke?

NYC Law

Gold

Post by NYC Law » Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:43 pm

Watch Good Will Hunting... A good lesson in it - you can learn for about $20 in library late fees what you could get for $$$$$$$ by paying some school. They aren't teaching you cutting edge shit in grad school that you can't learn on your own with a little research and the right books.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:54 pm

cucumber_nuthouse wrote:
IAFG wrote:
cucumber_nuthouse wrote:
I'm not shitting on your interests, I'm shitting on your terrible life plan.

MTBike

Bronze

Post by MTBike » Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:58 pm

IAFG wrote:
cucumber_nuthouse wrote:
IAFG wrote:
cucumber_nuthouse wrote:
I'm not shitting on your interests, I'm shitting on your terrible life plan.
I am not a part of this conversation, but I really hope an MLS striker kicks you right in your disgusting untouched vagina from a full wind-up.

I hate people like you. That is all.
Last edited by MTBike on Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cucumber_nuthouse

New

Post by cucumber_nuthouse » Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:59 pm

NYC Law wrote:Watch Good Will Hunting... A good lesson in it - you can learn for about $20 in library late fees what you could get for $$$$$$$ by paying some school. They aren't teaching you cutting edge shit in grad school that you can't learn on your own with a little research and the right books.
This is not the point of this thread. I appreciate the advice, but I have already made a decision based on what I want to do in my life. I want it, so I'm doing it. Also, being self-taught does not qualify one to teach.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:00 pm

MTBike wrote:
I am not a part of this conversation, but I really hope an MLS striker kicks you right in your disgusting untouched vagina with a full wind-up.

And I hope you earn enough income to have to pay the taxes that cover the loans cucumber_nut defaults on.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

bernaldiaz

Gold

Post by bernaldiaz » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:02 pm

MTBike wrote:
I am not a part of this conversation, but I really hope an MLS striker kicks you right in your disgusting untouched vagina from a full wind-up.

She probably could have been less terse, but the OP's decision to pay for a masters program just because he likes school and having no intention of getting hired in that field is pretty objectively a bad decision.

MTBike

Bronze

Post by MTBike » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:03 pm

IAFG wrote:
MTBike wrote:
I am not a part of this conversation, but I really hope an MLS striker kicks you right in your disgusting untouched vagina with a full wind-up.

And I hope you earn enough income to have to pay the taxes that cover the loans cucumber_nut defaults on.
Me too!!

MTBike

Bronze

Post by MTBike » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:06 pm

bernaldiaz wrote:
MTBike wrote:

She probably could have been less terse, but the OP's decision to pay for a masters program just because he likes school and having no intention of getting hired in that field is pretty objectively a bad decision.
Oh probably... but thats his prerogative. I support cucumbers right to do whatever the hell he wants to do.

cucumber_nuthouse

New

Post by cucumber_nuthouse » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:14 pm

bernaldiaz wrote:
MTBike wrote:

I fail to see how having a master's in environmental studies/natural resources law/NRM will be useless in my career as an environmental attorney. Do I need the master's? No. But it will help, and I want it. Also this is now the third time I have said that I will use it to teach when I retire.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”