Texas, scholarships and residency Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
seancris

Silver

Texas, scholarships and residency

Post by seancris » Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:57 pm

I'll be taking time off to retake the LSAT over the course of the next year and I'm confident that I will be able to reach 170 or better before next cycle. I'm interested in UT at Austin, but I'm wondering how to estimate CoA. Checking out LSN, I see that reported scholarship offers range from 28.5k-76.5k for applicants with a 3.9+/170 this year. I'm wondering what accounts for the differences in award for applicants with nearly identical academic credentials.

Also, I am not a Texas resident but have heard that UT can grant residency status. Is this true? I don't have any ties to Texas, and I read on TLS that it is "particularly difficult" gain residency... which seems to be inconsistent with what I've seen on LSN indicating that Texas can outright grant residency status to strong applicants.

BTW does UT average LSAT scores or do they take the highest? I know the info is somewhere on TLS but I don't remember where to look for it and I'm afraid that it might be outdated for a lot of schools.

Richie Tenenbaum

Gold

Re: Texas, scholarships and residency

Post by Richie Tenenbaum » Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:22 pm

seancris wrote:I'll be taking time off to retake the LSAT over the course of the next year and I'm confident that I will be able to reach 170 or better before next cycle. I'm interested in UT at Austin, but I'm wondering how to estimate CoA. Checking out LSN, I see that reported scholarship offers range from 28.5k-76.5k for applicants with a 3.9+/170 this year. I'm wondering what accounts for the differences in award for applicants with nearly identical academic credentials.

Also, I am not a Texas resident but have heard that UT can grant residency status. Is this true? I don't have any ties to Texas, and I read on TLS that it is "particularly difficult" gain residency... which seems to be inconsistent with what I've seen on LSN indicating that Texas can outright grant residency status to strong applicants.

BTW does UT average LSAT scores or do they take the highest? I know the info is somewhere on TLS but I don't remember where to look for it and I'm afraid that it might be outdated for a lot of schools.
1) UT can grant instate tuition rates as a form of scholarship. They're not suddenly making a person gain residency, but they are offering that applicant a scholarship in the form of instate tuition rates. They frequent do this for out of state people with strong numbers and they will sometimes attach an additional scholarship to the instate tuition rate. (I.e., they may give a person instate tuition rate + 9.5k/yr.)

2) A possible explanation to differences in tuition rate is that some people will report instate tuition rate scholarship differently on LSN and some people will already be instate (so it will take a much lower scholarship to constitute a fullride). I would read the individual profiles to try and figure out what the dollar amount really means for each person.

seancris

Silver

Post by seancris » Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:57 am

Thanks for the info. What kind of stips typically come with the scholarships?

Richie Tenenbaum

Gold

Post by Richie Tenenbaum » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:39 am

seancris wrote:Thanks for the info. What kind of stips typically come with the scholarships?
I think all their scholarships just require good standing (AKA don't fail out).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”