Alabama 2L taking Questions... Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
RMFT12

New

Re: Alabama 2L taking Questions...

Post by RMFT12 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:33 pm

Aberzombie1892 wrote:What are your thoughts on Alabama's claim that no one in the class of 2010 had a short term job post graduation? Is this in line with what you have heard/experienced?

I ask because I'm curious, as almost no other law school has 0 people in short term jobs (even Yale has 3 in short term jobs).
I didn't know that was a claim, but of course I would be very surprised if that was the case. As you can imagine, the economy's trickle-down effect has certainly reached Alabama. I don't know anyone personally who graduated that year and is still yet to find employment, but I can tell you that there are a lot of 3Ls without jobs prior to graduation this year.

RMFT12

New

Post by RMFT12 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:35 pm

law777 wrote:What is the culture like at Alabama? What does everyone do for fun, what are the students like, etc.?
I personally think the culture is great. Students tend to be very friendly with one another, and football season is a great stress-reliever in the fall. Compared with what I have heard about other schools, there are fewer cutthroat students at Alabama.

Aberzombie1892

Gold

Post by Aberzombie1892 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:38 pm

RMFT12 wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:What are your thoughts on Alabama's claim that no one in the class of 2010 had a short term job post graduation? Is this in line with what you have heard/experienced?

I ask because I'm curious, as almost no other law school has 0 people in short term jobs (even Yale has 3 in short term jobs).
I didn't know that was a claim, but of course I would be very surprised if that was the case. As you can imagine, the economy's trickle-down effect has certainly reached Alabama. I don't know anyone personally who graduated that year and is still yet to find employment, but I can tell you that there are a lot of 3Ls without jobs prior to graduation this year.
That's pretty impressive, if I do say so myself.

sinstrike

New

Post by sinstrike » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:17 pm

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
RMFT12 wrote:

That's pretty impressive, if I do say so myself.
I agree--the school's relatively smaller class sizes also help. Having less people out there with UA JDs means that when you get yours, it will carry some extra weight because of the school's selectivity.

I just checked the latest USNews rankings and of all the schools in the Top 30 (and even beyond for a bit), Alabama has the second smallest total enrollment out there. That's pretty nifty if you ask me.

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:03 pm

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
Aqualibrium wrote:

How can you expect anyone not in the administration or career services to answer this question, let alone a 2L who certainly wasn't enrolled in the school with and probably didn't even know anyone in the class of 2010?

Seriously what's the game here? You wait until he doesn't answer and give some rant about law school employment transparency, or you wait until he does answer unsatisfactorily, which is guaranteed, and then still give some rant about law school employment transparency?

I just really can't understand the point of or the motive behind asking a student at any school a question like this...
All I did was ask the OP if Alabama's claims were in line with what the OP has heard/experienced.

You're at Alabama too, no? Is it in line with what you have heard/experienced?

The question is not one that can be answered. OP can't have heard or experienced very much about the class of 2010. Even I who knew people in the class of 2010 could never have enough information to say to you that there were 0, 5, 10, etc... people employed in short term jobs.

Your question was basically, "Alabama is lying about a specific job category, right?" With the natural analogue to that question being, "what else are they lying about?"

Like I said, I don't really get your game or see what you hoped to accomplish by asking such a specific question to any student at any school. We as students simply don't have enough information. I honestly couldn't even tell you with any degree of certainty how many 3L's have jobs post graduation and I'm a 3L. I know I have a job, I know the majority of my friends and associates have jobs, and I know that group of 20-30 people is probably not a fair or accurate representation of what's going on in the class of 150+ people as a whole.

I hope this isn't seen as me trying to "defend" my school; to be totally honest, I could care less about that because I firmly believe that people should know what they are getting into before they go here or anywhere else. My issue is that you asked a really silly question that this kid or any other kid couldn't possibly answer, and then suggested an answer.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Aberzombie1892

Gold

Post by Aberzombie1892 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:36 am

What's your "game" here? All I did was ask the OP a completely legitimate question about a topic that I was curious about.

Many (most?) law schools keep track of post graduation plans of students and allow current 1-3Ls to see what types of jobs students in other class years are getting for the the upcoming summer/post graduation. Because I'm not sure if Alabama does this, it made more sense to ask to see if it was in line with what the OP has heard/experienced.
Given that question was related to the OP's personal experience, the question obviously wasn't a scientific in nature. How you interpreted it to be one is beyond me.

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:24 pm

Aberzombie1892 wrote:What's your "game" here? All I did was ask the OP a completely legitimate question about a topic that I was curious about.

Many (most?) law schools keep track of post graduation plans of students and allow current 1-3Ls to see what types of jobs students in other class years are getting for the the upcoming summer/post graduation. Because I'm not sure if Alabama does this, it made more sense to ask to see if it was in line with what the OP has heard/experienced.
Given that question was related to the OP's personal experience, the question obviously wasn't a scientific in nature. How you interpreted it to be one is beyond me.
You asked someone who wasn't even enrolled in any law school when the class of 2010 graduated a question about a specific subset of employment regarding the class of 2010, and then made it a point to note that you had reason to doubt the reported number because xyz better schools don't even report similar numbers. What were you really expecting? Do you honestly believe that question, under these circumstances, directed at this particular person is "legitimate?" That's why I wonder what game you're playing...

If you really wanted to ask a question that this guy could answer, you'd have asked about whether the school keeps track of and allows current students to see specific employment figures, and if not, what this specific student's experience has been during his time at the school.

Aberzombie1892

Gold

Post by Aberzombie1892 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:32 pm

Dude, I asked if that was what s/he had heard or experienced. Obviously, s/he wasn't enrolled at that time. I was wondering if the outcome of the class of 2010 was a consistent outcome. Clearly, the OP would not know the answer to that specific question, so I didn't ask it. I asked if it-was-consistent-with-what-s/he-had-heard-or-experienced. You're reading a lot into the question that simply is not there.

I know finals are going on now, but relax.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”