Case Western Reserve University Law School Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
TLS_user

New

Case Western Reserve University Law School

Post by TLS_user » Sat Oct 08, 2005 3:50 pm

Law School Programs >> Ohio Law Schools

law.cwru.edu
Case Western Reserve University Law School is located in Cleveland, OH. It appears on the Top Law Schools Rankings page.

Please "post a reply" and add any comments you have about Case Law. Many generations of prospective law students will benefit by the information you share.

maitai

New

Post by maitai » Wed May 03, 2006 2:45 pm

I'd appreciate any insight someone can give on CWRU.

Corsair

Gold

Post by Corsair » Sat Dec 09, 2006 4:41 pm

Case2L

Bronze

Post by Case2L » Sun Dec 10, 2006 9:36 pm

The IGSLP is one of the first of its kind. The institute's director, Prof. Guiora, signed a deal w/ Aspen Publishers to write the 1st ever counter-terrorism casebook. The institute also offers labs you can take for credit where you write memos that are actually used by the DoD.

Corsair

Gold

Post by Corsair » Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:13 am

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Case2L

Bronze

Post by Case2L » Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:23 pm

You can concentrate in International Law & take classes under the institute. (sort of an Int'l Law concentration w/ an emphasis in global security). Any student can concentrate in that area. If you want to distinguish yourself, though, you can compete for spots on the Int'l Moot Ct. team, the journal of int'l law, and research fellowship positions with the IGL&P. As a research fellow you are paid, you attend counter-terrorism conferences w/ the FBI & other gov't offices, have articles published in national publications, mingle w/ visiting scholars & speakers, etc.

lawbum

New

Post by lawbum » Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:32 am

ba jingles

KatyMaria

New

Post by KatyMaria » Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:19 pm

I cant believe how long they are taking, I applied back in Nov and still no word...

TheWGP

New

Post by TheWGP » Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:54 pm

null

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

johnnboy

New

Post by johnnboy » Tue May 08, 2007 2:41 am

So what does everyone think of Case? Especially the person who goes there right now. I have heard some very positive things about the school and was wondering what everyone else thinks. Thanks.

Case2L

Bronze

Post by Case2L » Tue May 08, 2007 11:24 pm

I have been very pleased with my experience at Case so far. I've come across students who passed up T20 & even T14 schools & took a free ride @ Case. For most people I wouldn't necessarily recommend going that far, but I'd highly recommend it over schools of similar rank. Ask any questions you might have & I'll try to answer them for you.

johnnboy

New

Employment

Post by johnnboy » Wed May 09, 2007 5:42 pm

I notice that Case has 98.1% of graduates employed within nine months of graduation. I understand that these figures can be very misleading because many people do not report. If you were set on working in Cleveland, and finished in the bottom half of your class at Case would it be possible to obtain decent paying work? Do many students there struggle to find jobs? The cost of living in Cleveland is relatively low so even 50-60K right out of school would be more than enough to live on. Have you heard negative things from your fellow students regarding the school and employment options? Thanks.

Case2L

Bronze

Post by Case2L » Thu May 10, 2007 1:39 pm

According to the ABA, over 98% of the class reported, so that's probably a fairly accurate number, but, as CaseWaste pointed out in the other section, there are misleading elements to that figure. There's enough legal jobs to go around northeastern Ohio that I suspect anyone who graduates from Case & is not a total f**k-up during interviews can get a job in the area. Like all regional schools, the further away you get from the school, the harder it is to market yourself. Most students I've encountered are "realistically" enthusiastic about our school; we realize we don't go to a particularly prestegious law school, but we're optimistic about employment prospects and have relatively little complaints about the education we recieve. The few people I've heard of that aren't finding jobs are the ones who either don't really have a strong drive to practice law anyway, or are those who aren't willing to settle for a less desirable job & are still holding out for that spot in Jones Day. Not every Case grad will get a high-paying job w/ a big firm, but if you're not total reject then you can reasonably expect to secure employment coming out of Case.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

lovinnyc

New

Post by lovinnyc » Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:50 pm

I am applying to law schools this fall and was wondering about the health law program at Case. Case is currently my first choice and I am thinking about applying for early decision. Are any of you going into health law and/or applied early decision and can tell me more about it?

Case2L

Bronze

Post by Case2L » Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:44 pm

Case is a good choice for health law; especially if you're interested in bioethics. In fact, I believe you can pursue a JD/MA in Bioethics or a JD/MPH if you're interested. With Northeastern Ohio's major healthcare industry there's plenty of internship opportunities. The director of the law-medicine program is very approachable; I'd suggest getting in contact with him (maybe the admin dept can help with that) and maybe setting up a meeting to learn more about the program. As for the early decision, I can't really provide much info on that.

Good luck!

lovinnyc

New

Post by lovinnyc » Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:19 pm

Thanks for the information!! I'll keep that in mind and see if I can set up a meeting. AFTER I take the LSAT of course!!!

lovinnyc

New

Re: Case Western Reserve University Law School

Post by lovinnyc » Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:20 pm

So I am 99.9% sure that I will be attending Case in the fall! I'm very, very, very excited!

Can anyone tell me about where most law school students live in the Cleveland area?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Case2L

Bronze

Post by Case2L » Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:09 am

Can anyone tell me about where most law school students live in the Cleveland area?
First, congrats on coming to Case.
Second, the Cleveland area is a great place for grad students to live because it's incredibly cheap. Lots of Case law students (and other grad students, for that matter) live in the Triangle Apartments since it is only a block or two from the law school and it is reasonably priced. Garage parking is included in the rent, which can come in handy during snow storms.
Cleveland Heights and Little Italy also provide significantly less expensive ($600/month or less for 2 bedrooms) apartments within walking distance to Case. These areas are, by urban standards, pretty safe with very little to no violent crime, although property crime will always be a problem with urban campuses.
If you don't mind a little commute, there's some nice trendy loft apartments downtown in the warehouse district, but those are a bit pricier.
http://www.universitycircle.org might be helpful in finding apartments throughout University Circle.

knberger

New

Post by knberger » Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:55 pm

To the person saying it is taking a long time to hear a decision from them... I emailed them and they told me I would hear by May 1st (I went complete in early December). Kind of bogus since the seat deposit for my other schools is due on April 15th, and I am not exactly sure I would get in to Case Western.

LawSchool2008

New

Post by LawSchool2008 » Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:10 am

knberger wrote:To the person saying it is taking a long time to hear a decision from them... I emailed them and they told me I would hear by May 1st (I went complete in early December). Kind of bogus since the seat deposit for my other schools is due on April 15th, and I am not exactly sure I would get in to Case Western.
After I got accepted to my #1, I really enjoyed calling the schools who were taking forever to send me a response and tell them, "I withdraw."

Fiction

New

Post by Fiction » Fri May 14, 2010 5:03 pm

edit
Last edited by Fiction on Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Jimbola

Bronze

Post by Jimbola » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:13 pm

How does Cleveland's nightlife compare with say New York City's? Do most students even get to enjoy aspects of Cleveland's nightlife much? Are there different music scenes in the area?

JK910

New

Post by JK910 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:14 am

Jimbola wrote:How does Cleveland's nightlife compare with say New York City's? Do most students even get to enjoy aspects of Cleveland's nightlife much? Are there different music scenes in the area?
Is this a serious question? How in the world could you compare any city to NYC's nightlife?

There is stuff to do in Cleveland (besides dodging violence) just like any other city. The sport teams suck, but that's nothing new. Cleveland is an okay city, not "cool" or "super desirable" but okay.

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:48 pm

JK910 wrote:
Jimbola wrote:How does Cleveland's nightlife compare with say New York City's? Do most students even get to enjoy aspects of Cleveland's nightlife much? Are there different music scenes in the area?
Is this a serious question? How in the world could you compare any city to NYC's nightlife?

There is stuff to do in Cleveland (besides dodging violence) just like any other city. The sport teams suck, but that's nothing new. Cleveland is an okay city, not "cool" or "super desirable" but okay.
If you're familiar with the "gateway to the Midwest," Cleveland's basically a larger, shittier version of Pittsburgh... on a lake. It's not completely dead (IE, like Buffalo), but it's dead enough.

apeopleshistory

Bronze

Post by apeopleshistory » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:17 am

Last edited by apeopleshistory on Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”