Columbia students taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
BEng,MBA,FRM,JD(?)

Bronze

Re: Columbia students taking questions

Post by BEng,MBA,FRM,JD(?) » Fri Mar 04, 2022 6:54 pm

NeverEverGiveUp wrote:
Thu Mar 03, 2022 1:17 am
Anyone lives in graduate student housing (IAH) on 113, 114? How do they compare with the law school housing, specifically kitchen and bathroom? I heard they are older and you bring your own kitchen appliances. Do they come with microwave and refrigerator?
Am on 120th. Pre-war buildings. Value for money. Acceptable condition. Come with fridge but didn't get a microwave.

NeverEverGiveUp

New

Post by NeverEverGiveUp » Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:57 am

BrainsyK wrote:
Fri Mar 04, 2022 1:31 am
NeverEverGiveUp wrote:
Thu Mar 03, 2022 1:17 am
Anyone lives in graduate student housing (IAH) on 113, 114? How do they compare with the law school housing, specifically kitchen and bathroom? I heard they are older and you bring your own kitchen appliances. Do they come with microwave and refrigerator?
I did but on 118. Both were disgusting, but it's way cheaper and definitely the better deal. Yes on the fridge and microwave (either that or every apartment has had someone who brought a microwave and has never taken it).
They were disgusting? Lol I hope by that you mean “old” ?

Anyone on 114th can chime in? You can also get paired with graduate students from other schools it appears. So cultural differences and different views on acceptable level of cleanliness may become a challenge.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:02 pm

New_Englander wrote:
Fri Mar 04, 2022 6:38 pm
What’s the sense on how difficult it is to get D.C call backs and offers from CLS? I’m really hoping to practice international trade law.
Not sure if still relevant, but I work in DC, trade is part of my practice (at a major shop), and I have several friends who do primarily trade work in DC, all from CLS. Happy to discuss.

bearbearbear2

New

Post by bearbearbear2 » Mon Jul 25, 2022 4:52 pm

Incoming 1L hello! I've read some of the posts regarding what someone should expect if they want CA BL with no ties, but I'd like to get a sense of how much of a safety net I have as someone who lived in CA their whole life, attended one of Stanford or Cal for undergrad, and has family in CA. Obviously I still want to get as good grades as possible, but if anyone has any insight pls lmk! To be honest, I'm not even sure 1000% that I want to return to CA (more like 80%, but I've never experienced NYC before) so I dunno if I should feel weird about potentially joining CalSoc
Prefer LA or OC but open to SV, SF

BEng,MBA,FRM,JD(?)

Bronze

Post by BEng,MBA,FRM,JD(?) » Mon Jul 25, 2022 5:48 pm

bearbearbear2 wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 4:52 pm
Incoming 1L hello! I've read some of the posts regarding what someone should expect if they want CA BL with no ties, but I'd like to get a sense of how much of a safety net I have as someone who lived in CA their whole life, attended one of Stanford or Cal for undergrad, and has family in CA. Obviously I still want to get as good grades as possible, but if anyone has any insight pls lmk! To be honest, I'm not even sure 1000% that I want to return to CA (more like 80%, but I've never experienced NYC before) so I dunno if I should feel weird about potentially joining CalSoc
Prefer LA or OC but open to SV, SF
I don't think you should face any problems getting Ca BL with your ties. SoCal may be harder than NorCal but still doable with your ties. OC may need the most contacts.
I had absolute zero ties (but had a compelling reason to move to CA). I live in OC and will start in LA BL. As a data point: I had a much easier time getting top NYC law firm offers. The only LA BL offer I got was as a 3L. But if I can get one, am sure you can get one or likely more with your ties and a compelling narrative. Goodluck and feel free to PM if you have questions.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”