Looking for inside information about Stetson Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
cutecarmel

Silver

Looking for inside information about Stetson

Post by cutecarmel » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:55 pm

Hey everyone,

There was a Stetson post under this topic, but its a bit outdated and I would like to revive it.

I would like advice/opinions from law students/graduates of Stetson (or other schools in Florida). For those of you who have a "T14 or bust" attitude, I'm sure you have good intentions (or maybe you don't) but I am honestly not looking for your opinion in this particular post.

Stetson is pretty high on my list right now. I am well aware that Stetson is a regional school and won't get me a big law job, but I have no issue living/practicing in the area and I have not interest in BigLaw.

How do you think Stetson prepares students in comparison to other schools in the state? (I'm not concerned with rankings, but qualitative issues)
If you go to, or know anyone who goes to Stetson, how do they like it?

I'm basically just trying to get an insider's look into Stetson, so any advice that I can get from students/graduates of Stetson or other schools in Florida would be greatly appreciated. :D

LawSchoolChampion

Bronze

Re: Looking for inside information about Stetson

Post by LawSchoolChampion » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:22 am

It's a solid school, and they have a great program geared towards training trial lawyers.

From everything I've been told, the legal education at UF, FSU, U Miami, and Stetson are roughly equal. You'll get a solid legal education at these law schools (for Florida), but that does not mean you will secure a job. **That is not to say that UF/FSU aren't better, but the general consensus from Florida professors is that they are pretty equal.** Once more, employment is an entirely different game.

I've heard negative things about their employment prospects, and I don't know what you'd be able to do with a Stetson degree (to say, where you could get a job).

Hopefully someone else can help you a bit more.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:26 am

Central FL legal market is a barren wasteland thanks to the recession. The actual Stetson education is fine, but that's not what's important. Not a terrible idea if you can go for free or close to it (or have a job lined up beforehand), but outside of those limited situations, I wouldn't go.

Also it's harder to get a job in central FL if you're not from here. Tampa is pretty good 'ol boy (Orlando less so though).

cutecarmel

Silver

Post by cutecarmel » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:33 am

Thanks LawSchoolChampion.

Thanks Grizz, I'm wondering if you're working in the FL legal market, or what connections you have to the area (I'm not being a smartass, I swear. I just want to know where I'm getting my info from). I have a full ride and I'm am pretty confident in my ability to network and get a job lined up before I graduate.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:37 am

cutecarmel wrote: Thanks Grizz, I'm wondering if you're working in the FL legal market, or what connections you have to the area (I'm not being a smartass, I swear. I just want to know where I'm getting my info from). I have a full ride and I'm am pretty confident in my ability to network and get a job lined up before I graduate.
From the area, family of lawyers in the area (in govt., large firms, and small firms), worked in small firms in college, just applied for jobs here during 2L OCI, and I know a ton of people at UF, FSU and Stetson.

Full ride's not terrible, as long as you have no stipulations on it. But if you have the numbers for a full ride, you can probably get into UF, and I'd probably go there of you can (if you can get instate tuition). Stetson doesn't travel well out of central FL.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cutecarmel

Silver

Post by cutecarmel » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:45 am

Thanks again.

I do have a stipulation, but nothing I am worried about. I am perfectly ok with living in central FL, and if I wanted to leave, it would be after establishing myself somewhat and establishing my own reputation rather than relying on my school's. I really don't want to go to UF. I have a couple full-ride offers at other schools, but programs, location, community, etc. are drawing me towards Stetson.

Have you ever known of someone who regretted their decision to go to Stetson? Sorry for drilling you, but I haven't seen a lot of people on this site from FL (and the info might be useful for other applicants)
Grizz wrote:
cutecarmel wrote: Thanks Grizz, I'm wondering if you're working in the FL legal market, or what connections you have to the area (I'm not being a smartass, I swear. I just want to know where I'm getting my info from). I have a full ride and I'm am pretty confident in my ability to network and get a job lined up before I graduate.
From the area, family of lawyers in the area (in govt., large firms, and small firms), worked in small firms in college, just applied for jobs here during 2L OCI, and I know a ton of people at UF, FSU and Stetson.

Full ride's not terrible, as long as you have no stipulations on it. But if you have the numbers for a full ride, you can probably get into UF, and I'd probably go there of you can (if you can get instate tuition). Stetson doesn't travel well out of central FL.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:50 am

It doesn't travel well outside of central FL and it's freaking hard to get a job in central FL.
cutecarmel wrote: Have you ever known of someone who regretted their decision to go to Stetson?
You don't really meet those people because they don't get legal jobs. A buddy of mine just decided not to go to Stetson though. I've met people who've regretted their decision to go to UF or are in school regretting it now though. This place is insanely overlawyered.

edit: Oh forgot to mention that hiring at PD/DA/etc. has tanked due to budget cuts. A decent amount of Stetson people got that back in the day.

Oh also I did meet some Stetson 1L dude at a bar who was literally going to drop out if he was not in the top 10% or 15% of the class or whatever after 1L. Good thing he actually made it somehow.

jess

Post by jess » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:49 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”