Who Cares? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Qwerty12345

New

Who Cares?

Post by Qwerty12345 » Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:31 am

Hey,

I was wondering if T14s care about student attendance or not.
For example if someone were to have a part-time (20h per week) job 1L through 3L, not because of money but merely because they very much enjoy the job they have and worked hard to get it, so would not want to quit in order to attend law school, (and assuming they will be able to use the knowledge that law school brings them in that same job, on a now full-time basis) would they be able to keep it, even though it involves missing an average of 2 lectures a week at worse (as in, in a bad month, maybe attending all lectures Week 1, missing 4 lectures Week 2, missing 1 lecture Week 3, missing 3 lectures Week 4) ?

Heck, this is a long sentence, sorry...
My question is, is there any repercussions that come with missing a substantial amount of lectures, besides the info you miss and the fact that nobody will want to be in a study group with you?

Thank you.

The Valkyrie

Bronze

Re: Who Cares?

Post by The Valkyrie » Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:24 pm

Depends on your professor entirely ime. I had some that wouldn't give As to anyone who missed a single lecture, others that couldn't care less about attendance.

Shooter

Bronze

Post by Shooter » Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:29 pm

Wait, so you already have the job that you want to have post-law school?

Why, then, would you enroll in law school?

3 years and 100-200k (depending on the savings/scholarships that you may/may not have) is an awfully expensive 'supplement' to your job-related knowledge.

This probably didn't help at all. Just thinking out loud.

ThreeRivers

Silver

Post by ThreeRivers » Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:32 pm

Shooter wrote:Wait, so you already have the job that you want to have post-law school?

Why, then, would you enroll in law school?

3 years and 100-200k (depending on the savings/scholarships that you may/may not have) is an awfully expensive 'supplement' to your job-related knowledge.

This probably didn't help at all. Just thinking out loud.
My only guess would be they work for some company that they believe if they stay with them they will later hire them as an attorney?

The Valkyrie

Bronze

Post by The Valkyrie » Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:36 pm

It sounds like its just a part time job, maybe no potential for a full time thing there.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Qwerty12345

New

Post by Qwerty12345 » Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:38 pm

idk, I could see how somebody could start their own very small company and take care of the managing stuff, but then want to be able to take care of their own legal stuff too without hiring an expensive firm to do it, so they would need to go to LS but still manage the firm, meet with potential investors, have other sort of commitments?
Or, some assistant professor in econ who would like to apply for a research prof position in law and economics and needs the law degree but loves teaching and would like to keep teaching the few classes he has?
Or, some musician who has a band/orchestra, and has to attend a few rehearsals/week in the morning but mostly plays at night so needs something to do during daytime, and this might as well be law school?
Or someone enrolled in a non-coordinated JD/PhD (different schools, not an actual program so classes conflicting, like they got into UofC JD but not into their PhD econ so they go to Northwestern for the PhD part and they'd rather not pause the PhD to do the JD and be 35+ when they get out of school *nothing against older people*)?

This situation could represent a bunch of different and plausible scenarios IMO.
But the general consensus is that you cannot know if your prof are going to be OK with this until you actually start?

sunynp

Gold

Post by sunynp » Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:41 pm

Qwerty12345 wrote:idk, I could see how somebody could start their own very small company and take care of the managing stuff, but then want to be able to take care of their own legal stuff too without hiring an expensive firm to do it, so they would need to go to LS but still manage the firm, meet with potential investors, have other sort of commitments?
Or, some assistant professor in econ who would like to apply for a research prof position in law and economics and needs the law degree but loves teaching and would like to keep teaching the few classes he has?
Or, some musician who has a band/orchestra, and has to attend a few rehearsals/week in the morning but mostly plays at night so needs something to do during daytime, and this might as well be law school?
Or someone enrolled in a non-coordinated JD/PhD (different schools, not an actual program so classes conflicting, like they got into UofC JD but not into their PhD econ so they go to Northwestern for the PhD part and they'd rather not pause the PhD to do the JD and be 35+ when they get out of school *nothing against older people*)?

This situation could represent a bunch of different and plausible scenarios IMO.
But the general consensus is that you cannot know if your prof are going to be OK with this until you actually start?
None of these are good reasons to go to law school - unless you can go without spending a dime.

Also there are limits on how much a student can work when they are in school (under ABA guidelines) - but I'm not sure how they would apply in the scenarios you describe, as the person would not be working in a law firm.

I think that you are correct, there is no way to find out in advance what a professor's policy is, I guess you could call the school and ask if they have an overall policy. You might be able to work something out with the professor depending on the circumstances. I had to miss school due to the hurricane and my professors were very understanding. I'm not sure how they would feel if I missed because of a job, maybe they would understand if I spoke to them in advance about it. I just hate missing class, so I personally wouldn't take the route you are describing.
Last edited by sunynp on Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:44 pm

Don't take on any obligation that will require you to miss class as a 1L. The hypo you described ("attending all lectures Week 1, missing 4 lectures Week 2, missing 1 lecture Week 3, missing 3 lectures Week 4") is a recipe for failure. I'm not sure what makes you think this would be a good idea.

Qwerty12345

New

Post by Qwerty12345 » Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:48 pm

Thanks! I was just wondering about it, and how to plan my career/studies in general.

chasgoose

Silver

Post by chasgoose » Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:59 pm

Qwerty12345 wrote:Thanks! I was just wondering about it, and how to plan my career/studies in general.
Not sure if this is a troll, but at NYU at least, we only have 7 "classes" a week not including Lawyering. Also, you can't miss Lawyering ever, as the main criterion for passing that class is showing up.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”