Quinnipiac Law Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
DonDrapersAttorney

New

Quinnipiac Law

Post by DonDrapersAttorney » Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:41 am

So I just received a pretty substantial scholarship to Quinnipiac. I'd love to hear from a current or former student on how they feel about job prospects in Connecticut. Hamden, and subsequently New Haven, seems like an awesome place to spend three years. The small class size and steadily increasing ranks both look promising.

ryemanhattan

Bronze

Re: Quinnipiac Law

Post by ryemanhattan » Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:07 am

A friend of mine graduated from Quinnipiac a couple years back... she is a public defender in CT now. She told me that most people coming out weren't happy with their jobs right after school, and that it is (not surprisingly) not looked upon as favorably as UConn Law by employers. She liked it there and had positive things to say about the teachers.

I think it's a decent gamble that Quinnipiac will continue to rise in rankings, settling somewhere in the T2. And it's a beautiful campus (I used to run cross country nearby in high school... great trails). So, yeah, the employment prospects aren't great right now but are probably no worse than any other law school outside the top 100.

New Haven is not having a great year regarding violent crime (on track to break it's murder record) but it's a fun city... certainly the best city in CT for restaurants, bars, live music, etc. I'd be happy to attend Quinnipiac were the job options a bit more solid when you get out. Hypothetically, if I had a half ride at Quinnipiac or sticker at UConn, I would maybe still take UConn. But I'd have to think about it.

mrtoren

Silver

Post by mrtoren » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:35 pm

Tough call. Connecticut is a small state for three law schools. Even after the Yale grads vacate the area, you still have U Connecticut dominating what little market there is. If you're interested in public interest, government, or very small firm work, then Quinnipiac may be a decent choice for you. However, if you want to work for bigger firms and pull in a better salary, you'll need to focus on U Connecticut or bust.

DonDrapersAttorney

New

Post by DonDrapersAttorney » Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:01 pm

Thanks everybody, I appreciate the straight forward but realistic comments. I've gotten into a few schools at sticker, but it's really hard to say no to the scholarship, I'd be graduating with very little debt, it's a 3/4ths tuition offer, and since I don't really factor in CoL since that's gonna to happen regardless (although living in New Haven/Hamden is still moderately cheaper than my other, bigger city, offers).

Rye, do you know about where your friend fell in regard to class rank? Also, any idea how many years ago your friend graduated? I was looking at their numbers since they started, and they were still tier 4 as of about 2004/2005 from what I can tell. Thanks for the help guys.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”