Which would you choose? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.

Risk for more substantial reward or Guaranteed Partner?

Vault for sure!
24%
Guaranteed partner!
76%

Total votes: 21

Anonymous User

Which would you choose?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:16 pm

Say you are top 10% LR at MVPB.

Would you choose:

Going to a V10-25 firm and giving biglaw a shot trying to become partner and if not moving to in house?

or

Going to a mid size firm (50 attorneys, mostly partners and about 50-75 support staff) in a mid size city that starts just below market (140-150k) that is partner heavy and you are almost guaranteed to make partner in less than 8 years at. Lets say these partners are, on average, making around 300K. Smaller work (everything is local or at most state bound).

Please post if anything else about the mid size firm would affect your decision and ill post it.

c3pO4

Silver

Re: Which would you choose?

Post by c3pO4 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Say you are top 10% LR at MVPB.

Would you choose:

Going to a V10-25 firm and giving biglaw a shot trying to become partner and if not moving to in house?

or

Going to a mid size firm (50 attorneys, mostly partners and about 50-75 support staff) in a mid size city that starts just below market (140-150k) that is partner heavy and you are almost guaranteed to make partner in less than 8 years at. Lets say these partners are, on average, making around 300K. Smaller work (everything is local or at most state bound).

Please post if anything else about the mid size firm would affect your decision and ill post it.
I stopped reading at guaranteed partner.

Kiersten1985

Silver

Post by Kiersten1985 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:39 pm

This all depends on whether you would rather be a "partner" at any ol' firm or go in house/mid-size firm later on.

I would take Vault, no question. And not simply for the "prestige" of it. For the training, type of work you'll see, networking and the doors it will open for you later on (some might say that's prestige but I think it's more strategy. Write your ticket to somewhere after. You're losing a lot of opportunities going to the other place.

The only exception would be if the smaller firm is in the precise town you know you want to live in for the rest of your life and all you want out of being a lawyer is working on small, local issues in that particular town. Nothing wrong with it, but it doesn't sound like that's what you want.

Finally, partner-heavy sounds awful. Wouldn't that mean more scrapping for work and less help with the grunt work?

Blindmelon

Gold

Post by Blindmelon » Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:49 pm

50 person firm that starts that high? Are the hours a lot better than the firm? If so, no question midsize. Preftige is not worth hours if the pay isn't much better.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:52 pm

This stinks of 0L nonsense.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:28 pm

Grizz wrote:This stinks of 0L nonsense.
OP here,

I work at this midsize firm i am speaking of. I am an 0L. there are about 45 partners and 5-6 associates. And yes, every person hired is fully expected to make partner. I do not believe the PPP here is extremely high, but I could be wrong.

c3pO4

Silver

Post by c3pO4 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
OP here,

I work at this midsize firm i am speaking of. I am an 0L. there are about 45 partners and 5-6 associates. And yes, every person hired is fully expected to make partner. I do not believe the PPP here is extremely high, but I could be wrong.
lol. i'm sure that's what they say.

--firm could go under
--new partners might revisit the policy
--firm might not be able to sustain making everyone partner indefinitely
--partners could defect to a different or bigger firm and not take all associates

etc etc etc. you are a 0L talking about partnership prospects. do you realize how dumb that is? have you even taken the lsat? you definitely don't know what your 1L grades are. You probably think you will be top 10% like every other 0L. Chill out and don't ask stupid questions about vault vs your midlaw firm when you are an 0L.

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:36 pm

This is ridiculous. Though I guess you can't expect a 0L to understand that MANY smaller firms say the very same thing (since its a way to make a sell over large firms).

monkey85

Bronze

Post by monkey85 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:40 pm

What kind of law do you want to do?

Choosing between the two listed options is nearly impossible if we (and seems like you also) do not know the end goal. The series of bimodal outcomes (Corporate vs. Litigation, if Corporate - Finance vs. M&A, if M&A - Private Equity vs. Public Company, etc.) won't end unless you know where you want it to go.

Take some time to narrow down your legal goals. Then, I'm sure this board can be more helpful.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Ikki

Bronze

Post by Ikki » Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:44 pm

Why hasn't this preposterous bullshit been closed? I thought mod policy was to lock threads started by 0Ls in this forum.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
OP here,

Your thead sucks. No, I will not assume top 10% at MVPB.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:47 pm

Kiersten1985 wrote:This all depends on whether you would rather be a "partner" at any ol' firm or go in house/mid-size firm later on.

I would take Vault, no question. And not simply for the "prestige" of it. For the training, type of work you'll see, networking and the doors it will open for you later on (some might say that's prestige but I think it's more strategy. Write your ticket to somewhere after. You're losing a lot of opportunities going to the other place.

The only exception would be if the smaller firm is in the precise town you know you want to live in for the rest of your life and all you want out of being a lawyer is working on small, local issues in that particular town. Nothing wrong with it, but it doesn't sound like that's what you want.

Finally, partner-heavy sounds awful. Wouldn't that mean more scrapping for work and less help with the grunt work?
There seems to be plenty of work to go around. But yes I would say it is more local, although we do deal with multi million dollar cases.

There is enough support staff here with paralegals and clerks that attorneys do not seem to do "grunt" work although many do their own research. I have no idea if this is normal.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:49 pm

Ugh, I dont know why people are hating.

I have a friend who had an SA here over the summer. HE is top 10% and on law review at UVA. HE turned down this firms offer for a much more reputable firm. I will not out him of course. I just dont see how one could do that knowing that partner is in grasp where as everyone talks about how hard it is at other firms.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:53 pm

I am saying that this firm has been around for a good while, no associate has ever not been given partner offer (though some have left for other firms).

It was more a matter of curiosity than deciding my lifes plan.

Yes I took the LSAT, yes I will be attending a T14 next year (deferred from last year for this opportunity). No, no idea where I will be in the class and I dont assume I will be T10%

Just curious to get peoples perspective.

ben4847

Silver

Post by ben4847 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:07 pm

I'm changing my vote. Go for the big firm, and lateral down into the small one after few years if you really want that.

nygrrrl

Gold

Post by nygrrrl » Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:14 pm

Um, OP? What exactly are you DOING at this firm? Are you a paralegal?
(She said, contemplating shutting this thing down...)
(nevermind. this thread is now where it belongs. carry on.)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”