Computer for Law School Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.

Mac v. PC

Mac
61%
PC
39%

Total votes: 64

Kristyrr

New

Computer for Law School

Post by Kristyrr » Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:25 pm

So my computer is pretty much dead at this point and need a new one. I am currently using a Macbook Pro and have loved it for the 4 years that I've had it. I know that both Macs and PCs have gone through major revamping since I last bought a computer. So I don't know which to get. I will be starting law school in the fall and was wondering if there were a preference of Mac or PC for law students. I know that pretty much all law schools are compatible with both, which makes the decision that much harder.

narwhal

New

Re: Computer for Law School

Post by narwhal » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:27 am

Kristyrr wrote:So my computer is pretty much dead at this point and need a new one. I am currently using a Macbook Pro and have loved it for the 4 years that I've had it. I know that both Macs and PCs have gone through major revamping since I last bought a computer. So I don't know which to get. I will be starting law school in the fall and was wondering if there were a preference of Mac or PC for law students. I know that pretty much all law schools are compatible with both, which makes the decision that much harder.
Personally, I prefer PCs, but only because I grew up with them -- Macs have their advantages, too (durability, etc). The bottom line, I think, is that as long as your school doesn't require one or the other, you should use the one you are more comfortable with. The fewer adjustments you have to make during 1L year, the better.

Titleist

Silver

Post by Titleist » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:42 am

I have a MacBook Pro 13.5 inch and I absolutely love it. I always used a PC but mine crashed my junior year. I am so glad I made the switch. Besides being more efficient it is super portable.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:27 am

Pick one or the other based on which you like, they are pretty much completely interchangeable.

I would go for one of the new PC Ultrabooks, personally.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:43 am

I wanted to select both because I am using parallels with Windows XP as a virtual machine on a MBP 15 and it does both OS wonderfully concurrently. My wife has a new Mac Book Air and it runs equally as well with XP.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:15 pm

I love the new 13" Macbook Air. It's thin, light, has decent battery life, and is more powerful than my old 2009 Macbook Pro. Unless you need a CD/DVD drive (they're actually really easy to live without these days), it's a good choice.

c3pO4

Silver

Post by c3pO4 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:32 pm

You had a MBP for 4 years and you're asking whether to get a PC? WTF is wrong with you man. Macs are compatible with the exam software, if that's what your asking.

lifestooquick

Silver

Post by lifestooquick » Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:34 pm

I have, and love, both. I use my PC laptop for law school simply because I LOVE LOVE LOVE OneNote. And, yes, I know about Circus Ponies, but I just don't like it as much.

introversional

Bronze

Post by introversional » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:34 pm

I've been PC for life; thinking of switching to the Mac-side. (macbook air 13 inch or pro, not sure)

What is the oddest/quirkiest/most unnatural thing I can expect if I do this transition and how long will it feel weird?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:45 pm

For me, it was two things. One, Windows offers a lot of options that you can customize, and Macs are more controlled. I'm sure there is some way to do a lot of the same things, but you can't just go to Control Panel and change any damn thing you want. And two, right-clicking. I do that all the time, and any time I use a Mac, it drives me nuts that you can't.

Other than that, it won't take very long at all to adjust.

headandshoulderos

Bronze

Post by headandshoulderos » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:57 pm

kalvano wrote:For me, it was two things. One, Windows offers a lot of options that you can customize, and Macs are more controlled. I'm sure there is some way to do a lot of the same things, but you can't just go to Control Panel and change any damn thing you want. And two, right-clicking. I do that all the time, and any time I use a Mac, it drives me nuts that you can't.

Other than that, it won't take very long at all to adjust.
1 - Mac is a more easily customizable operating system. There are few settings you can't change, that you would want to change. The Mac OS is unbelievably better than windows.

2 - Mac's allow a secondary click, it's much easier than PC's. What you are missing is a two button mouse, which is antiquated and much clumsier. Also, the Mac trackpad is 5 years ahead of any PC trackpad on the market.

HTH. Windows sucks.

T00L

Silver

Post by T00L » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:57 pm

FWIW - These days all mac laptops have right-click. Actually the "trackpad" on a mac is infinitely more advanced than their PC cousins.

EDIT: apparently the poster above me and I had the same worthy response at the same time.....so..... double proof!

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:11 pm

It's always fun to see Mac fanboys presenting opinion as utter fact.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Zazelmaf

Bronze

Post by Zazelmaf » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:19 pm

I use pen and paper, it's the most reliable. However, next would be mac. Windows sucks.

headandshoulderos

Bronze

Post by headandshoulderos » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:21 pm

kalvano wrote:It's always fun to see Mac fanboys presenting opinion as utter fact.
It's always fun to see Windows users try to justify their inferior products.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:10 pm

kalvano wrote:It's always fun to see Mac fanboys presenting opinion as utter fact.
headandshoulderos wrote:inferior products.

headandshoulderos

Bronze

Post by headandshoulderos » Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:39 pm

Inevitably all windows users can fall back on is that mac users are passionate about apple. For some reason, this is considered a diss.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

coldshoulder

Silver

Post by coldshoulder » Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:43 pm

Cool. This argument has never been done before.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:02 pm

lifestooquick wrote:I have, and love, both. I use my PC laptop for law school simply because I LOVE LOVE LOVE OneNote. And, yes, I know about Circus Ponies, but I just don't like it as much.
I agree with OneNote. I use it on my mac.

introversional

Bronze

Post by introversional » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:28 pm

I'm such a douche. I've been a lifelong PC user but due to my 1L'ness, have become intrigued by the form/aesthetic and glowing white apple on those slimmer, more attractive, silver macs. All the dumb broads in my section are also taking far more artful notes than I am on my 8 year old Dell. Their notes seem more colorful and memorable than mine. This is not reverse-sarcasm PC trolling; I genuinely think masterful form is sometimes an alluring/relevant thing with technology. However, I'm going to need some more pro-mac facts in terms of it's programs, user-friendliness, reliability, and so forth, otherwise, I may have to un-douche myself and go buy a $600 lenovo instead. Please advise. I'm confused.

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:34 pm

Regardless of opinion about the trackpad, saying you cannot right-click is simply wrong. Click with two fingers on the track pad or hold Ctrl while clicking if on non-trackpad Mac.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:36 pm

introversional wrote:I've been PC for life; thinking of switching to the Mac-side. (macbook air 13 inch or pro, not sure)

What is the oddest/quirkiest/most unnatural thing I can expect if I do this transition and how long will it feel weird?
You can't quit a program by hitting the tiny red button in the corner of the window. It will still be running, you just won't have any windows open. Outside of that, there's basically no adjustment.

introversional

Bronze

Post by introversional » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:40 pm

Renzo wrote:
introversional wrote:I've been PC for life; thinking of switching to the Mac-side. (macbook air 13 inch or pro, not sure)

You can't quit a program by hitting the tiny red button in the corner of the window. It will still be running, you just won't have any windows open. Outside of that, there's basically no adjustment.
Wtf, well then how do you quickly close programs or browser windows then? Sorry for these trivial questions, but I'm mac-tarded.

Also, are there any quirks involved with created folders, sub-folders, etc, on a macbook?

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:43 pm

introversional wrote:
Renzo wrote:

Wtf, well then how do you quickly close programs or browser windows then? Sorry for these trivial questions, but I'm mac-tarded.

Also, are there any quirks involved with created folders, sub-folders, etc, on a macbook?
Clicking the red dot sometimes closes the window. In fact PCs, do this as well for some (albeit less) programs. For some programs, clicking the red dot simply closes the window and minimizes it to the task bar. E.g., Word will still technically be open if you close all of the windows. You can force it close by right-clicking in the dock and closing it there. There is really no reason to though in most cases, the task manager halts the process so it's not consuming battery power or resources.
Last edited by 03121202698008 on Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lsatcrazy

Bronze

Post by lsatcrazy » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:44 pm

2 Words: Boot Camp.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”