University of Arizona 1L Taking a Few Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Veyron

Gold

Re: University of Arizona 1L Taking a Few Questions

Post by Veyron » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:07 pm

Class rank to get biglaw in AZ?

Need to be from Tucson to break into legal market down there?

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:23 pm

Lawquacious wrote:
Veyron wrote:Class rank to get biglaw in AZ?

Need to be from Tucson to break into legal market down there?

Well, according to NLJ, I think last year U of AZ was under 10% graduate placement to NLJ firms; however, I think there are a bunch of mid-size PHX and Tucson firms that hire U of AZ graduates (and this may fly under NLJ stats). It's hard for me to say class rank needed; a 2L would prob be better at addressing this in terms of SAs; and a recent grad in terms of actual hires after 3L. The people I know of who are on law review (generally apprx. top 10-15% prob since you can grade-on or write-on) seem to get SAs with large PHX firms for 2L summer if they are looking for them. One 2L I know of got a large NYC firm for this summer.

I defintitely don't think you have to be from Tucson to break the Tucson market (I am assuming you mean from Tucson as in a U of AZ student, because most U of AZ law students aren't from Tucson). I interviewed with a Fed law clerk a few weeks ago who went to WUSTL, and I had lunch recently with lawyer who graduated from Gtown many years ago (who is very successful to say the least). I have heard of a Gtown student struggling to find work here recently though (although apparently he did finally get a job). So I think it can be somewhat difficult, but coming from a T14 I imagine you would have a good shot, especially if you did fairly well there. A lot of the firms in AZ seem to really want to see law review coming from the AZ law schools, but obviously that may not be the case if they were looking at a T14 grad.
I don't put much stock in the NLJ 250 numbers for a host of reasons, not the least of which is that many of the best firms in AZ aren't part of it. By biglaw I meant any decently paying firm in AZ that hires from its summer program. Let me ask in a different way:

More employers signed up for OCI next year?
Were summer classes larger this year than last? Are they projected to be still larger next year?

david787

Bronze

Post by david787 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:33 pm

Where do most law students live (are there particular areas or buildings or are they spread out)?

3ThrowAway99

Gold

Post by 3ThrowAway99 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:37 pm

david787 wrote:Where do most law students live (are there particular areas or buildings or are they spread out)?
Most students live within a mile or so of the law school I think. I live a couple miles north. Generally most people want to live north or northeast of the campus I would say. The housing in Tucson is very affordable. I am pretty satisfied with my apt. A lot of ppl share houses with other students.

To more directly address your parenthetical, I don't think there are particular complexes where AZ law students tend to stay, but I could be wrong about that. So I think ppl are fairly spread out, with the exception being that many students do seem to live close to campus.
Last edited by 3ThrowAway99 on Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

david787

Bronze

Post by david787 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:40 pm

Lawquacious wrote:
david787 wrote:Where do most law students live (are there particular areas or buildings or are they spread out)?
Most students live within a mile or so of the law school I think. I live a couple miles north. Generally most people want to live north or northeast of the campus I would say. The housing in Tucson is very affordable. I am pretty satisfied with my apt. A lot of ppl share houses with other students.
Cool, thanks. I'm going to the open house April 16 so that should answer most other questions, has there been anything surprisingly positive about your first year that you hadn't expected? Where else were you considering accepting?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:48 pm

Lawquacious wrote:
Veyron wrote:
I don't put much stock in the NLJ 250 numbers for a host of reasons, not the least of which is that many of the best firms in AZ aren't part of it. By biglaw I meant any decently paying firm in AZ that hires from its summer program. Let me ask in a different way:

Were summer classes larger this year than last? Are they projected to be still larger next year?

It's hard for me to say how this year compares to last in terms of any upward trend because I wasn't here last year. We had maybe 10 employers who participated in spring OCI (which is mainly geared toward the 1Ls), but I don't know that all those positions were paying, and the ones that did pay were prob $20-30 per hour. I think that the fall OCI is bigger and geared more toward 2Ls, but I haven't participated in it yet. I'm prob not the best person to ask for detail jobs info because I am still in the middle of my 1L year and still looking for a 1L gig. I have had quite a few interviews but no luck though. A lot of my peers have jobs lined up (such as Fed judicial externships, AG office etc). The vast majority of 1Ls are taking volunteer positions, and some of us are still struggling even to land a volunteer spot (such as myself; I did fairly well grade-wise, but we aren't ranked until after 1L. Next year that is prob changing).

* I should mention that in addition to the Spring OCI there was the Sonoron Job fair in Feb, which had more like 20-30 employers. Almost all those positions were volunteer though. I wish I had applied to more of them (such as AG).
All right then, thanks for the information. Why would you say you are having trouble in the market? Do you feel you lack some characteristic that local employers are looking for?

I'm trying to get a handle on what market likes and doesn't like with regard to law students. I only interviewed with one organization in AZ so my knowledge is limited.
Last edited by Veyron on Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

3ThrowAway99

Gold

Post by 3ThrowAway99 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:57 pm

Veyron wrote:
Lawquacious wrote:
Veyron wrote:

It's hard for me to say how this year compares to last in terms of any upward trend because I wasn't here last year. We had maybe 10 employers who participated in spring OCI (which is mainly geared toward the 1Ls), but I don't know that all those positions were paying, and the ones that did pay were prob $20-30 per hour. I think that the fall OCI is bigger and geared more toward 2Ls, but I haven't participated in it yet. I'm prob not the best person to ask for detail jobs info because I am still in the middle of my 1L year and still looking for a 1L gig. I have had quite a few interviews but no luck though. A lot of my peers have jobs lined up (such as Fed judicial externships, AG office etc). The vast majority of 1Ls are taking volunteer positions, and some of us are still struggling even to land a volunteer spot (such as myself; I did fairly well grade-wise, but we aren't ranked until after 1L. Next year that is prob changing).

* I should mention that in addition to the Spring OCI there was the Sonoron Job fair in Feb, which had more like 20-30 employers. Almost all those positions were volunteer though. I wish I had applied to more of them (such as AG).
All right then, thanks for the information. Why would you say you are having trouble in the market? Do you feel you lack some characteristic that local employers are looking for?

I'm trying to get a handle on what people want in a law students. I only interviewed with one organization in AZ.

No prob. Well, I'm not the only one who is still looking for a 1L position by any means (and I think some of those still looking did fairly well like myself grade-wise). As I indicated though, I didn't apply to all the available slots for one of the job fairs; I think that was a mistake. I just wasn't interested in everything, but now I just need something legal-related for the summer. I did put in for a lot of openings though. I do think that in my case there could be some additional factors that aren't helping though, including the fact that I a bit older than most law students, have had some inconsistent (but also valuable) work history, and probably didn't do the best job of interviewing (ie. fairly nervous during some of the interviews).

azkj

New

Post by azkj » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:47 pm

Lawquacious wrote:
Veyron wrote:
Lawquacious wrote:
Veyron wrote:

I'm trying to get a handle on what people want in a law students. I only interviewed with one organization in AZ.

No prob. Well, I'm not the only one who is still looking for a 1L position by any means (and I think some of those still looking did fairly well like myself grade-wise). As I indicated though, I didn't apply to all the available slots for one of the job fairs; I think that was a mistake. I just wasn't interested in everything, but now I just need something legal-related for the summer. I did put in for a lot of openings though. I do think that in my case there could be some additional factors that aren't helping though, including the fact that I a bit older than most law students, have had some inconsistent (but also valuable) work history, and probably didn't do the best job of interviewing (ie. fairly nervous during some of the interviews).

Would you mind elaborating on why you think your age & work experience are working against you? Thx!

ColomboHeat

New

Post by ColomboHeat » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:34 pm

is it unreasonable to expect to find a 2-bedroom house for rent near campus for < $800/mo? (Where do I look?)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

cool of law

Bronze

Post by cool of law » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:00 pm

ColomboHeat wrote:is it unreasonable to expect to find a 2-bedroom house for rent near campus for < $800/mo? (Where do I look?)
From what ive heard from both admissions and my friends living there, definitely NOT. You should be able to find something like that at $400 a person.

I am not positive, but I think the law school owns some houses right around the school that they post.

bleedcubbieblue

Bronze

Post by bleedcubbieblue » Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:32 pm

I grew up in AZ and attended UA for undergrad. Will answer any AZ questions you may have via PM.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”