Rutgers School of Law, Newark Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
passitback

New

Re: Rutgers School of Law, Newark

Post by passitback » Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:00 pm

I will be commuting from Westchester County, New York daily. I believe I can get a lot of reading done on the train, but would like to know what type of housing is available to students who have families? Is there housing available? Any assistance would be appreciated.

Btw: 45 minute ride by car or two hour ride by train (I am leaning toward taking the train)... I know this soiunds crazy, but I want a legal degree, and this is what I am going to have to do.

PhantaManta

Bronze

Post by PhantaManta » Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:26 pm

How do you commute from westchester to newark? Do you have to go to Manhattan first?

passitback

New

Post by passitback » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:39 am

Yup. I'll catch an express train on the Metor North to GCT, take the shuttle/subway, hop on the path to Newark.

Total commute = 2 hours (1 hour reading ;)

phooey182

Bronze

Post by phooey182 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:15 pm

I'd like to take a 12-month lease off-campus but as close as possible. I'm older (37 y/o)and prefer not to live in a 'dorm'. Any good places to recommend? I plan on trying to get a lease starting in June. I'm an out of stater but plan on transferring fully to a NJ resident.

donewithannarbor

New

Post by donewithannarbor » Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:43 pm

1180 Raymond-- too pricey for an average student, but you're older and have worked, so I'm throwing it out there.
Clinton Street Lofts (the union building)-- by Broad and Clinton, toward Penn Station. I'm looking at this for next year. High quality rehab, competitive rent.
The Ironbound-- except it's a 15-20 minute walk.
blocks adjacent to the law school (I'm considering these for next year, the problem is that there are more parking lots than quality building surrounding the law school)...anyways, I have friends that are living or know about places on New St., Warren St., Halsey St., and Central Ave. The rent and quality will vary, but all these locations are in close and safe walking distance. The campus and adjacent areas are good, IMO, with the only downside being the grocery situation. If you have a vehicle, you have no concerns, if not, you will use transit or require a 15-20 walk to Harrison or the Ironbound. Oh if only Mayor Booker could get Whole Foods to build on a downtown Newark parking lot.

Don't rule out living in the dorms. U Sq. is more like apartments. There are some people pushing 30 and over in here, and you'll be on a floor above all the undergrads. Not that mixing with them would be bad, but if you're worried about awkwardness, you won't see them much. You can't beat the location of U-Square.

Somebody asked about U-Square v. Talbott. USq. is worlds better. Talbott has some insect and mice problems. It's an older mid-century building. They have some nice large rooms and common areas, but with the possibility of insects and the fact that you can only do 8-mo leases there, go with U-Sq.

As for "sublets," you can't formally do it at U Sq. Student ID is required to get in, so you can't exactly sell it off on the street. Many/most will live here in the summer. Considering all the firms and judges in Newark, and the transit links to NY and the rest of the state, it makes sense to stay here.

And, oh yeah, check out the law schools [finally!] update website: http://www.law.newark.rutgers.edu/

Passitback, why make it so difficult on yourself? Move to Jersey. It will cut tuition by 10k...there is no waiting period to receive that benefit, you'll get it as a 1L. Even if you have a scholarship, I'd say move just to keep your sanity. Plus, you will be handicapped against your classmates if you have a long commute. Time is money, and many people will live across the street from the law school and have no wasted time. Definitely do not drive. If you're able to read well on a train (I cannot), then do that. Better yet, move to Essex County!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rodbel24

New

Post by rodbel24 » Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:26 pm

Hey downwithannarbor,

what do you think of my situation...... I live about a 15 minute drive away from the campus but I'm unsure of whether I'd like to take my chances of driving everyday to school and possibly running in to traffic.

But on a normal day it is max of 20 minutes to get there and If I were to stay at U.Sq. I would feel like I am wasting 10K since I do live so close...... Is there that much of a benefit to live there amongst other 1L's? Is it worth 10K???

passitback

New

Post by passitback » Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:22 am

donewithannarbor wrote:1180 Raymond-- too pricey for an average student, but you're older and have worked, so I'm throwing it out there.
Clinton Street Lofts (the union building)-- by Broad and Clinton, toward Penn Station. I'm looking at this for next year. High quality rehab, competitive rent.
blocks adjacent to the law school (I'm considering these for next year, the problem is that there are more parking lots than quality building surrounding the law school)...anyways, I have friends that are living or know about places on New St., Warren St., Halsey St., and Central Ave. The rent and quality will vary, but all these locations are in close and safe walking distance. The campus and adjacent areas are good, IMO, with the only downside being the grocery situation. If you have a vehicle, you have no concerns, if not, you will use transit or require a 15-20 walk to Harrison or the Ironbound. Oh if only Mayor Booker could get Whole Foods to build on a downtown Newark parking lot.

Don't rule out living in the dorms. U Sq. is more like apartments. There are some people pushing 30 and over in here, and you'll be on a floor above all the undergrads. Not that mixing with them would be bad, but if you're worried about awkwardness, you won't see them much. You can't beat the location of U-Square.

Somebody asked about U-Square v. Talbott. USq. is worlds better. Talbott has some insect and mice problems. It's an older mid-century building. They have some nice large rooms and common areas, but with the possibility of insects and the fact that you can only do 8-mo leases there, go with U-Sq.

As for "sublets," you can't formally do it at U Sq. Student ID is required to get in, so you can't exactly sell it off on the street. Many/most will live here in the summer. Considering all the firms and judges in Newark, and the transit links to NY and the rest of the state, it makes sense to stay here.

And, oh yeah, check out the law schools [finally!] update website: http://www.law.newark.rutgers.edu/

Passitback, why make it so difficult on yourself? Move to Jersey. It will cut tuition by 10k...there is no waiting period to receive that benefit, you'll get it as a 1L. Even if you have a scholarship, I'd say move just to keep your sanity. Plus, you will be handicapped against your classmates if you have a long commute. Time is money, and many people will live across the street from the law school and have no wasted time. Definitely do not drive. If you're able to read well on a train (I cannot), then do that. Better yet, move to Essex County!

I wish I could live closer to campus. Unfortunately, however, my daughter is going to be in fifth grade next year. There is a great chance my family will assist me with her tuition at a local parochial school. In addition, my wife will be the primary bread winner, and she works five minutes from our house. Moreover, my son's (three years old) babysitter lives next to us. Couple these circumstances with my wife receiving a raise and promotion soon (in this market!!!), and it will become uber-tough for me to convince her that a move from Westchester to Newark makes sense. If I were a single man, I'd be living in JC/Hoboken/Newark with you guys.

No worries though. PIB is a socialite, and extremely dedicated to the books. Therefore, study groups and pitchers of brew will be the norm....

Edited to say I get great reading done on the train. I was an English teacher, and as an undergraduate, I commuted to NYU from Westchester. I averaged upwards of ten hours reading per week going to and from school. If I was unable to benefit from the dreadful experience of commuting, I'd agree 100%. After all, who wouldn't want to walk across the street to get to class? That sounds too good to be true. Well, I have commuted to school my entire life. Although Rutgers is further away, and I may struggle getting to school sometimes, this is my reality. I look forward to meeting some of you at ASD.
Last edited by passitback on Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

passitback

New

Post by passitback » Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:24 am

rodbel24 wrote:Hey downwithannarbor,

what do you think of my situation...... I live about a 15 minute drive away from the campus but I'm unsure of whether I'd like to take my chances of driving everyday to school and possibly running in to traffic.

But on a normal day it is max of 20 minutes to get there and If I were to stay at U.Sq. I would feel like I am wasting 10K since I do live so close...... Is there that much of a benefit to live there amongst other 1L's? Is it worth 10K???

My man, save the 30K you would have spent on housing, and use it to pay off half of your schools loans. You can leave owing around 30k. That's pretty damn solid.

phooey182

Bronze

Post by phooey182 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:16 pm

donewithannarbor wrote:1180 Raymond-- too pricey for an average student, but you're older and have worked, so I'm throwing it out there.

awesome information, thank you.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

donewithannarbor

New

Post by donewithannarbor » Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:56 pm

No problem, glad to help.

Passitback, I should have figured that you had a complicated situation like that. Rest assured, you won't be alone. In my class there are perhaps a dozen people that I know of with established families, many of whom come from long distances.

Seems like you have the right idea on what a time commitment and even social commitment going to law school can be, so you'll be fine.

rodbel24: are you by a train station? If you have the predictability of transit, and are free from having to worry about parking, then living off-campus should be no big deal. Plus then you can stay afterwards and drink with your classmates. But seriously, the university purposely offers less parking than it should, to induce people not to drive. My friends who drive are routinely late because they have to wait in traffic, or have to park at a satellite lot. Or they change their schedule so that they come an hour-plus before school to make sure they have a spot. I would hate that. Conversely, living on campus means you have no extra stress. As a 1L, you want minimum stress and maximum time to work with. But, a transit commute would work fine I think. Especially if it's 15 minutes or so. People frequently come from JCity or Montclair via transit. I'm considering doing that next year, but would actually value being within walking distance of school more.

rodbel24

New

Post by rodbel24 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:23 am

Thanks passitback and downwithannarbor.....

Yea passitback, I'd def. like to save that 30k, which i don't have anyways.....

As for public transportation, I'd have to take the light rail to JC or Hoboken and then take the path to Newark.... its more than 15 minutes (45-60) because of the transfer but I'll be trying out both public trans and driving during the MSP and hopefully one of them is much better than the other.....

I was just concerned with the level of disadvantages that commuters have and didnt want that to play a big role in the first year.....

jpasqu1

New

Post by jpasqu1 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:33 am

rodbel24 wrote:Thanks passitback and downwithannarbor.....

Yea passitback, I'd def. like to save that 30k, which i don't have anyways.....

As for public transportation, I'd have to take the light rail to JC or Hoboken and then take the path to Newark.... its more than 15 minutes (45-60) because of the transfer but I'll be trying out both public trans and driving during the MSP and hopefully one of them is much better than the other.....

I was just concerned with the level of disadvantages that commuters have and didnt want that to play a big role in the first year.....
I live about 30 minutes away from campus w/o any traffic. If I end up at Rutgers, which seems likely at this point, I'm leaning towards living in U Square 1L and probably commuting 2L and 3L. It is about an hour by train. I think it is worth the extra $10K to be right there and not have to worry about commuting that first year.

passitback

New

Post by passitback » Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:33 am

Here's an update folks. I had a conversation with my better half this morning. She does not mind if I move to NJ to study -it's only a 45 minute ride by car- because I can "come home" whenever I want. Fortunately, my mother is willing to take my wife and children in. Luckily, they along. With that being said, I may actually "decrease" my living expenses by living in a dorm and becoming a NJ resident. However, I intend to sort the x's and o's out with my accountant. Assuming it does not have an adverse affect on my filing status, I am good to go.

My question now becomes whether I should commute from Hoboken/JC, or live in University Square? I've been independent since I was eighteen, so living with someone other than my wife and children may seem awkward AT FIRST, probably fun as hell afterwards though.

What would you do if your significant other was fine with these arrangements?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

capitalacq

Silver

Post by capitalacq » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:00 pm

Last edited by capitalacq on Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Zeph

Bronze

Post by Zeph » Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:24 am

donewithannarbor wrote: Passitback, why make it so difficult on yourself? Move to Jersey. It will cut tuition by 10k...there is no waiting period to receive that benefit, you'll get it as a 1L. Even if you have a scholarship, I'd say move just to keep your sanity. Plus, you will be handicapped against your classmates if you have a long commute. Time is money, and many people will live across the street from the law school and have no wasted time. Definitely do not drive. If you're able to read well on a train (I cannot), then do that. Better yet, move to Essex County!

Where do you find this information about becoming a resident and such? I looked all over the web site and couldn't find anything.

I asked this in another thread but how exactly does this work? I sign up for a dorm and get instate tuition automatically?

some proof to show would be saweet ;)

jpasqu1

New

Post by jpasqu1 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:39 am

Zeph wrote:
donewithannarbor wrote: Passitback, why make it so difficult on yourself? Move to Jersey. It will cut tuition by 10k...there is no waiting period to receive that benefit, you'll get it as a 1L. Even if you have a scholarship, I'd say move just to keep your sanity. Plus, you will be handicapped against your classmates if you have a long commute. Time is money, and many people will live across the street from the law school and have no wasted time. Definitely do not drive. If you're able to read well on a train (I cannot), then do that. Better yet, move to Essex County!

Where do you find this information about becoming a resident and such? I looked all over the web site and couldn't find anything.

I asked this in another thread but how exactly does this work? I sign up for a dorm and get instate tuition automatically?

Email this person. The admissions people spoke extensively of this back in January at the ASD. If you are going on Friday I'm sure they'll talk about it again.

awalton@kinoy.rutgers.edu

phooey182

Bronze

Post by phooey182 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:48 pm

jpasqu1 wrote:
Zeph wrote:

Email this person. The admissions people spoke extensively of this back in January at the ASD. If you are going on Friday I'm sure they'll talk about it again.

awalton@kinoy.rutgers.edu
Anita Walton just send out an e-mail asking people to e-mail her to discuss getting in-state status if you plan on moving. I'll probably bring it up on Friday with her.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

donewithannarbor

New

Post by donewithannarbor » Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:46 pm

I'd show you my term bill if I could.

Anyway, I'm sure Dean Walton told you all about it. Why they don't put this stuff on the website I have no clue...perhaps it wouldn't be kosher with New Brunswick. But, out-of-state tuition is basically only for people that actually commute from NY or PA. So basically no one pays it.

For those of you that visited Friday, what did you think?

Zeph

Bronze

Post by Zeph » Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:10 am

donewithannarbor wrote: Why they don't put this stuff on the website I have no clue...
truth, their website still seems minimal, but much better than what it was lol

king3780

Bronze

Post by king3780 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:24 am

donewithannarbor wrote:No problem, glad to help.

Passitback, I should have figured that you had a complicated situation like that. Rest assured, you won't be alone. In my class there are perhaps a dozen people that I know of with established families, many of whom come from long distances.

Seems like you have the right idea on what a time commitment and even social commitment going to law school can be, so you'll be fine.

rodbel24: are you by a train station? If you have the predictability of transit, and are free from having to worry about parking, then living off-campus should be no big deal. Plus then you can stay afterwards and drink with your classmates. But seriously, the university purposely offers less parking than it should, to induce people not to drive. My friends who drive are routinely late because they have to wait in traffic, or have to park at a satellite lot. Or they change their schedule so that they come an hour-plus before school to make sure they have a spot. I would hate that. Conversely, living on campus means you have no extra stress. As a 1L, you want minimum stress and maximum time to work with. But, a transit commute would work fine I think. Especially if it's 15 minutes or so. People frequently come from JCity or Montclair via transit. I'm considering doing that next year, but would actually value being within walking distance of school more.
I was in the separate room for evening students during lunch and one of the 2Ls said they have classmates that commute from as far away as Pennsylvania! I live about 2 hours away from Newark, in PA, and my wife and I decided we'd rather uproot our family then have me commute such a crazy distance. Instant in-state tuition helped the process as well.

phooey182

Bronze

Post by phooey182 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:50 am

I checked out the 1180 Raymond apartments. They were VERY nice. There was a bowling alley and lounge for all residents. the gym in the building is for members only (no guests allowed) and is $500 per year. Personal trainer is extra. The building has a deal with a local parking garage, so parking is still $250 per month. Rent is between $1600-1900 for a 1 bedroom. It looks like a 10 minute walk to Rutgers campus (maybe longer in the cold winter). Cable-ready. Gas included, electricity extra. Nice kitchens and bathrooms, doorman, social gatherings. It is probably too expensive for a 1L right our of college. But if you are older (like me, I'm 37), it looks like a clean, safe building to live in. There are also a few students from Rutgers law, and several from Seton Hall Law. The building is between the two campuses. they also have a shuttle at night that will take you to/from the train station or to/from campus. You just call and they come get you. Nights and weekends only.

I'm going back to Newark in late May to shop for more apartments. I prefer to live close to campus.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

passitback

New

Post by passitback » Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:18 pm

king3780 wrote:
donewithannarbor wrote:No problem, glad to help.

I was in the separate room for evening students during lunch and one of the 2Ls said they have classmates that commute from as far away as Pennsylvania! I live about 2 hours away from Newark, in PA, and my wife and I decided we'd rather uproot our family then have me commute such a crazy distance. Instant in-state tuition helped the process as well.
I will be dorming in university next year. My wife and I will file separate income tax returns. It will cost me less to live on campus, than to commute as an OOS resident. My wife will live in NY with the kids.I can come see them on the weekend, or weekday if I need to. It's only a two hour train...

gezwho

New

Post by gezwho » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:25 pm

Hey all,
Does anyone know how the criminal law courses are at rutgers newark? I plan on going into crim after I graduate...

king3780

Bronze

Post by king3780 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:37 pm

gezwho wrote:Hey all,
Does anyone know how the criminal law courses are at rutgers newark? I plan on going into crim after I graduate...
why are you reviving year-old threads? I think crim law is crim law, regardless of school. Slight exceptions are professors who focus on policy, etc.

gezwho

New

Post by gezwho » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:11 pm

Hey, so does anyone know how competitive placement in clinics are? Does every student have a legitimate chance to enroll in the clinic of their choice, or is there cutthroat competition for some?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”