Rutgers School of Law, Newark Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
donewithannarbor

New

Re: Rutgers School of Law, Newark

Post by donewithannarbor » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:09 pm

http://andromeda.rutgers.edu/~reslife/graduate.html

I believe it's actually law students only on floors 12 and 13 of University Square, a new building on University Ave. a block and a half from the law school. I believe you need to sign a 12-mo lease to live here. As of right now, that costs roughly 10,600. You get your own room, and share a living room, kitchen, and bathroom with three other people who have their own rooms as part of the 4-person suite. Apparently the views are nice up there. Those top floors are, apparently, 24-hr quiet zones. I think living with four other people, and knowing some of the other law students who live on the floor, will enable you to make really easy connections for possibly moving off-campus for your second year.

If you want only school year housing, next door is Talbott Hall; they have grad/law student floors there, and it was 8k-ish last year.

There are some random rowhouses and other apartments near campus. Right downtown (3-4 blocks from Rutgers) there are some new apartments in some of the old high-rises. Seton Hall talks these up for its students. Very expensive though: like 1500 and up.

Nobody really should want to commute when they're a 1L, so I would take advantage of the on-campus housing, or look around downtown Newark. Apparently a lot of the upperclassmen move off-campus in Newark, Hoboken, or Jersey City. The PATH trains give a direct link to Newark from Jersey City, and a one-transfer link from Hoboken. Then there is also the Broad Street station with other trains stopping there. It's 4 blocks north of the law school.

donewithannarbor

New

Post by donewithannarbor » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:18 pm

Check that...most of floors 12-13 are three bedroom suites around a kitchen, small common area, and bathroom. http://andromeda.rutgers.edu/~reslife/university5.html

I got it confused with the undergrad floors that have four people, but in two bedrooms surrounding a living room.

mberg42

New

Post by mberg42 » Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:22 pm

It just went to visit Rutgers Newark this weekend. I saw a graduate room in University Square. It seems like 3 singles around a small hallway with a sink and mirror. It was actually a weird setup but it could have only been the one room they showed. It was the first door on the floor. It doesn't look like the one on the website.

I liked that it was a very diverse campus. Thats a plus in my book. I saw a few other law students and they were all working their butts off in the law library. Also the campus seemed relatively safe, coming from a suburb I have no problem living on campus for my 1L year.

AshtonB

New

Post by AshtonB » Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:51 pm

Can anybody tell me how R-N notifies students that they've been accepted? I read that the Camden campus informs people via email; does the same hold true for the Newark campus? Checking my inbox has become a nail-biting experience as of late :shock:

mberg42

New

Post by mberg42 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:17 pm

Rutgers Newark is by email..then a packet in the mail.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

tellmebaby2

New

Post by tellmebaby2 » Thu May 08, 2008 8:08 pm

Newark, NJ... scary.

addendum boy

New

Post by addendum boy » Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:36 pm

Born and raised in Newark. Still reside here. Completed both my undergrad and Masters degree at Rutgers Newark. Taking the LSAT in Oct and will most likely be applying there for the 08-09 cycle.

If anyone has any questions about Newark or its' surroundings, general or specific, feel free to ask.

r973

New

Post by r973 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:00 pm

For those of you attending, I was hoping you can give me some info on what made you choose Rutgers Newark since I am debating whether or not to attend. Was it your first choice? Was it simply the in-state lower tuition? Was it your career interests? If so, what do you think Rutgers Newark provides career-wise?

Additionallly, since I did not have a chance to attend an admitted students day, if anyone here did, I would greatly appreciate to hear your impressions of the faculty, student body, etc. I have seen the outside of the campus many times, but have never been inside. I have no problem with the city of Newark. Mainly, I am curious on what your impressions were on the quality of teaching/professors/administration/career services.

Thanks!

donewithannarbor

New

Post by donewithannarbor » Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:55 pm

I visited all of the schools that accepted me, and decided after this process that R-N was best. It was my second choice (tied-- before my visit-- with Seton Hall) after Fordham, who deferred me in March.

In terms of facilities, I'd say it was a tie between SH and RN: both were exceptional. In terms of the people I met while there and how they treated one of their accepted students, Rutgers got the edge. I was in one of their first small group sessions in February, and though there were only three prospective students there getting a tour and meeting the faculty (and Asst. Dean Anita Walton), all of the faculty and staff that were supposed to be there were there, and they got us plenty of information. Certainly this decision has to go beyond being them being cordial; I also decided RN was a better law school in terms of its faculty and opportunities for me (better than Seton, St. John's, Hofstra, and New York Law, which I visited). None of the others are bad whatsoever, but Rutgers seemed to combine rigor and high expectations with realism and practicality very well. In other words, the environment felt good. It seemed you could keep your sanity there. One of the ConLaw profs who has also been a dean described his view of what your first year of law is all about -- something very broad-based which you should be open-minded about and not looking to specialize too quickly-- and this made a lot of sense to me. I found out that RN is strong on real estate and environmental law, which I may want to specialize in, so this also interested me. The clinics there are strong, and usually do real legal work.

The small sections are also a rarity these days, and really the 1L class admitted each year is pretty small. For the most part, this is a good thing.

I also think, through a lot of research on summer job placement and private sector salaries, that Rutgers is looked upon well by the establishment, and is a bigger name than Seton, in spite of Seton's recently higher ranking. Rutgers has been ranked in the top 50 at times in its past and goes back a long way. It has a big state school name behind it-- its best grads seem to get great jobs.

Rutgers being on a campus also appealed to me. They had good housing a block away that you can get a year-long contract for at about market rate (under 900/month). It was diverse and felt like the college campus that it is. There are a lot of restaurants and a few bars on adjacent blocks, as well as other colleges. Seton was closer to Penn Station, but in a more isolated-feeling part of downtown-- and without affordable housing (they hook you up with a cool place but it's over 1200/month).

And then Rutgers offered state tuition, which beat Seton with a scholarship.

Good luck with your decision.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

roleary

New

Post by roleary » Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:11 pm

wow the rutgers newark thread sure gets alot more action than the rutgers camden thread, hmmmm... maybe I'll transfer so I can join in your guys discussions.

JackBauer

New

Post by JackBauer » Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:21 am

Newark seems to be a good place for the smuggle in goods according to that Sopranos show

2PennyTravel.com

New

Post by 2PennyTravel.com » Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:52 pm

nellie06 wrote:Hi, I was accepted and was just offered a good deal of cash. I hope someone could post their opinion of the school. I'm thinking of doing int'l law. I heard Newark isn't such a great place... any comments...?

When you think of 'international' you think of big cities with bustling ports, big businesses, and rapidly expanding infrastructure...does newark strike you as a place where 'international' law would really be a good idea? Honestly any law firm outside the top 14 with an 'international' law program is bsing it's students. International law means internationally known law schools, which really means harvard, yale, stanford, and g'town, in that order. The other top 14's are 1b to the aforementioned schools 1a. Rutgers newark is nowhere near that list. Not trying to be mean, just trying to alert you to the ridiculousness of the claims of some law schools to suck money out of students.
i love people like you. You think if you don't go to Harvard, Yale, Stanford or Georgetown you CANNOT do international law - no exceptions. Nobody from any other school in the country is able to do international law EVER according to you? You're just another TLSer who wants to make everyone belief that if they don't attend one of the latter schools than it isn't worth even going to law school. Get off the forums and go pleasure yourself to Harvard's Prospective Student brochure.

EDIT: learn to use the 'quote' feature

donewithannarbor

New

Post by donewithannarbor » Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:19 am

To any prospective members of the RLS class of '12: feel free to post questions about the school here. I'll check occasionally (and I'm sure some others will too) to get you information and opinions.

To answer a few predictable questions off the bat, though...
1) yes, you get in-state tuition for your first year (even if you're coming directly from another state) if you rent a place in Jersey or live in the dorms. That means that even if Seton Hall gives you a 10k scholarship, RLS is still $9k cheaper/year.
2) Newark is not that scary, actually, it's kind of cool. Most of my classmates live on or near campus and hang out around town all the time. Plus, you can get anywhere in NJ or NY from here (rail/subway stations are 2, 5, and 10 minutes away from campus, respectively).
3) The student body is great. The upperclassmen are helpful and I couldn't imagine a school as a whole being more social (and ready to drink) than this.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

maxima099

New

Post by maxima099 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:10 pm

1. Does RLS employ the Socratic method?

2. How competitive/cut-throat are the students?

3. What is the best way for a Rutgers students to find placement in a student journal?

4. " " in a student clinic?

Thanks,

Giles Rich

New

Post by Giles Rich » Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:28 pm

I don't go there (yet), but the first two questions were addressed at their Open House.
maxima099 wrote:1. Does RLS employ the Socratic method?
Yes. I think pretty much all Law Schools do, although not necessarily in every class.
maxima099 wrote: 2. How competitive/cut-throat are the students?
I think Rutgers-N is less competitive/cut-throat school than most schools. Part of the reason is they don't rank the students, which makes the atmosphere a lot more laid back. Also, the B (3.0) curve helps relieve some of the pressure, since high grades are slightly easier to come by. Of course there is competition in classes and for jobs, but it seems like it's on the low end as far as law schools go.

From what I've seen, it seems like a really great school.

bayberrymoon

New

Post by bayberrymoon » Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:56 pm

I have a question about the Minority Student Program. If you check the box expressing interest in the program, do you automatically get in if you are a minority? In their brochure, they talk about 1) minorities and 2) educationally, culturally, or socioeconomically disadvantaged students. Does anyone know if admission to the MSP requires that if someone is 1), he/she must also be 2)?

In other words: do I qualify for the MSP if I am a minority, but do not feel that I have been disadvantaged?

prelaw51

New

Post by prelaw51 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:36 pm

I'm currently a college senior and I plan on attending Rutgers-Newark next fall. My family lives in way West NJ (Hackettstown/Roxbury area). Should I live at home and commute the 45 mins-1 hour each way OR live on campus? Any advice would help.

ALSO- Rutgers gave me 8,000 (brings tuition to about 13,000). Seton Hall gave me 20,000 (tuition to about 18,000). Why should I choose Rutgers over Seton Hall or vice versa? (I hope to do private practice of some sort)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bayberrymoon

New

Post by bayberrymoon » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:16 pm

Last edited by bayberrymoon on Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bayberrymoon

New

Post by bayberrymoon » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:19 pm

prelaw51 wrote:I'm currently a college senior and I plan on attending Rutgers-Newark next fall. My family lives in way West NJ (Hackettstown/Roxbury area). Should I live at home and commute the 45 mins-1 hour each way OR live on campus? Any advice would help.

ALSO- Rutgers gave me 8,000 (brings tuition to about 13,000). Seton Hall gave me 20,000 (tuition to about 18,000). Why should I choose Rutgers over Seton Hall or vice versa? (I hope to do private practice of some sort)
I got the same scholarship amounts. From what I hear, Rutgers has a more solid alumni network in both NJ and NY, and better name recognition. Its private practice median starting salary is supposedly 115K. I don't know how exactly this compares to Seton Hall; I do know Seton Hall is great for healthcare law, but I'm not sure what else. I'm planning to do corporate law, so I think Rutgers is a much better fit for me. Add this to the cheaper tuition and Rutgers over Seton Hall seems like an easy decision. That is just my reasoning though - I don't have too much to back it up, and it fits in best with my personal goals but not necessarily yours. (I also visited Rutgers and love the law school building.)

lsb

Bronze

Post by lsb » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:29 pm

donewithannarbor wrote:Hmm...Newark isn't a major port city? You may want to check your facts.

It is also a growing city, with an small inflow of yuppies but a massive inflow of immigrants--again, transnational law at hand.

Newark is incredibly close to NYC with multiple access points through rapid transit at either end. The PATH train from Penn Station becomes a subway in NYC with stops in lower Manhattan up to midtown. The NJ Transit train from Broad St. will also take you to Midtown. Newark is NJ's major city with corporations and courts. If you can get yourself over the stereotypes, you'd see that it provides most of what you need to get a foothold in any type of law that you want.

When I stayed there in person for multiple nights (downtown) visiting law schools, I was pretty happy with it. There are a few hangouts for students, and a good amount of places to get decent food in different prices ranges, and the basics like groceries and coffee. It is a "campusy" area that is not completely devoid of life...and downright busy during the day. The city has become immensely safer in recent years.

So its a very livable place, and most importantly, its close to NYC.

I'm waiting on Fordham, but in the meantime, I'm planning on Rutgers.

If anyone reading this is currently deciding between Rutgers and other places, know that once you sign a 12-mo lease Rutgers will give you in-state tuition even for your first year (you become a NJ resident after 12 months, but they'll enact it sooner). They have on-campus housing 2 blocks from the law school, including a brand new highrise with floors for law students, and you can sign a 12-mo lease in these (8.5k-10.5k/yr...just under market rate).

What are the stereotypes. - From Chicago

donewithannarbor

New

Post by donewithannarbor » Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:06 am

The stereotypes are crime ridden/ghost town at night.

But you are never unsafe on campus. The police presence borders on absurd. You are no more unsafe in downtown Newark than anywhere else during the day, or at night if you are with a friend or in a busy area (e.g. going to an event). The transit systems are all very safe. The Ironbound neighborhood, east of Penn Station, where a lot of law students go to hang out is also very safe: bustling during the day and still busy at night.

The upside on this city is fantastic with the current mayor, and the stereotypes have never been in greater danger of being dispelled.

I will send some of you messages regarding your questions.

Regarding commuting over an hour v. living on campus: definitely live on campus. The parking situation, according to my commuter friends, is terrible.They have to come early even when our classes start late. Transit is good but it seems like you might be out of range for that. I'm on campus and it's four minutes from room to class. The building isn't perfect but the location is great and you'll enjoy living with other law students.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

bayberrymoon

New

Post by bayberrymoon » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:59 pm

donewithannarbor, I was wondering:

Are a lot of 1Ls involved in extracurriculars, or are most just busy trying to make good grades? Also - can one get journal experience their first year? I know the writing competition that determines law review / journal staff for most publications is at the end of first year, but are there other journals (such as the Conflict Resolution Journal?) that are open to first years?

Thanks!

donewithannarbor

New

Post by donewithannarbor » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:13 pm

1Ls are surprisingly involved in extracurriculars, e.g. specialty societies like International Law Society, IP Law Society, Air and Space Law, Federalists, and minority groups. Each group frequently brings guests speakers to class or hosts themed parties at the law school or elsewhere. But the 1Ls are mainly just attending the events or being 1L reps. Which is great...it's good to be social and RU is somewhat built on community (which mirrors the reality of the legal profession). But you don't want to be in more than 2-3 groups actively, or go to every single event, because grades are most important, especially at a school where less than a 'B' is going to make things hard, but getting some As will open doors to big money and opportunity. The grade-focused message was repeated last night when some judges were on campus speaking to us about summer internships.

For all the journals and the review, there is a write-on in May, and I believe it counts to all 6 (or is it 8?) of our accredited journals, which you will then be able to work for as a 2L and 3L. You will not have a clue how to do legal writing until you complete LR&W class as a 1L, anyway.

Some come here ready to do your work, but don't miss out on good events/guests and the many social opportunities. Focus on more formal journal-type groups or clinics as an upperclassman.

purplegal

New

Post by purplegal » Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:55 pm

In terms of housing, does anyone know if it would be better to live in Talbott or University Square? Univ. Square apartments looks nicer, but Talbott is cheaper and I don't see the point of having a 12 month contract. Do most people sublet for the summer?

maxima099

New

Post by maxima099 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:53 pm

purplegal wrote:In terms of housing, does anyone know if it would be better to live in Talbott or University Square? Univ. Square apartments looks nicer, but Talbott is cheaper and I don't see the point of having a 12 month contract. Do most people sublet for the summer?
I'm also in a similiar situation - is sublet even allowed?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”