FSU 1L giving answers Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
procrastinator

Bronze

FSU 1L giving answers

Post by procrastinator » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:52 pm

For free! Fire away.

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Re: FSU 1L giving answers

Post by FeelTheHeat » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:56 pm

Did you have to choose between UF and FSU?

Where do you plan on practicing after graduation?

Sandro

Gold

Post by Sandro » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:09 pm

Where should I go to school next year ?

procrastinator

Bronze

Post by procrastinator » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:10 pm

I was rejected by UF. They were also not very fun on the phone, so I would've chosen FSU anyway. A really nice lady with a southern accent calls you when you get into FSU, and they shower you with t-shirts, coffee mugs, etc. I do not know if UF gives t-shirts, but they do not have a southern-accented lady. Also they seemed kinda pretentious. Who names their law school after someone? Why not just call it the University of Florida College of Law?

Serious answer:
I do not regret one bit my decision to go to FSU (I'm not from Florida and I pretty much just went on how nice the admissions office was, school ranking, scholarship money and regional climate to make my choice). The people are awesome. The Student Bar Association is number one in the nation, and I'm pretty much convinced by bar they mean the common meaning of the word. The professors are also awesome. I went golfing with one last semester. Another had the whole class out to his house for a cigar and drinks party. All of them are very accessible, and FSU is known for having a very scholarly faculty (in fact, they are known as a poach school for the higher ranked schools). I honestly don't know of anything bad to tell you.

I don't know where I plan to practice. That's two years away for me. Having a good job that I love and get paid for is much more important. Although I would like to continue living in the Golf Capitol of the World.

I do regret one thing. I have yet to go to the ocean since I got here.

procrastinator

Bronze

Post by procrastinator » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:11 pm

Sandro wrote:Where should I go to school next year ?
Where do you want to go?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Post by FeelTheHeat » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:17 pm

Thanks the advice. Now the important stuff.

Did you find time to golf? And is it affordable if you don't get money in the way of parents?

procrastinator

Bronze

Post by procrastinator » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:42 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:Thanks the advice. Now the important stuff.

Did you find time to golf? And is it affordable if you don't get money in the way of parents?
Last semester, I golfed 18 every friday and hit the range twice a week. This semester is a hell of a lot busier, and I haven't been out at all. Hopefully tomorrow, though, if I get enough of this brief done.

It's about as affordable and unaffordable as golf gets in a mid-sized city. I play at Southwood, where I have a $30/mo Player Development Program membership. That means free range after 3pm (1pm during STD time and 2pm right now, when its DST but gets dark earlier), and golf costs about $18 (same time constraints). Since I'm in class all day that works out well. You can go a lot cheaper at Seminole Golf Course (Univ. owned), Jack Gaither (9 hole, crappy municipal), or Hilamen (18 hole less crappy municipal).

I haven't gotten money from my parents since I was 18, so yes, it's doable. Then again, I'm decent at managing my money and I get a paycheck from Uncle Sam.

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Post by FeelTheHeat » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:45 pm

That's awesome man, especially given that you've been successful in school while still being able to play.

Sandro, come to Tally. We'll study hard, party harder, and the football team should be beastin it.

Sandro

Gold

Post by Sandro » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:02 pm

procrastinator wrote:
Where do you want to go?
Where I will have the best shot at getting a decent job. Out of IUb, UMN, UGA. FSU, and waiting on Emory/WUSTL, pick one.

And FTH I would be a LOT more into FSU if it wasnt more expensive than every school but UMN.... and I'm not sure I want to stay in FL.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

procrastinator

Bronze

Post by procrastinator » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:16 pm

Sandro wrote:
procrastinator wrote:
Where do you want to go?
Where I will have the best shot at getting a decent job. Out of IUb, UMN, UGA. FSU, and waiting on Emory/WUSTL, pick one.

And FTH I would be a LOT more into FSU if it wasnt more expensive than every school but UMN.... and I'm not sure I want to stay in FL.
The University of Minnesota would've been my first choice. When I applied in 2008 (before finding out I'd be back on active duty), I was a competitive hold. Something drastically changed in those two years, and I even got rejected from Iowa. Apparently GPA became more important. I spent a lot of time in the twins, and it's an awesome place to be. Plus it's a great school.

I'd probably go for UGA. Then FSU. I don't know enough about the other schools to comment.

I'm not really sure why you think FSU is more expensive. It's one of the cheapest in-state tuition schools. But quite honestly, price shouldn't be a factor if you're most concerned with getting a job.

Out of all those schools, UMN is going to give you the most mobility. Top 25% will likely land you a job in any major city.

Sandro

Gold

Post by Sandro » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:56 pm

procrastinator wrote:
Sandro wrote:
procrastinator wrote:
Where do you want to go?

The University of Minnesota would've been my first choice. When I applied in 2008 (before finding out I'd be back on active duty), I was a competitive hold. Something drastically changed in those two years, and I even got rejected from Iowa. Apparently GPA became more important. I spent a lot of time in the twins, and it's an awesome place to be. Plus it's a great school.
Everyone says this ! If you had UGA vs UMN with cost not an issue and being from FL which would you pick ?

procrastinator

Bronze

Post by procrastinator » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:25 pm

UMN hands down. Unless you can't handle the snow.

NCtoDC

Silver

Post by NCtoDC » Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:23 pm

Do you have a paid summer gig lined up? Regardless, what are you doing this summer in terms of work?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

procrastinator

Bronze

Post by procrastinator » Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:16 pm

Not yet. I made all OCI interviews. Haven't heard back yet, but optimistic.

NCtoDC

Silver

Post by NCtoDC » Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:17 pm

procrastinator wrote:Not yet. I made all OCI interviews. Haven't heard back yet, but optimistic.
Awesome, and good luck then!

melyanair

New

Post by melyanair » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:25 am

Hey all - I'm also a 1L at FSU. To answer some of the previous questions - I was accepted to both UF and FSU, and chose FSU for a couple of reasons: more scholarship money, more access to ... well ... everything (being in the state capitol has huge advantages - being able to clerk for the 1st DCA, Supreme Court justices, a myriad of government agenecie, etc., even being taught by some of the justices ... thought that was invaluable), also as noted above, the staff, faculty, even the deans ... just wonderful - everyone truly cares about your success and they do all they can to help us succeed. I didn't find that warmth and sinceirty when going through the application process at UF. The above factors made my decision easy, and I'm SO glad i came here. I LOVE it!

I have a paid intenrship lined up for the summer. It's a big firm in the south-east, and they'll have 3 times as many FSU students clerking this summer than any other Florida school. Everyone else is from the T-14.

As far a school/life balance - I really can't compare it to any other school, but it's really not that bad. I still have time to do the things that matter most to me outside of law school, and I made really good grades first semester. You will have to work really hard, but you can also play hard, and still succeed.

I'll check in every few days to answer more questions - but if you have the opportunity, come! You won't regret it.

Cool Brees

New

Post by Cool Brees » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:36 am

procrastinator wrote: The University of Minnesota would've been my first choice. When I applied in 2008 (before finding out I'd be back on active duty), I was a competitive hold. Something drastically changed in those two years, and I even got rejected from Iowa. Apparently GPA became more important. I spent a lot of time in the twins, and it's an awesome place to be. Plus it's a great school.

I'd probably go for UGA. Then FSU. I don't know enough about the other schools to comment.

I'm not really sure why you think FSU is more expensive. It's one of the cheapest in-state tuition schools. But quite honestly, price shouldn't be a factor if you're most concerned with getting a job.

Out of all those schools, UMN is going to give you the most mobility. Top 25% will likely land you a job in any major city.
Seeing as how your were active duty and said that you get a check from Uncle Sam, are you using the Post 9/11 GiBill? If so, how close does it come to covering the cost of tuition? In the past, I believe Florida's per credit hour limit was higher, but for the 2010-2011 year, it looks like the per credit hour limit is only $295. However, tuition is $544 per credit hour. I have a good amount of benefit left, and I am curious how much I will have to cover out of pocket.

Edit: Florida's was $682 per hour for 2009. Difference of $387 :shock:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

procrastinator

Bronze

Post by procrastinator » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:48 am

Cool Brees wrote:
procrastinator wrote: The University of Minnesota would've been my first choice. When I applied in 2008 (before finding out I'd be back on active duty), I was a competitive hold. Something drastically changed in those two years, and I even got rejected from Iowa. Apparently GPA became more important. I spent a lot of time in the twins, and it's an awesome place to be. Plus it's a great school.

Seeing as how your were active duty and said that you get a check from Uncle Sam, are you using the Post 9/11 GiBill? If so, how close does it come to covering the cost of tuition? In the past, I believe Florida's per credit hour limit was higher, but for the 2010-2011 year, it looks like the per credit hour limit is only $295. However, tuition is $544 per credit hour. I have a good amount of benefit left, and I am curious how much I will have to cover out of pocket.

Edit: Florida's was $682 per hour for 2009. Difference of $387 :shock:
I am out of state and I pay about $2k a semester. In-state, as of next year, will be entirely covered no matter what, from what I read.

minuit

Silver

Post by minuit » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:56 am

melyanair wrote:Hey all - I'm also a 1L at FSU. To answer some of the previous questions - I was accepted to both UF and FSU, and chose FSU for a couple of reasons: more scholarship money, more access to ... well ... everything (being in the state capitol has huge advantages - being able to clerk for the 1st DCA, Supreme Court justices, a myriad of government agenecie, etc., even being taught by some of the justices ... thought that was invaluable), also as noted above, the staff, faculty, even the deans ... just wonderful - everyone truly cares about your success and they do all they can to help us succeed. I didn't find that warmth and sinceirty when going through the application process at UF. The above factors made my decision easy, and I'm SO glad i came here. I LOVE it!

I have a paid intenrship lined up for the summer. It's a big firm in the south-east, and they'll have 3 times as many FSU students clerking this summer than any other Florida school. Everyone else is from the T-14.

As far a school/life balance - I really can't compare it to any other school, but it's really not that bad. I still have time to do the things that matter most to me outside of law school, and I made really good grades first semester. You will have to work really hard, but you can also play hard, and still succeed.

I'll check in every few days to answer more questions - but if you have the opportunity, come! You won't regret it.
Any idea what your class rank % is at the moment? Also, how do you think your study habits compared to that of your peers?

Cool Brees

New

Post by Cool Brees » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:08 pm

procrastinator wrote: I am out of state and I pay about $2k a semester. In-state, as of next year, will be entirely covered no matter what, from what I read.
That is awesome. I was actually doing a little further reading, after posting, and it appears that is the case. The $295 number is for the 2010-2011 school year.

Effective August 1st, 2011:
For Veterans and their transferees - simplifies the tuition and fee rates for those attending a public school and creates a national maximum for those enrolled in a private or foreign school

* Pays all public school in-state tuition and fees;
* Private and foreign school costs are capped at $17,500 annually;
* The Yellow Ribbon Program still exists for out-of-state fees and costs above the cap.
Which is great news. I hope that applies to graduate school, as well. Also:
Allows reimbursement of fees paid to take national exams used for admission to an institution of higher learning (e.g., SAT, ACT, GMAT, LSAT)
Wonder, if I can get some retroactive pay? 8)

http://www.gibill.va.gov/benefits/post_ ... anges.html

@FeelTheHeat

Are you for sure in, yet? I will be there in the fall. If/ when you decide, maybe you could start a Class of 2014 thread. 8)

Cool Brees

New

Post by Cool Brees » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:21 pm

melyanair wrote: I have a paid intenrship lined up for the summer. It's a big firm in the south-east, and they'll have 3 times as many FSU students clerking this summer than any other Florida school. Everyone else is from the T-14.
Awesome, congrats!

For anyone: I am really interested in applying for a fellowship, such as the gubernatorial fellowship. What is the timetable for doing so? Do you know anyone that is pursing/ or participated in a fellowship?
Last edited by Cool Brees on Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

procrastinator

Bronze

Post by procrastinator » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:54 pm

minuit wrote:
melyanair wrote:Hey all - I'm also a 1L at FSU. To answer some of the previous questions - I was accepted to both UF and FSU, and chose FSU for a couple of reasons: more scholarship money, more access to ... well ... everything (being in the state capitol has huge advantages - being able to clerk for the 1st DCA, Supreme Court justices, a myriad of government agenecie, etc., even being taught by some of the justices ... thought that was invaluable), also as noted above, the staff, faculty, even the deans ... just wonderful - everyone truly cares about your success and they do all they can to help us succeed. I didn't find that warmth and sinceirty when going through the application process at UF. The above factors made my decision easy, and I'm SO glad i came here. I LOVE it!

Any idea what your class rank % is at the moment? Also, how do you think your study habits compared to that of your peers?
I know this wasn't addressed to me, but I'd say the number one thing that most advantaged me was the fact that I was disciplined enough to work hard all semester. Do all the readings (and really understand the readings), take good notes in class (rather than play games or mess around on facebook), and keep procrastination at a minimum for the legal writing projects. Lots of students think they can miss classes, skip readings, and they'll catch up at the end. That's just way too much stuff to put and keep in your head in a matter of weeks.

minuit

Silver

Post by minuit » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:59 pm

procrastinator wrote:
minuit wrote:

I know this wasn't addressed to me, but I'd say the number one thing that most advantaged me was the fact that I was disciplined enough to work hard all semester. Do all the readings (and really understand the readings), take good notes in class (rather than play games or mess around on facebook), and keep procrastination at a minimum for the legal writing projects. Lots of students think they can miss classes, skip readings, and they'll catch up at the end. That's just way too much stuff to put and keep in your head in a matter of weeks.
I NEVER miss class, take lots of notes, and I read everything, so at least that shouldn't be an issue! :)

Bill Cosby

Bronze

Post by Bill Cosby » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:36 pm

Don't have any questions at the moment, but will definitely be lurking in this thread.

BigOrange23

New

Post by BigOrange23 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:25 pm

Cool Brees wrote:
melyanair wrote: I have a paid intenrship lined up for the summer. It's a big firm in the south-east, and they'll have 3 times as many FSU students clerking this summer than any other Florida school. Everyone else is from the T-14.
Awesome, congrats!

For anyone: I am really interested in applying for a fellowship, such as the gubernatorial fellowship. What is the timetable for doing so? Do you know anyone that is pursing/ or participated in a fellowship?
Can you apply for any of them being OOS?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”