Howard job prospects? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
deltasigbn

New

Howard job prospects?

Post by deltasigbn » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:06 pm

Question for those who go to Howard or graduated from there?

I've gotten into quite a few schools (mostly tier 2s) and have been offered some money (not full tuition at any other places), but Howard has offered me full tuition for the first year (and if I can maintain a certain class rank the next 2 years I will have tuition for those years as well) so I can't automatically rule it out just because it's a tier 3. I'm a black URM btw.

Reading this site and doing some other research I found out that Big law firm jobs are available to Howard Law graduates and that more firms seem to do on campus interviewing at Howard than quite a few tier 1 schools. What percentage of the class do you think have access to these types of jobs? Can you tell me about the career prospects other than big law? I'll be visiting in a few weeks, but I would really like to hear from either a current student or a former student.

Can you provide me with any info about the school? You can pm me if you want. Thanks.

2011Law

Silver

Re: Howard job prospects?

Post by 2011Law » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:08 pm

Howard has job prospects?
jk, sorta

mez06

Bronze

Post by mez06 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:10 pm

+1.

2011Law

Silver

Post by 2011Law » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:51 pm

If you can get a BigLaw job coming out of any TTT, I'd assume that you'd have to be at least in the top 5% of the class, a chief officer on LR and Moot or Mock Court, and a baller at networking. Not that that'd make it a sure thing, but that'd be a pre-requisite.

edit: in other words, do not plan on getting a BigLaw job coming out of Howard. Seriously.

deltasigbn

New

Post by deltasigbn » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:08 pm

2011Law wrote:If you can get a BigLaw job coming out of any TTT, I'd assume that you'd have to be at least in the top 5% of the class, a chief officer on LR and Moot or Mock Court, and a baller at networking. Not that that'd make it a sure thing, but that'd be a pre-requisite.

edit: in other words, do not plan on getting a BigLaw job coming out of Howard. Seriously.
Howard seems to be different from the typical TTT, when it comes to black URM's and getting hired from the research I've done.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Malcolm8X

Bronze

Post by Malcolm8X » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:13 pm

deltasigbn wrote:
2011Law wrote:If you can get a BigLaw job coming out of any TTT, I'd assume that you'd have to be at least in the top 5% of the class, a chief officer on LR and Moot or Mock Court, and a baller at networking. Not that that'd make it a sure thing, but that'd be a pre-requisite.

Howard seems to be different from the typical TTT, when it comes to black URM's and getting hired from the research I've done.
They definitely are a special flower. They get a lot of big law firms recruiting there, this is no secret.

kk19131

Silver

Post by kk19131 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:58 pm

Howard places about 15% of its grads in Biglaw. All things considered, this isn't that bad.

However, it's rather funny to me that people seem to assume that since Howard is a Black school it will be substantially easier for people to make top 10/15%. The fact is, many of the students who are top at Howard probably turned down T-25s to be there.

As far as the 20+ thousand scholarships go, they all require you to be in the top 15% of the class or section. This works out to something like 24 people out of the whole class. And, if God forbid, they stack all the scholarship people into one section, you're pretty much doomed to lose your scholarship... or stress trying to maintain it.

0L_Jedi

New

Post by 0L_Jedi » Wed May 18, 2011 4:39 pm

I've met a number of Howard Grads and all of them are balling (in terms of jobs and recruitment). I'm a black "URM" as well and I'm actually considering Howard because they gave me lotsa money. Why the hell not? If they offered you a full ride, take it! Whenever I network with people at events and tell them where I might attend school, they always go "whoa" when I mention Howard. I went to one event and got 10 business cards just cuz I was talking about Howard. And no, they weren't all from black attorneys.

Also, don't listen to these Trolls on this forum. Never feel ashamed about Howard. It's a phenomenal institution and all the alum that I know are balling, making it rain, running ish, on tv, in politics, stomping on all the haters with their success, etc.

My two cents: Go for it! And again, don't listen to these haters on this forum. It's your life, it's your scholarship and it's your chance to attend one of the best institutions in the country. Yea I said it, one of the best in the country!

Curry

Post by Curry » Wed May 18, 2011 4:43 pm

0L_Jedi wrote:I've met a number of Howard Grads and all of them are balling (in terms of jobs and recruitment). I'm a black "URM" as well and I'm actually considering Howard because they gave me lotsa money. Why the hell not? If they offered you a full ride, take it! Whenever I network with people at events and tell them where I might attend school, they always go "whoa" when I mention Howard. I went to one event and got 10 business cards just cuz I was talking about Howard. And no, they weren't all from black attorneys.

Also, don't listen to these Trolls on this forum. Never feel ashamed about Howard. It's a phenomenal institution and all the alum that I know are balling, making it rain, running ish, on tv, in politics, stomping on all the haters with their success, etc.

My two cents: Go for it! And again, don't listen to these haters on this forum. It's your life, it's your scholarship and it's your chance to attend one of the best institutions in the country. Yea I said it, one of the best in the country!
This is a horrible troll.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

0L_Jedi

New

Post by 0L_Jedi » Wed May 18, 2011 5:50 pm

Curry wrote:
0L_Jedi wrote:I've met a number of Howard Grads and all of them are balling (in terms of jobs and recruitment). I'm a black "URM" as well and I'm actually considering Howard because they gave me lotsa money. Why the hell not? If they offered you a full ride, take it! Whenever I network with people at events and tell them where I might attend school, they always go "whoa" when I mention Howard. I went to one event and got 10 business cards just cuz I was talking about Howard. And no, they weren't all from black attorneys.

and you are a certified hater

BruceWayne

Gold

Post by BruceWayne » Wed May 18, 2011 6:00 pm

Curry wrote:

This is a horrible attempt at hiding anti URM sentiments. Howard is well respected and if you do manage to pull off top grades, many top law firms will hire you.

Curry

Post by Curry » Wed May 18, 2011 6:04 pm

BruceWayne wrote:
Curry wrote:

This is a horrible attempt at hiding anti URM sentiments. Howard is well respected and if you do manage to pull off top grades, many top law firms will hire you.
Are you accusing me of being anti-URM? lawl. Howard is a good school. Some Howard grads get into top law firms. But
I've met a number of Howard Grads and all of them are balling (in terms of jobs and recruitment).
t's a phenomenal institution and all the alum that I know are balling, making it rain, running ish, on tv, in politics, stomping on all the haters with their success, etc.
I went to one event and got 10 business cards just cuz I was talking about Howard. And no, they weren't all from black attorneys.
And again, don't listen to these haters on this forum.
attend one of the best institutions in the country. Yea I said it, one of the best in the country!

Curry

Post by Curry » Wed May 18, 2011 6:14 pm

Also:
0L_Jedi wrote:The schools I applied to absolutely loved my 2,500 page autobiography! I'm going to Vanderbilt anyways. They responded to my admissions request in a timely fashion.

Go run and tell dat to USC, flexityflex86! ;)
0L_Jedi wrote: One can hope and one can keep their fingers crossed. I did attend SC for undergrad so that might affect my candidacy (in terms of diversity). But hey, you never know. We might be classmates next fall if you decide to attend and if USC realized royalty when they received my application 4.5 months ago.......@&*!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

0L_Jedi

New

Post by 0L_Jedi » Wed May 18, 2011 6:25 pm

Curry wrote:Also:
0L_Jedi wrote:The schools I applied to absolutely loved my 2,500 page autobiography! I'm going to Vanderbilt anyways. They responded to my admissions request in a timely fashion.

0L_Jedi wrote: One can hope and one can keep their fingers crossed. I did attend SC for undergrad so that might affect my candidacy (in terms of diversity). But hey, you never know. We might be classmates next fall if you decide to attend and if USC realized royalty when they received my application 4.5 months ago.......@&*!

Awwww, that's really cute! You've looked up my previous posts on this site. Are you a stalker? It's borderline creepy. And I've been accepted at Howard and Vanderbilt. And since you care so much about my life (since you've obviously been stalking my profile, creeping, etc), I'll give you the 4-1-1. I am still considering Howard even though I put in my seat deposit at Vandy. Howard or Vandy? Washington, DC or Nashville? A full ride or partial scholarship? Decisions decisions.....................

And let me please add on to my previous statement regarding you. You are a certified hater AND a troll. Smooches :)
Last edited by 0L_Jedi on Wed May 18, 2011 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Wed May 18, 2011 6:26 pm

BruceWayne wrote:This is a horrible attempt at hiding anti URM sentiments. Howard is well respected and if you do manage to pull off top grades, many top law firms will hire you.
LOLOLOLOL. I won't presume to know anything about URM prospects or Howard, but I do know curry quite well and regarding the bolded...LOLOLOL.

(BruceWayne outed as 0L_Jedi alt?)

Curry

Post by Curry » Wed May 18, 2011 6:33 pm

0L_Jedi wrote:

Awwww, that's really cute! You're looked up my previous posts on this site. Are you a stalker? It's borderline creepy. And I've been accepted at Howard and Vanderbilt. And since you care so much about my life (since you've obviously been stalking my profile, creeping, etc), I'll give you the 4-1-1. I am still considering Howard even though I put in my seat deposit at Vandy. Howard or Vandy? Washington, DC or Nashville? A full ride or partial scholarship? Decisions decisions.....................

And let me please add on to my previous statement regarding you. You are a certified hater AND a troll. Smooches :)
LOL

DMBFan

New

Post by DMBFan » Wed May 18, 2011 6:38 pm

0L_Jedi wrote:

Awwww, that's really cute! You've looked up my previous posts on this site. Are you a stalker? It's borderline creepy. And I've been accepted at Howard and Vanderbilt. And since you care so much about my life (since you've obviously been stalking my profile, creeping, etc), I'll give you the 4-1-1. I am still considering Howard even though I put in my seat deposit at Vandy. Howard or Vandy? Washington, DC or Nashville? A full ride or partial scholarship? Decisions decisions.....................

You are doing a diservice to anyone who actually takes your post seriously.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

BruceWayne

Gold

Post by BruceWayne » Wed May 18, 2011 6:43 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:This is a horrible attempt at hiding anti URM sentiments. Howard is well respected and if you do manage to pull off top grades, many top law firms will hire you.
LOLOLOLOL. I won't presume to know anything about URM prospects or Howard, but I do know curry quite well and regarding the bolded...LOLOLOL.

Crumpetsandtea outed as an idiot? Hmm not sure why I'm using a question mark...

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Wed May 18, 2011 6:44 pm

2012 USNews rankings:

1. UVA
2. Howard
3. Yale

0L_Jedi

New

Post by 0L_Jedi » Wed May 18, 2011 6:45 pm

BruceWayne wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:

LOL

Curry

Post by Curry » Wed May 18, 2011 6:45 pm

BruceWayne wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:

You are a dick. If you can't recognize the idiocy of 0L_Jedi's posts, given how long you've been around here, there's something seriously wrong with you. Moreover, to assert out of nowhere that my sentiments were anti-URM without any inquiry as to the possible alternatives for why I made that post is offensive and uncalled for. Go fuck yourself.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

0L_Jedi

New

Post by 0L_Jedi » Wed May 18, 2011 6:48 pm

ANYWAY, can we please get back on topic! I would sincerely like to hear someone else's two cents about employment prospects for Howard Law grads! Let's stop trying to twist people's words up/dissing others on this site (we have plenty of time for belittling others in law school) Thanks

Curry

Post by Curry » Wed May 18, 2011 6:49 pm

0L_Jedi wrote:ANYWAY, can we please get back on topic! I would sincerely like to hear someone else's two cents about employment prospects for Howard Law grads! Let's stop trying to twist people's words up/dissing others on this site (we have plenty of time for belittling others in law school) Thanks
You mean your opinion on Howard Law isn't the only valid one and everyone who disagrees isn't a hater or a troll? why are you listening to the "hates on this board" anyways?

0L_Jedi

New

Post by 0L_Jedi » Wed May 18, 2011 6:52 pm

Curry wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:

You are a dick. If you can't recognize the idiocy of 0L_Jedi's posts, given how long you've been around here, there's something seriously wrong with you. Moreover, to assert out of nowhere that my sentiments were anti-URM without any inquiry as to the possible alternatives for why I made that post is offensive and uncalled for. Go fuck yourself.

Hey now, "Curry" what's the tee?! foul language is no bueno. And, btw, idiocy of my posts? Ummm, that's cute. Excuse me for keeping it real, being myself and forgive me for not writing a formal pompous reply to your annoying posts. You were probably that obnoxious kid that nobody liked to hang out with in high school, and that reeaaaaaally annoying kid that people wanted to throw beers at in college.

0L_Jedi

New

Post by 0L_Jedi » Wed May 18, 2011 6:54 pm

Curry wrote:
0L_Jedi wrote:ANYWAY, can we please get back on topic! I would sincerely like to hear someone else's two cents about employment prospects for Howard Law grads! Let's stop trying to twist people's words up/dissing others on this site (we have plenty of time for belittling others in law school) Thanks
You mean your opinion on Howard Law isn't the only valid one and everyone who disagrees isn't a hater or a troll? why are you listening to the "hates on this board" anyways?
Um no, I might be attending Howard and you called me a horrible troll. You hurt my wittle feelings. And everyone is entitled to an opinion and I'd like to hear theirs and not you breathing down my neck/checking every comment I make.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”