Pace Law School? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
nylawyer488

New

Pace Law School?

Post by nylawyer488 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:19 am

What does anyone know about Pace Law School?

Professors, campus, surrounding area, job prospects?

I was offered a significant academic scholarship here (20K/year) and I've generally heard good things about the school.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks!

Fred_McGriff

Bronze

Re: Pace Law School?

Post by Fred_McGriff » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:18 pm

You'll be competing with the entire T14, the top of the T30, the very top of T1, Fordham, Cardozo, Seton Hall, Brooklyn, Hofstra, Rutgers Newark, Rutgers Camden, SUNY Buffalo, St. Johns, Syracuse, and U Albany, all of which are better schools, and a big lump of peer schools and TTTTs for New York. You'll be living in White Plains NY. You'll probably lose your scholarship in your 2L and or 3L year due to section stacking. Even with 20k, you'll still be paying 20k + fees + COL to go to school there. You'll be going to a school that didn't report employment stats. They probably didn't do this because it was going to embarass the competition.

The debt you take on to do this will be non-dischargable in bankruptcy. You will be excluded automatically from all but the worst job prospects. You will struggle to work anywhere, and have a lot of money to pay back regardless of whether you're the #1 student in your class, or right around the median (most likely). It doesn't matter how hard you hustle, your grades are determined by the largely arbitrary grading of a single set of exams.

Think about it long and hard. Now think about re-taking the LSAT, or a different line of work.

zanda

Silver

Post by zanda » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:59 pm

FYI Albany Law is a part of Union, NOT a part of SUNY Albany.

Fred_McGriff

Bronze

Post by Fred_McGriff » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:46 pm

zanda wrote:FYI Albany Law is a part of Union, NOT a part of SUNY Albany.
Well that changes everything.

chicago520

New

Post by chicago520 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:56 pm

Pace Law School is honestly one of the worst law schools in New York, if not the entire United States. It seriously almost lost its ABA accredation (I heard this from a DEAN, not some 0L).

Do not go there, for you will ruin your life. How many god damn times do people have to SHOUT this before it gets through. :twisted: You would barely have a chance if you went to a T1 law school (barely is the key word). You have NO chance there.

Albany, Pace, Tuoro, Syracuse, blah blah blah. They are ALL terrible and offer virtually nothing but misery to their poor, and stupid, graduates.

Run as fast as you can.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sanjola

Bronze

Post by sanjola » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:57 pm

chicago520 wrote:Pace Law School is honestly one of the worst law schools in New York, if not the entire United States. It seriously almost lost its ABA accredation (I heard this from a DEAN, not some 0L).

Do not go there, for you will ruin your life. How many god damn times do people have to SHOUT this before it gets through. :twisted: You would barely have a chance if you went to a T1 law school (barely is the key word). You have NO chance there.

Albany, Pace, Tuoro, Syracuse, blah blah blah. They are ALL terrible and offer virtually nothing but misery to their poor, and stupid, graduates.

Run as fast as you can.

Pace is worst in the country? Nah. NYLS is worse, and it's a tier higher than Pace, because of it's highly unethical ways of getting money out of students.

Albany and Syracuse place people in upstate NY. T14 grads don't want to work up there and so guess who gets those jobs?

Also, Tuoro is super cheap, like it should be, and shouldn't be compared to the worse law schools in the country that are in the T4 and charge $40K+ a year.

JDeterminedF

New

Post by JDeterminedF » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:10 pm

I wouldn’t necessarily call 39k cheap!

RockyIII

Bronze

Post by RockyIII » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:16 pm

wtf are you talking about Tuoro's yearly tuition is over 40k

http://www.tourolaw.edu/StudentResources/?pageid=266

sanjola

Bronze

Post by sanjola » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:39 pm

Right, but they give out a lot of money with rarely any stipulations.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dpk711

Silver

Post by dpk711 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:41 pm

OP, please don't go to this school, I hate to say it but retake and reapply...

LawSchoolSucks

New

Post by LawSchoolSucks » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:54 pm

Would any of you advise attending pace if you were 100% sure that you wanted to practice environmental law after graduating? For that matter, will attending a school ranked highly in a specific area of law help with the hiring process in that field upon graduation? Just curious as to what informed posters have to say on the matter, I myself have no intention of attending pace.

dpk711

Silver

Post by dpk711 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:57 pm

LawSchoolSucks wrote:Would any of you advise attending pace if you were 100% sure that you wanted to practice environmental law after graduating? For that matter, will attending a school ranked highly in a specific area of law help with the hiring process in that field upon graduation? Just curious as to what informed posters have to say on the matter, I myself have no intention of attending pace.
general TLS wisdom is that specialty rankings are useless...

LawSchoolSucks

New

Post by LawSchoolSucks » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:01 pm

general TLS wisdom is that specialty rankings are useless...[/quote]

Thanks for the response. Pretty much what I assumed.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

chicago520

New

Post by chicago520 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:46 pm

sanjola wrote:
chicago520 wrote:Pace Law School is honestly one of the worst law schools in New York, if not the entire United States. It seriously almost lost its ABA accredation (I heard this from a DEAN, not some 0L).

Run as fast as you can.

Pace is worst in the country? Nah. NYLS is worse, and it's a tier higher than Pace, because of it's highly unethical ways of getting money out of students.

Albany and Syracuse place people in upstate NY. T14 grads don't want to work up there and so guess who gets those jobs?

Also, Tuoro is super cheap, like it should be, and shouldn't be compared to the worse law schools in the country that are in the T4 and charge $40K+ a year.

"those jobs" lol. there aren't many up there, and the ones that do exist, are SHIT law to the max.

sanjola

Bronze

Post by sanjola » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:57 pm

chicago520 wrote:
sanjola wrote:

Run as fast as you can.

"those jobs" lol. there aren't many up there, and the ones that do exist, are SHIT law to the max.
Did I say otherwise?

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:07 am

Wanna add in that COL in White Plains is exceptionally high on top of all that. DO NOT GO THERE.

MrPapagiorgio

Gold

Post by MrPapagiorgio » Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:20 am

I live around White Plains and I am telling you this: the best firm jobs you will have from Pace are White Plains firms. And they only take the top graduates. I caddied at a country club with many members who were partners at White Plains firms. And every single one of them (talking about 12 from I believe 5 different firms) said that Pace is a "fine school," but they simple only want the best. And after that, nobody else wants Pace grads because of this:
Fred_McGriff wrote:You'll be competing with the entire T14, the top of the T30, the very top of T1, Fordham, Cardozo, Seton Hall, Brooklyn, Hofstra, Rutgers Newark, Rutgers Camden, St. Johns.
Do not go to Pace unless you are on full scholarship and have a ties to White Plains. And of course, this is very, very credited:
Arbiter213 wrote:Wanna add in that COL in White Plains is exceptionally high on top of all that. DO NOT GO THERE.

kruiz88

Bronze

Post by kruiz88 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:31 am

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”