University of Miami Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Grizz

Diamond

Re: University of Miami

Post by Grizz » Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:32 pm

Kendi wrote:
rad law wrote:It doesn't. UF does about as well, and it's a pretty desirable market, so a lot of people leave to go to prestigious schools and come back. Plus, South FL is not as parochial as other Southern markets.
Before enrolling into Miami I was told UF and FSU are a bit of a factor in South Florida (mainly through alumni). I was also advised, as you mentioned, Ivy snowbird grads have a fair shot. For a while I actually believed it and considered heading north, but later thought better of it―my decision was mostly to do with the weather forecast than analytical reasoning!

The one surprise was that Miami did not offer much more $$ than the northern schools. In the end, all is good, and looking forward to my daily ride down US-1.
You shot at biglaw is almost nil, but you probably knew that already. Best of luck; enjoy the weather and beaches.

Kendi

New

Post by Kendi » Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:40 am

rad law wrote:You shot at biglaw is almost nil, but you probably knew that already. Best of luck; enjoy the weather and beaches.
That's the plan!

I will say, back when I was thoroughly researching BigLaw I noticed numerous firms had offices in Miami. I checked their web sites and saw that many of their associates were UM grads. I never learned what the pay scale was but I figured it was less than the $160K everyone always mentions. On the other hand, with no state tax or NYC tax, $135K here is probably better than $160K up there.

For the moment I shall put all of that in the rearview until 2014. Later!

Dripworx

Bronze

Post by Dripworx » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:41 am

So excited to start in August. First thing I did upon acceptance was buy my "UM Law" license tag, sticker, lanyard and set my phone background to UM lol

Needless to say, Ive become a cane overnight lol! All the issues of job prospects are a little daunting (especially after reading all the previous posts) but honestly, there are 3 years left and many things can happen over that period of time. I have faith that the market will swing back! :mrgreen:

snakebones

New

Post by snakebones » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:51 am

Dripworx wrote:First thing I did upon acceptance was buy my "UM Law" license tag, sticker, lanyard
Where did you get all that stuff? I didn't see it in the bookstore

Dripworx

Bronze

Post by Dripworx » Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:57 am

Sorry that was poorly phrased! Just the license tag was "UM Law", the lanyard and sticker are simply UM. I got all of that at the bookstore. Unless they ran out since last month?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bigred87

New

Post by bigred87 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:24 am

fhfg
Last edited by bigred87 on Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

IrwinM.Fletcher

Silver

Post by IrwinM.Fletcher » Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:41 pm

bigred87 wrote:That your shot at BigLaw is nil is quite inaccurate. I landed in the top 1% of the class after 1L, and interviewed for summer associate positions with Greenberg, Holland & Knight, White & Case, McDermott Will, Bilzin, Gunster, Carlton Fields, Shook Hardy, Sidley Austin, Proskauer, Hogan Lovells and many other regionals. I didn't get a single callback or offer...though I landed a BigLaw job in the California market. Many other people on law review and toward the top of the class ended up with no offers as well, and many with no redeeming big law offers in other markets. However, a bunch did land Miami, southeast and a few NY big and medium-size firm summer jobs. However, from what I understand, the Miami market sucks right now, they are hiring hardly any summers these days, and so many bright top students ended up with empty hands and no offers after recruiting season. Absolutely horrific. What's worse---the school didn't seem care.

Lesson--stay away from UMiami right now. Chances of biglaw or even medium law there are decreasing.
If true, that is mortifying- top 1% and not a single Miami market callback???

Congrats on the CA offer. It sounds like you escaped the meat grinder and won the lottery.

nodummy

Bronze

Post by nodummy » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:15 am

bigred87 wrote:
rad law wrote:
Kendi wrote:
rad law wrote:It doesn't. UF does about as well, and it's a pretty desirable market, so a lot of people leave to go to prestigious schools and come back. Plus, South FL is not as parochial as other Southern markets.
Before enrolling into Miami I was told UF and FSU are a bit of a factor in South Florida (mainly through alumni). I was also advised, as you mentioned, Ivy snowbird grads have a fair shot. For a while I actually believed it and considered heading north, but later thought better of it―my decision was mostly to do with the weather forecast than analytical reasoning!

The one surprise was that Miami did not offer much more $$ than the northern schools. In the end, all is good, and looking forward to my daily ride down US-1.
You shot at biglaw is almost nil, but you probably knew that already. Best of luck; enjoy the weather and beaches.
That your shot at BigLaw is nil is quite inaccurate. I landed in the top 1% of the class after 1L, and interviewed for summer associate positions with Greenberg, Holland & Knight, White & Case, McDermott Will, Bilzin, Gunster, Carlton Fields, Shook Hardy, Sidley Austin, Proskauer, Hogan Lovells and many other regionals. I didn't get a single callback or offer...though I landed a BigLaw job in the California market. Many other people on law review and toward the top of the class ended up with no offers as well, and many with no redeeming big law offers in other markets. However, a bunch did land Miami, southeast and a few NY big and medium-size firm summer jobs. However, from what I understand, the Miami market sucks right now, they are hiring hardly any summers these days, and so many bright top students ended up with empty hands and no offers after recruiting season. Absolutely horrific. What's worse---the school didn't seem care.

Lesson--stay away from UMiami right now. Chances of biglaw or even medium law there are decreasing.
Can you offer any proof that you finished where you claim? I know others at UM who finished top-10 and secured big law employment this last year. I think it's very easy to make these claims when you're anonymous...how about PMing me your info?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”