Any UVA Law Students Want to Weigh In On This? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
unc0mm0n1

Gold

Re: Any UVA Law Students Want to Weigh In On This?

Post by unc0mm0n1 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:49 am

Fred_McGriff wrote:
DeeCee wrote:Anyway, that doesn't make this flag shit right and I find it ridiculous that people still cling to this symbol with pride.

"That's just, like, your opinion man..."
you're a hundred percent right but our opinion is what we use when we decide where to go to law school. I don't like the symbol and that's my opinion, I also would not like to be in a place that glorifies a symbol like that. That's why I'm so glad so many current UVA students have spoken out against it. It's just weird to me, I lived in Germany for a few years and they almost act like 1939-45 didn't happen. Besides a few pockets of Neo-nazis you never see the swastika, there is no glorification of a regime that committed unspeakable atrocities, there is no calls for the Third Reich to rise again. Not saying the German mindset is perfect, limiting free speech and censoring books, but they have made a concerted effort to make sure the symbols of an embarrassing period aren't held up for praise.

cornellbeez

Bronze

Post by cornellbeez » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:17 am

Fred_McGriff wrote:Don't let that article influence your LS decision... Racism exists everywhere, as an alum of UVA for undergrad I can tell you Charlottesville is a cosmopolitan place that isn't any more or less racist than Boston, New York, or any other major city.
Seriously? Did you grow up in bumblefuckville?

vamedic03

Gold

Post by vamedic03 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:35 am

cornellbeez wrote:
Fred_McGriff wrote:Don't let that article influence your LS decision... Racism exists everywhere, as an alum of UVA for undergrad I can tell you Charlottesville is a cosmopolitan place that isn't any more or less racist than Boston, New York, or any other major city.
Have you ever spent time in Charlottesville?

cornellbeez

Bronze

Post by cornellbeez » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:38 am

vamedic03 wrote:
cornellbeez wrote:
Yes, albeit a short period of time. I don't think it's as racist as this thread suggests, but it's definitely not cosmopolitan considering it's filled with WASPs. I don't see how a place that's like 90% white is considered "cosmopolitan." It's also extremely tiny and rural, more rural than other rural T-14 locations.

MrAnon

Gold

Post by MrAnon » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:41 am

Its not known as the most progressive school. Sure it has its liberal defenders but if this is the kind of thing you are worried about or it tends to weigh on your mind heavily then simply choose another school. This isnt the first or last incident like this.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cornellbeez

Bronze

Post by cornellbeez » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:48 am

MrAnon wrote:Its not known as the most progressive school. Sure it has its liberal defenders but if this is the kind of thing you are worried about or it tends to weigh on your mind heavily then simply choose another school. This isnt the first or last incident like this.
If this happened at any other T-14, I think the frat would have been suspended or some other drastic measure taken.

vamedic03

Gold

Post by vamedic03 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:33 am

cornellbeez wrote:
MrAnon wrote:Its not known as the most progressive school. Sure it has its liberal defenders but if this is the kind of thing you are worried about or it tends to weigh on your mind heavily then simply choose another school. This isnt the first or last incident like this.
If this happened at any other T-14, I think the frat would have been suspended or some other drastic measure taken.
The law school would have suspended the frat?

A public university would be able to take action against the display of a confederate flag on private property? You realize that public universities are restricted by the 1st Amendment, right?

sundance95

Gold

Post by sundance95 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:51 am

cornellbeez wrote:Yes, albeit a short period of time. I don't think it's as racist as this thread suggests, but it's definitely not cosmopolitan considering it's filled with WASPs. I don't see how a place that's like 90% white is considered "cosmopolitan." It's also extremely tiny and rural, more rural than other rural T-14 locations.
vamedic03 wrote:
cornellbeez wrote:If this happened at any other T-14, I think the frat would have been suspended or some other drastic measure taken.
The law school would have suspended the frat?

A public university would be able to take action against the display of a confederate flag on private property? You realize that public universities are restricted by the 1st Amendment, right?
+1. What are looking for here cornell, other than to grind an axe with UVA? It's been established that the flag was not in fact associated with the law school, and was instead at a frat house that was rented out. Furthermore, you have people who actually, you know, go there, who are all saying that the culture at the law school does not accept racism. So let it go, mang, and go somewhere else.

BruceWayne

Gold

Post by BruceWayne » Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:01 am

cornellbeez wrote:Yes, albeit a short period of time. I don't think it's as racist as this thread suggests, but it's definitely not cosmopolitan considering it's filled with WASPs. I don't see how a place that's like 90% white is considered "cosmopolitan." It's also extremely tiny and rural, more rural than other rural T-14 locations.
LMAO! As if most of the people posting on this site aren't WASPS or people whose associates aren't 90 percent White!!!!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

vamedic03

Gold

Post by vamedic03 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:07 am

cornellbeez wrote:
vamedic03 wrote:
cornellbeez wrote:
Yes, albeit a short period of time. I don't think it's as racist as this thread suggests, but it's definitely not cosmopolitan considering it's filled with WASPs. I don't see how a place that's like 90% white is considered "cosmopolitan." It's also extremely tiny and rural, more rural than other rural T-14 locations.
(1) Way bigger metro area than Ithaca and only a little bit smaller than Ann Arbor

(2) You have a lot of hatred towards a school that you have essentially never been to or a town that you've never really spent any time in.

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:15 pm

BruceWayne wrote:
LMAO! As if most of the people posting on this site aren't WASPS or people whose associates aren't 90 percent White!!!!
I have no idea what you're talking about.

That's me in the middle, back from the dead bitchezz.

--ImageRemoved--

cornellbeez

Bronze

Post by cornellbeez » Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:36 pm

vamedic03 wrote: (1) Way bigger metro area than Ithaca and only a little bit smaller than Ann Arbor

(2) You have a lot of hatred towards a school that you have essentially never been to or a town that you've never really spent any time in.
It's, population wise, something like less than 1/3 the size of Ann Arbor proper. Neither is a proper city, but AA still feels much bigger, and AA is much closer to other cities/towns. There are a lot more minorities and international students in Ithaca and Ann Arbor.

Not hatred, but I think the UVA trolling is ridiculous on TLS. Calling Charlottesville "cosmopolitan"? WTF. Maybe it's cosmopolitan if you grew up in bumbfuckville, which I guess maybe many UVA students did considering something like half the class is from Virginia.

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:44 pm

cornellbeez wrote:
vamedic03 wrote: (1) Way bigger metro area than Ithaca and only a little bit smaller than Ann Arbor

It's, population wise, something like less than 1/3 the size of Ann Arbor proper. Neither is a proper city, but AA still feels much bigger, and AA is much closer to other cities/towns. There are a lot more minorities and international students in Ithaca and Ann Arbor.

Not hatred, but I think the UVA trolling is ridiculous on TLS. Calling Charlottesville "cosmopolitan"? WTF. Maybe it's cosmopolitan if you grew up in bumbfuckville, which I guess maybe many UVA students did considering something like half the class is from Virginia.
Why do you hate our Kool Aid?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

vamedic03

Gold

Post by vamedic03 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:51 pm

cornellbeez wrote:

I'm glad you don't go to UVA. Your anti-UVA trolling borders on the level of quackeroats.

unc0mm0n1

Gold

Post by unc0mm0n1 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:01 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:

--ImageRemoved--
So funny I just saw cube in concert last night..... very disappointing....

edit what is cube wearing and why is he the only one with his name on his hat? The 80's were the best.

R.R. Raskolnikov

Bronze

Post by R.R. Raskolnikov » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:23 pm

cornellbeez wrote:

I'm not the authority on this, but I just got back from visiting Michigan Law and what I saw of Ann Arbor was overwhelmingly white. I absolutely loved the place and I would say it was very cultured, but it wasn't exactly cosmopolitan in the sense of racial diversity. Now I'm sure the law school is especially white and that is where I spent most of my time, but even walking around the rest of town I could probably count the number of minorities I saw on my hands. It's entirely possible that was enigmatic and there is a more diverse population there than I saw, but we're not exactly talking about NYC.

I think it has also been pointed out around here that UVA actually has a favorable amount of AA students compared to other T-14 schools (more than Michigan IIRC). That doesn't make Charlottesville especially diverse either, but I don't get all the UVA bashing on this.

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:32 pm

unc0mm0n1 wrote:
paulinaporizkova wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:

--ImageRemoved--
So funny I just saw cube in concert last night..... very disappointing....

edit what is cube wearing and why is he the only one with his name on his hat? The 80's were the best.
what? disappointing??? you tell lies!

though i think the movies "are we there yet" and "XXX state of the union" might have taken the gangster edge off ever so slightly.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

cornellbeez

Bronze

Post by cornellbeez » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:02 am

R.R. Raskolnikov wrote: I'm not the authority on this, but I just got back from visiting Michigan Law and what I saw of Ann Arbor was overwhelmingly white. I absolutely loved the place and I would say it was very cultured, but it wasn't exactly cosmopolitan in the sense of racial diversity. Now I'm sure the law school is especially white and that is where I spent most of my time, but even walking around the rest of town I could probably count the number of minorities I saw on my hands. It's entirely possible that was enigmatic and there is a more diverse population there than I saw, but we're not exactly talking about NYC.

I think it has also been pointed out around here that UVA actually has a favorable amount of AA students compared to other T-14 schools (more than Michigan IIRC). That doesn't make Charlottesville especially diverse either, but I don't get all the UVA bashing on this.
- I think Mich and UVA Law have a similar percentage of minorities, but UM as a whole has as higher percentage of minorities than UVA. This seems fitting considering UM is a science-focused university with a lot of research work, and it has a relatively high percentage of international students.

- APALSA is one of the two largest student groups at Mich Law. (Outlaws - the LGBT group may be the largest).

- I didn't say AA was cosmopolitan, but I was critiquing the fact that someone called Charlottesville "cosmopolitan." I have lived primarily in CA/NY, and I felt a bit more at home in AA than in Charlottesville.

vamedic03

Gold

Post by vamedic03 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:58 am

cornellbeez wrote:
R.R. Raskolnikov wrote: I'm not the authority on this, but I just got back from visiting Michigan Law and what I saw of Ann Arbor was overwhelmingly white. I absolutely loved the place and I would say it was very cultured, but it wasn't exactly cosmopolitan in the sense of racial diversity. Now I'm sure the law school is especially white and that is where I spent most of my time, but even walking around the rest of town I could probably count the number of minorities I saw on my hands. It's entirely possible that was enigmatic and there is a more diverse population there than I saw, but we're not exactly talking about NYC.

- I think Mich and UVA Law have a similar percentage of minorities, but UM as a whole has as higher percentage of minorities than UVA. This seems fitting considering UM is a science-focused university with a lot of research work, and it has a relatively high percentage of international students.

- APALSA is one of the two largest student groups at Mich Law. (Outlaws - the LGBT group may be the largest).

- I didn't say AA was cosmopolitan, but I was critiquing the fact that someone called Charlottesville "cosmopolitan." I have lived primarily in CA/NY, and I felt a bit more at home in AA than in Charlottesville.
So, how about you just renounce all your ridiculous earlier statements that were completely unfounded in fact?

Fred_McGriff

Bronze

Post by Fred_McGriff » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:26 pm

To frame it in a bit of perspective:

- I grew up in and around a very large city
- There isn't a single WASP in my family going back as far as I know
- My extended family on both sides have been living in Albemarle county for around 200 years
- I went to UVA undergrad

I've known Charlottesville, and Central Virginial for my entire life, and I've lived in several major cities. If you're talking about Albemarle County, you'll find plenty of rednecks, one horse towns, and places the dazzling urbanites that are talking shit about Charlottesville wouldn't dream to set their Bruno Maglis in... However, the city of Charlottesville has more restaurants per capita than any city in the US, it has a thriving arts scene, a major research University that draws a lot of bright people from all over the world, a surprisingly large smattering of skilled professions (finance, music production, brewing, law, medicine, publishing, etc.), an extremely high quality of life, and no issues with racial, religious, or any other sort of intolerance you wouldn't run into in a major city. For a city of its size, it is the textbook definition of cosmopolitan.

I could literally spend hours detailing all of the pos of living in that city, the great public schools, the high level of diversity, the awesome public transit, every square inch of the Downtown Mall, but if you're going to let a Rebel Flag in the basement of a single Fraternity house paint your picture of the city as a whole, it's probably a lost cause anyway.

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:30 pm

Fred_McGriff wrote:To frame it in a bit of perspective:

- My extended family on both sides have been living in Albemarle county for around 200 years

I've known Charlottesville, and Central Virginial for my entire life, and I've lived in several major cities. If you're talking about Albemarle County, you'll find plenty of rednecks, one horse towns, and places the dazzling urbanites that are talking shit about Charlottesville wouldn't dream to set their Bruno Maglis in... However, the city of Charlottesville has more restaurants per capita than any city in the US, it has a thriving arts scene, a major research University that draws a lot of bright people from all over the world, a surprisingly large smattering of skilled professions (finance, music production, brewing, law, medicine, publishing, etc.), an extremely high quality of life, and no issues with racial, religious, or any other sort of intolerance you wouldn't run into in a major city. For a city of its size, it is the textbook definition of cosmopolitan.

I could literally spend hours detailing all of the pos of living in that city, the great public schools, the high level of diversity, the awesome public transit, every square inch of the Downtown Mall, but if you're going to let a Rebel Flag in the basement of a single Fraternity house paint your picture of the city as a whole, it's probably a lost cause anyway.
You. I like you.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

cornellbeez

Bronze

Post by cornellbeez » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:48 pm

vamedic03 wrote: So, how about you just renounce all your ridiculous earlier statements that were completely unfounded in fact?
What ridiculous statements? That Charlottesville is only cosmopolitan to those who grew up in bumbfuckville? I have lived in SF and New York, you aren't going to convince me otherwise. UVA is whiter than UM/Cornell as a whole. That doesn't sound that ridiculous to me.

Stringer Bell

Gold

Post by Stringer Bell » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:10 pm

unc0mm0n1 wrote: you're a hundred percent right but our opinion is what we use when we decide where to go to law school. I don't like the symbol and that's my opinion, I also would not like to be in a place that glorifies a symbol like that. That's why I'm so glad so many current UVA students have spoken out against it. It's just weird to me, I lived in Germany for a few years and they almost act like 1939-45 didn't happen. Besides a few pockets of Neo-nazis you never see the swastika, there is no glorification of a regime that committed unspeakable atrocities, there is no calls for the Third Reich to rise again. Not saying the German mindset is perfect, limiting free speech and censoring books, but they have made a concerted effort to make sure the symbols of an embarrassing period aren't held up for praise.
I understand the comparison and why the confederate flag offends people, but there is quite a difference between that symbol and a swastika.

Also, Columbus did stuff that was way more jacked up than the confederacy and he gets a national holiday celebrating his accomplishments.

Fred_McGriff

Bronze

Post by Fred_McGriff » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:45 pm

cornellbeez wrote:
vamedic03 wrote: So, how about you just renounce all your ridiculous earlier statements that were completely unfounded in fact?
What ridiculous statements? That Charlottesville is only cosmopolitan to those who grew up in bumbfuckville? I have lived in SF and New York, you aren't going to convince me otherwise. UVA is whiter than UM/Cornell as a whole. That doesn't sound that ridiculous to me.
If you're equating skin color to cosmopolitan city culture, sweet life. I've lived in SF, NYC, and Charlottesville (many years in each city) and C-Ville is never going to compare to either of those cities based on size alone... it isn't in a metro area of millions of people. For a city of its size, it is about as cosmopolitan as you'll find anywhere. Also, UVA =/= Charlottesville, there's a lot more to the city than the school.

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:57 pm

Fred_McGriff wrote:To frame it in a bit of perspective:

Let's not go nuts here. Charlottesville's QOL is divided between wealthy professors and professionals, students living the high life on loans, and townies trying to live. Having seen the projects and government assisted housing here, I certainly wouldn't generally describe Charlottesville as generally providing an extremely high quality of life. On the issue of intolerance, things happen in Charlottesville that probably wouldn't happen as frequently in other places and when they happen the attitude is invariably one of resignation or shifting blame. A Confederate flag might have found its way into an NYU party but their response would probably have been closer to a vigil making a stand against intolerance than 'you can't prove that their intent was discriminatory' and 'it's not offensive get over it.'
Last edited by Kohinoor on Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”