Emory 2L Taking Q's Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.

Which should I work on?

LJ work
26%
This thread
74%

Total votes: 58

Metaread

Bronze

Re: Emory 2L Taking Q's

Post by Metaread » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:06 pm

Is this actually by Emory law students? If so, it's a bit worrisome, even if it's just a vocal minority: http://emorylawstudent.com/

david787

Bronze

Post by david787 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:43 pm

Will the drop in rank this year improve my chances of getting off the waitlist or did they factor that in already?

kaspar

New

Post by kaspar » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:53 am

MrAnon wrote:Soooo what's the bottom line here? Are things getting better or worse? I think it stands to reason that the situation could really deteriorate when next years rankings hit newstands.
Bottom line: employment numbers will go back up next year. The rank will not shoot back up, a la GW, because the drop is going to have a real effect on the incoming class. Emory has crept up in median GPA/LSAT every year for the past few years, and that will likely not happen this year. It will probably be the same as the current 1L class, maybe a 1 point drop in median LSAT, but word is they are focusing more on GPA this year and going forward.

My best guess: it will move up a couple of spots in 2012 rankings, then within 1-2 years be back in the low 20's.
Metaread wrote:Is this actually by Emory law students? If so, it's a bit worrisome, even if it's just a vocal minority: http://emorylawstudent.com/
Hard to say. I don't know who it is, but it very well may be students. If it is, it's sort of sad. It seems like they're searching really hard to find things to complain about. The faculty decided to not make student-by-student grade distributions available anymore? Who cares.
david787 wrote:Will the drop in rank this year improve my chances of getting off the waitlist or did they factor that in already?
I have no inside information about the admissions process, so I have no idea. Logically, if less straight admit students matriculate, they may take more people off the waitlist? On the other hand, the 1L class this year is quite large and is apparently much bigger than they intended, so they may be wary of the WL this yea. But again, total speculation.

MrAnon

Gold

Post by MrAnon » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:33 pm

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=152313

It does not look like employment is creeping up one iota.

bigredforlaw

New

Post by bigredforlaw » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:46 pm

Can someone possibly compile a list of apartments walkable to the law school and also those on the cliff shuttle route to emory? Thanks!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jamaicanjynx

New

Post by jamaicanjynx » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:55 am

bigredforlaw wrote:Can someone possibly compile a list of apartments walkable to the law school and also those on the cliff shuttle route to emory? Thanks!

I gotta admit, that'd be pretty useful information. But that's about 10 different shuttle routes to cover.

bigredforlaw

New

Post by bigredforlaw » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:43 pm

jamaicanjynx wrote:
bigredforlaw wrote:Can someone possibly compile a list of apartments walkable to the law school and also those on the cliff shuttle route to emory? Thanks!

I gotta admit, that'd be pretty useful information. But that's about 10 different shuttle routes to cover.
Hm I see. How about some of the "better" apartments popular with law students that are walkable or on the shuttle route? I'm not looking for an exhaustive list or anything, just an idea of which apartments to look into. I've only looked a little so far, but most of the websites are not very clear about whether they are actually on the shuttle route or not.

jamaicanjynx

New

Post by jamaicanjynx » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:54 pm

Just off the top of my head,

Clairmont Reserve - C shuttle
Somerset Heights - C shuttle
Emory Woods - 5 mins walk to North Dekalb/South Dekalb & CCTMA shuttles
Presidents Park - 5 mins walk to North Dekalb/South Dekalb & CCTMA shuttles
Gables Montclair - 5 mins walk to North Dekalb/South Dekalb & CCTMA shuttles
Clifton Apartments - across the road from the law school. These might be all condos for purchase though.
Post Briarcliff - Executive Park shuttle
Campus Crossings - B shuttle
Gables Rock Springs & Lullwater Apts are also w/in 1 or 2 miles of campus. I'm not sure if any shuttles specifically stop at those complexes though.

gotcha

New

Post by gotcha » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:19 am

jamaicanjynx wrote:Just off the top of my head,

Clairmont Reserve - C shuttle
Somerset Heights - C shuttle
Emory Woods - 5 mins walk to North Dekalb/South Dekalb & CCTMA shuttles
Presidents Park - 5 mins walk to North Dekalb/South Dekalb & CCTMA shuttles
Gables Montclair - 5 mins walk to North Dekalb/South Dekalb & CCTMA shuttles
Clifton Apartments - across the road from the law school. These might be all condos for purchase though.
Post Briarcliff - Executive Park shuttle
Campus Crossings - B shuttle
Gables Rock Springs & Lullwater Apts are also w/in 1 or 2 miles of campus. I'm not sure if any shuttles specifically stop at those complexes though.
Thanks JJ.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Metaread

Bronze

Post by Metaread » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:43 am

So it's not possible to get housing on Emory's campus right? Don't they have graduate housing of some sort?

forty-two

Bronze

Post by forty-two » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:02 pm

Metaread wrote:So it's not possible to get housing on Emory's campus right? Don't they have graduate housing of some sort?
I think campus crossings is the semi-affiliated grad student housing. It's a bit more expensive than the other complexes I know of, but the building is new, the apartments are furnished, and the management will match you with other grad students if you want roommates but don't know anyone in the area. I know law students in most of the complexes listed above though...we're pretty much everywhere haha.

gotcha

New

Post by gotcha » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:27 pm

So, parking... What's the deal? At my current school, parking restrictions are lifted after certain times each day. Is that the case at Emory or am I forced to spend the $650 on a parking pass if I want to go to campus after the shuttles stop running?

gobucks101

Gold

Post by gobucks101 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:45 pm

gotcha wrote:So, parking... What's the deal? At my current school, parking restrictions are lifted after certain times each day. Is that the case at Emory or am I forced to spend the $650 on a parking pass if I want to go to campus after the shuttles stop running?
The law school parking lot is open after 4, and open on weekends

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jamaicanjynx

New

Post by jamaicanjynx » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:16 pm

Metaread wrote:So it's not possible to get housing on Emory's campus right? Don't they have graduate housing of some sort?
They don't have any grad housing. It used to be President's Park, but the same company that owns Campus Crossings bought PP my 1L year. Campus Crossings is affiliated in the sense that it's the only complex that Emory seems to directly recommend.

gotcha

New

Post by gotcha » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:31 pm

gobucks101 wrote:
gotcha wrote:So, parking... What's the deal? At my current school, parking restrictions are lifted after certain times each day. Is that the case at Emory or am I forced to spend the $650 on a parking pass if I want to go to campus after the shuttles stop running?
The law school parking lot is open after 4, and open on weekends
Excellent. Thanks! I couldn't find it on their webpage...

gotcha

New

Post by gotcha » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:21 pm

I have another housing question. I was looking through brochures picked up at ASW, and it is hard to tell which complexes have a Cliff stop. So, what apartments have Cliff stops at the entrance?

FGCUguy123

Bronze

Post by FGCUguy123 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:07 am

gotcha wrote:I have another housing question. I was looking through brochures picked up at ASW, and it is hard to tell which complexes have a Cliff stop. So, what apartments have Cliff stops at the entrance?
I had a similar question, yet in reference to Clairmont Reserve

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

gotcha

New

Post by gotcha » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:40 pm

FGCUguy123 wrote:
gotcha wrote:I have another housing question. I was looking through brochures picked up at ASW, and it is hard to tell which complexes have a Cliff stop. So, what apartments have Cliff stops at the entrance?
Yeah, I was thinking about living there but when I checked out the cliff route, for some reason I never saw a shuttle roll past there even though the route map showed that it should...

Metaread

Bronze

Post by Metaread » Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:42 am

How urgent is it to find housing at this point in time? I'm still not 100% sure if I'll attend Emory, but I was wondering if housing gets scarce closer to mid-May/June?

bigredforlaw

New

Post by bigredforlaw » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:43 pm

FGCUguy123 wrote:
From the Clairmont Reserve, you pick up the shuttle that services Emory's Clairmont campus (undegrad). It stops just across the street from the Clairmont Reserve, so a really short walk, but it really depends on where your apartment is located.

FGCUguy123

Bronze

Post by FGCUguy123 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:11 pm

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

bigredforlaw

New

Post by bigredforlaw » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:06 pm

wilhay

New

Post by wilhay » Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:05 am

Hey,

I don't know if Emory students are still replying to this, but I had a question about the 'well-readness' of students at Emory. Are people internationally aware ie aware of current events, have exposure to stuff not just in the boundaries of America? I know Emory Law hosts a lot of international talks and whatnot, but does this reflect the interests of the students?

Really specific question, I know, but bear with me.

Thanks! :)

MrAnon

Gold

Post by MrAnon » Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:52 pm

wilhay wrote:Hey,

I don't know if Emory students are still replying to this, but I had a question about the 'well-readness' of students at Emory. Are people internationally aware ie aware of current events, have exposure to stuff not just in the boundaries of America? I know Emory Law hosts a lot of international talks and whatnot, but does this reflect the interests of the students?

Really specific question, I know, but bear with me.

Thanks! :)
LOL what? All law students are experts at whatever is going on in the media. That's kind of the problem--there is no special skill involved.

c3pO4

Silver

Post by c3pO4 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:32 pm

kaspar wrote: Bottom line: employment numbers will go back up next year.
So, did they? I think this year class of 2013 SA was kindof a bloodbath. Am I wrong?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”