Georgetown 1L(s) Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Racer 10 Seconds

New

Georgetown 1L(s) Taking Questions

Post by Racer 10 Seconds » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:33 am

Georgetown 1L taking questions on anything y'all want. This site helped me get into and (so far) do well at Georgetown, so anything I can give back to it I'm happy to. Any other Georgetown student who wants to answer is welcome to. Also check out the Georgetown 3L's post in this forum; it has lots of good information.

I'll check this from time to time until it dies.

spaceman82

New

Re: Georgetown 1L(s) Taking Questions

Post by spaceman82 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:55 pm

I asked a couple of these questions in the other thread, but I'd like to get a 1L's perspective on them as well if you don't mind:

Do you feel that the large class size at GULC affected your experience there negatively at all, whether in terms of actual study or the support you received from the various offices? How do you feel about the administration overall?

Reputation-/Prestige-wise, how do you think GULC fares when it comes to non-government PI work, especially as compared to other T14 schools (if you have any point of reference for such a comparison)?

Are you living on- or off-campus? How do you feel about your choice?

Thanks for taking the time to answer questions!

The Gentleman

Silver

Post by The Gentleman » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:08 pm

Thanks for taking questions. What other schools were you seriously considering? What made you pick GULC?

And how competitive are the 1Ls?

Racer 10 Seconds

New

Post by Racer 10 Seconds » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:46 am

spaceman82 wrote:I asked a couple of these questions in the other thread, but I'd like to get a 1L's perspective on them as well if you don't mind:

Do you feel that the large class size at GULC affected your experience there negatively at all, whether in terms of actual study or the support you received from the various offices? How do you feel about the administration overall?
I feel most strongly about this, so I'm glad its first. GULC's large class size has been somewhere between irrelevant and a positive in my experience so far. It is irrelevant because you really only interact woth your section, which is a bit over a hundred people (although I think they are making them smaller next year). Its a positive because it allows Georgetown to do things like have a separate career services office just for public interest. This helps because they each specialize in different things, and even where they overlap, such as government positions, sometimes the different offices approach things from different directions, and give you complimentary advice for finding a job or planning a career. We also have a huge selection of classes/clinics/clubs, etc. The large size really allows people to find interesting things that are more a niche interest, and that might not be available at smaller schools.

The administration overall is, I would imagine, similar to other administrations. I really like OCS/OPICS so far, but besides that I haven't really interacted with authority figures outside of my professors. Our Dean being a moron in the NYT the other day isn't helpful, and I wish Georgetown was more transparent with employment figures, but thats a problem everywhere.

Racer 10 Seconds

New

Post by Racer 10 Seconds » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:53 am

spaceman82 wrote:Reputation-/Prestige-wise, how do you think GULC fares when it comes to non-government PI work, especially as compared to other T14 schools (if you have any point of reference for such a comparison)?!
I don't really have too much information here. I would imagine we pull above our weight, although certainly we are not at the level of, say, NYU. We are very ideally located for getting public interest positions relating to the government in one way or another, and, as I mentioned, its pretty cool to have a career services office devoted to just PI positions (OPICS). Even though we have so many people here, you would be amazed at how few of them actually take advantage of career services. I've been in both offices multiple times, they know me by name, and they have been a huge help. I never feel like they are overwhelmed or don't have time for me.

Lastly, we do have a program where 1L's can do PI work during their first year in school (like 10 hours a week). I just focused on grades, but for people that are interested, its certainly a cool opportunity, and I've heard of a few people turning it into a summer position, or using it as an important talking point on thier resume
spaceman82 wrote:Are you living on- or off-campus? How do you feel about your choice?!
I live off campus. I don't think it is really relevant to making friends, it was cheaper, and I was pretty thrilled to not be in the dorm during finals week. A lot less stressful in my house.
Last edited by Racer 10 Seconds on Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Racer 10 Seconds

New

Post by Racer 10 Seconds » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:59 am

The Gentleman wrote:Thanks for taking questions. What other schools were you seriously considering? What made you pick GULC?

I basically applied everywhere from Columbia on down to Fordhamm. I got WL at Columbia and various other T14, and then got a large amount of money from Georgetown. That combined my interest in federal government work made it a really easy choice. I visited during admitted students week and loved it, and here I am.

And how competitive are the 1Ls?
Not at all. I was very surprised by this, actually. I've heard so many tales of super-gunner law students. Our gunners were mostly just silly and endearing (asking about personal injuries to cats in torts), and everyone else was happy to share notes/outlines/ being scared about grades. Everyone wants to do well, of course, but not once did I hear or witness anything that I would consider dickish in the name of gaining an edge.

I did read in Above the Law of someone in Sec. 4 accusing someone else of cheating, but I have no idea beyond that story.

Redsgomarchingon

Bronze

Post by Redsgomarchingon » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:57 pm

Georgetown's current tuition for out of state is ~45K. (right?) Is it expected to increase over the next couple years?

Racer 10 Seconds

New

Post by Racer 10 Seconds » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:30 pm

Redsgomarchingon wrote:Georgetown's current tuition for out of state is ~45K. (right?) Is it expected to increase over the next couple years?

Georgetown's tuition for Class of 2013 is 45K. I expect it will continue to go up, yes, but have no way of knowing that for sure.
FWIW, although Georgetown seems to have a reputation for being stingy, they gave me a large amount of money within a week of me asking for it, and most of my friends have at least 10K off; I'm not sure if that's representative of the class as a whole, but I would certainly advise everyone to ask for money if they want it.

We also have a pretty sweet LRAP program if you are interested in PI or PS, so check that out too.

Also. Snow day!!!!

Emma1

Silver

Post by Emma1 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:23 pm

Racer 10 Seconds wrote:
spaceman82 wrote:I asked a couple of these questions in the other thread, but I'd like to get a 1L's perspective on them as well if you don't mind:

I feel most strongly about this, so I'm glad its first. GULC's large class size has been somewhere between irrelevant and a positive in my experience so far. It is irrelevant because you really only interact woth your section, which is a bit over a hundred people (although I think they are making them smaller next year). Its a positive because it allows Georgetown to do things like have a separate career services office just for public interest. This helps because they each specialize in different things, and even where they overlap, such as government positions, sometimes the different offices approach things from different directions, and give you complimentary advice for finding a job or planning a career. We also have a huge selection of classes/clinics/clubs, etc. The large size really allows people to find interesting things that are more a niche interest, and that might not be available at smaller schools.

The administration overall is, I would imagine, similar to other administrations. I really like OCS/OPICS so far, but besides that I haven't really interacted with authority figures outside of my professors. Our Dean being a moron in the NYT the other day isn't helpful, and I wish Georgetown was more transparent with employment figures, but thats a problem everywhere.

What did the Dean say or do?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Racer 10 Seconds

New

Post by Racer 10 Seconds » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:50 am

Emma1 wrote:What did the Dean say or do?
There was a NYT article in which they were looking at the high debt and uncertain job prospects of law school graduates, and they used an example where GULC had hired recent graduates for a short period time, which covered the time when U.S. News takes the employment data. One of our Deans said something about "losing track" of those graduates, which makes no sense. Basically, Georgetown is just as manipulative as everywhere else with employment statistics. Hopefully LST blows up and ends the nonsense.

awilson11

Bronze

Post by awilson11 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:04 pm

tagging this as I gather info about schools I have been accepted by

johnnyutah

Gold

Post by johnnyutah » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:41 pm

Why are D.C. people such status-obsessed tools?

hipstermafia

Silver

Post by hipstermafia » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:49 pm

johnnyutah wrote:Why are D.C. people such status-obsessed tools?
have you ever been to nyc or la?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Marionberry

Silver

Post by Marionberry » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:06 pm

Last edited by Marionberry on Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

johnnyutah

Gold

Post by johnnyutah » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:43 am

hipstermafia wrote:
johnnyutah wrote:Why are D.C. people such status-obsessed tools?
have you ever been to nyc or la?
Not really. I did get an obnoxious vibe from NYC when I was there for job interviews, though. Maybe you have a point.

Annie09

New

Post by Annie09 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:13 am

Can you tell me how you went about finding your apartment/room? I'll be living abroad all summer so I won't be able to check places out. How far out did you start your search? How hard is it to find a reasonable place within a 15-20 min walk to campus?

cassidylane

Bronze

Post by cassidylane » Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:20 am

Hi Georgetown 1Ls!

Did any of you interview before being admitted? Is the fact that I interviewed considered a good sign at all? I know its not an automatic admit by any means, but I was thinking maybe it means I'm not likely to get rejected.

Also, can anyone comment on the Jesuit affiliation? I personally am not religious and might feel uncomfortable in a very religious setting, but I'm guessing it does not have a massive impact on life. Thoughts?

Thanks!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Marionberry

Silver

Post by Marionberry » Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:01 am

cassidylane wrote:Hi Georgetown 1Ls!

Did any of you interview before being admitted? Is the fact that I interviewed considered a good sign at all? I know its not an automatic admit by any means, but I was thinking maybe it means I'm not likely to get rejected.

Also, can anyone comment on the Jesuit affiliation? I personally am not religious and might feel uncomfortable in a very religious setting, but I'm guessing it does not have a massive impact on life. Thoughts?

Thanks!
0L here, but I think I can answer your questions somewhat. The interview is a good sign in as much as they didn't want to reject you immediately. It still means you are borderline, so if your interview goes really well you have a chance. However, I don't know what the numbers are, but I think about as many interviewed applicants get accepted as get waitlisted (or preferred waitlist), and a small number get rejected. Not to be a downer, but it does seem like less acceptances have resulted from those interviews that applicants have had this late in the cycle. Do your best, but accept it for what it is: a sign that they are interested in you, but not enough to admit you based on your numbers. Your interview improves your chances, but at this point in the cycle there are simply less open seats in the class remaining.

Oh, and as far as the Jesuit thing goes, a current student could probably speak to this better than I could. I don't get the impression that it is a big deal, as it is a major university and administratively most big/prestigious schools seem to be pretty secular. I haven't heard anybody say anything about a religious atmosphere.

Using the forum search function will help you find a a lot of answers to similar questions that have been asked in the past on here.

bmneely

New

Post by bmneely » Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:17 am

If you don't mind me asking, how did you go about asking for money? I've been offered a pretty good amount of money at Cornell and Northwestern, but have pretty much heard nothing from Georgetown despite that being my preferred choice.
Last edited by bmneely on Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Racer 10 Seconds

New

Post by Racer 10 Seconds » Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:14 pm

Annie09 wrote:Can you tell me how you went about finding your apartment/room? I'll be living abroad all summer so I won't be able to check places out. How far out did you start your search? How hard is it to find a reasonable place within a 15-20 min walk to campus?
I actually found people on TLS. There are a few luxury apartments farily close to the east, and then some more residential apartments/house in Capitol Hill. A lot of people live up in NW on the Red Line.

If you are living abroad then it might be easiest just to live Geewirz. If you really do want to find an apartment you can just by walking around for a weekend, but you might not get the best deal. Its a huge city though, so there are always vacancies.

Racer 10 Seconds

New

Post by Racer 10 Seconds » Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:16 pm

bmneely wrote:If you don't mind me asking, how did you go about asking for money? I've been offered a pretty good amount of money at Cornell and Northwestern, but have pretty much heard nothing from Georgetown despite that being my preferred choice.
I just sent an email to admissions, saying I wanted to come but needed money. I received a fair amount, and I really didn't have any great schools to compare as far as scholarships go. Just don't be shy.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

D. H2Oman

Platinum

Post by D. H2Oman » Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:23 pm

cassidylane wrote:Also, can anyone comment on the Jesuit affiliation? I personally am not religious and might feel uncomfortable in a very religious setting, but I'm guessing it does not have a massive impact on life. Thoughts?

Thanks!

The impact of the Jesuit affiliation on Georgetown Law is somewhere in the zero range. Probably even lower than that.

Marionberry

Silver

Post by Marionberry » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:15 pm

Anyone know anything about the Loree Grand apartments?

Also, I asked this in another GULC thread but does anyone know how competitive either of the criminal law clinics are?

hipstermafia

Silver

Post by hipstermafia » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:24 pm

bmneely wrote:If you don't mind me asking, how did you go about asking for money? I've been offered a pretty good amount of money at Cornell and Northwestern, but have pretty much heard nothing from Georgetown despite that being my preferred choice.
are you talking about need-based aid or merit money? i'm pretty sure neither NU or Cornell have offered merit money yet, and each school has their own way of evaluating need-based aid and timeline for issuing awards.

hipstermafia

Silver

Post by hipstermafia » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:30 pm

Marionberry wrote:Anyone know anything about the Loree Grand apartments?
I don't know anything about those apartments specifically, but they are in a neighborhood that is undergoing a lot of change and commercialization (for the better I think). There is a new Harris Teeter grocery store and a few restaurants a few blocks north of there (M and 1st i think), and union station/gulc are certainly within walking distance.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”