American U. Wash. Law - Any Part-Timers Out there? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
neptunestar

New

American U. Wash. Law - Any Part-Timers Out there?

Post by neptunestar » Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:13 pm

Any part-timers at American out there? Where do you work and how is it going? Was just admitted and am struggling to find first-account info about the PT program online - seems to always be Fordham or GW related....

androstan

Gold

Re: American U. Wash. Law - Any Part-Timers Out there?

Post by androstan » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:10 pm

I, too, was admitted to the part-time program. I would love to hear from students in the program.

rockstar4488

Bronze

Post by rockstar4488 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:44 pm

Current 1L. Chose WCL PT over GW PT, GMU PT, Maryland PT, etc. Ask away.

androstan

Gold

Post by androstan » Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:16 pm

rockstar4488 wrote:Current 1L. Chose WCL PT over GW PT, GMU PT, Maryland PT, etc. Ask away.
1) Why WCL over GW???

2) Why WCL over UMD??

3) Why WCL over GMU?

HazelEyes

Bronze

Post by HazelEyes » Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:32 pm

neptunestar wrote:Any part-timers at American out there? Where do you work and how is it going? Was just admitted and am struggling to find first-account info about the PT program online - seems to always be Fordham or GW related....
PT at WCL too. The interesting thing about the PT program here is that close to 1/2 or 1/3 of the class actually doesn't work.

Many people switch into the full time program after a semester or a year.

However, i've been very pleased with the part time program, interesting classmates with actual life/work experience, which in turn makes the professors respect the class more. All law school activities are open to PT students as well, and even the student government meets at 10 PM to ensure that anyone who wants to can participate.

That being said, as an evening student you WILL miss out on things regardless, but I think WCL does a good job of at least trying to ensure equality.

If you end up attending WCL, I highly recommend the LAP program they have. Even though it costs money if you're PT you do get credits for it, and it was a great way to meet people in other sections and get a head start on law school.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

androstan

Gold

Post by androstan » Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:23 am

HazelEyes wrote:If you end up attending WCL, I highly recommend the LAP program they have. Even though it costs money if you're PT you do get credits for it, and it was a great way to meet people in other sections and get a head start on law school.
Thanks Hazel, for the rest of your post too. I only quote this part to ask, what is LAP?

HazelEyes

Bronze

Post by HazelEyes » Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:10 am

androstan wrote:
HazelEyes wrote:If you end up attending WCL, I highly recommend the LAP program they have. Even though it costs money if you're PT you do get credits for it, and it was a great way to meet people in other sections and get a head start on law school.
Thanks Hazel, for the rest of your post too. I only quote this part to ask, what is LAP?

LAP stands for Legal Analysis Program, and it's a week and a half program which starts right before law school does. It's essentially a head start to law school. There are about 60 people in the class and each day consists of lectures on different law subjects and workshops on various useful topics like how to brief cases, etc.

By the time law school rolled around, I knew many, many people who were NOT in my section, and I already felt comfortable with the school, I knew my way around and just felt more at ease.

LAP has a few required meetings during the semester, but those were generally enjoyable.

They send out an email in June or July about the LAP program and you have to write a letter of interest as to why you want to join LAP, but it's painless and if you show actual interest, chances are they will accept you.

androstan

Gold

Post by androstan » Sat Jan 01, 2011 4:18 pm

HazelEyes wrote:
androstan wrote:

LAP stands for Legal Analysis Program, and it's a week and a half program which starts right before law school does. It's essentially a head start to law school. There are about 60 people in the class and each day consists of lectures on different law subjects and workshops on various useful topics like how to brief cases, etc.

By the time law school rolled around, I knew many, many people who were NOT in my section, and I already felt comfortable with the school, I knew my way around and just felt more at ease.

LAP has a few required meetings during the semester, but those were generally enjoyable.

They send out an email in June or July about the LAP program and you have to write a letter of interest as to why you want to join LAP, but it's painless and if you show actual interest, chances are they will accept you.
Thanks for the heads up Hazel. I didn't know about that but if I choose AU I'll definitely look into it. I would be interested in getting a head start. Studying law is going to be a lot different for me since I've always done science/engineering so far.

HazelEyes

Bronze

Post by HazelEyes » Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:13 am

androstan wrote:
HazelEyes wrote:
androstan wrote:

Thanks for the heads up Hazel. I didn't know about that but if I choose AU I'll definitely look into it. I would be interested in getting a head start. Studying law is going to be a lot different for me since I've always done science/engineering so far.
I was a psych major, and trust me, it 's also a very different way of thinking. I'm happy to answer ANY questions.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”