GULC 1L taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Marionberry

Silver

Re: GULC 1L taking questions

Post by Marionberry » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:36 pm

I googled carmel plaza and didn't find anything, and all the Carmel apartment complexes seem to be in NW. Might the name be something else? I found a capitol park plaza, but that one is down by the Navy Yards and seems like it would certainly be more than a 5-7 minute walk.

Marionberry

Silver

Post by Marionberry » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:38 pm

peter844 wrote:How difficult is transferring into the full time program from part time at Georgetown? Do you know how often it is done?
From what I've read it used to be pretty easy in the past, but they may be making it more difficult. In fact, the PT program in general may be getting more competitive from what I've read. That is unsubstantiated, though.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:46 pm

Marionberry wrote:I googled carmel plaza and didn't find anything, and all the Carmel apartment complexes seem to be in NW. Might the name be something else? I found a capitol park plaza, but that one is down by the Navy Yards and seems like it would certainly be more than a 5-7 minute walk.
--LinkRemoved--

:?:

Marionberry

Silver

Post by Marionberry » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:02 pm

bk187 wrote:
Marionberry wrote:I googled carmel plaza and didn't find anything, and all the Carmel apartment complexes seem to be in NW. Might the name be something else? I found a capitol park plaza, but that one is down by the Navy Yards and seems like it would certainly be more than a 5-7 minute walk.
--LinkRemoved--

:?:
nm, internets fail on my part. I must have only looked for it on craigslist, assuming that all apartments advertise on there. Those don't look too bad, though they don't allow pets so it's not an option for us.

3ThrowAway99

Gold

Post by 3ThrowAway99 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:17 pm

This is the first time I've ever heard of Curriculum B at G-town. You discussed certain aspects of it on the 1st page of this thread, but if you don't mind explaining further: what the heck is this and how does it differ from Curriculum A? (is there even a Curriculum A?). Does everyone need to choose which path to take or is A the default? Are the first year courses the same for everyone? Thanks.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kmcdona1

New

Post by kmcdona1 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:11 pm

Thanks for taking questions! Did you attend an admitted students weekend? Did you find it helpful / would you recommend it?

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:01 am

Lawquacious wrote:This is the first time I've ever heard of Curriculum B at G-town. You discussed certain aspects of it on the 1st page of this thread, but if you don't mind explaining further: what the heck is this and how does it differ from Curriculum A? (is there even a Curriculum A?). Does everyone need to choose which path to take or is A the default? Are the first year courses the same for everyone? Thanks.
From GULC: http://www.law.georgetown.edu/curriculu ... culumB.pdf

Basically 1/4 of 1L's take B and 3/4 of 1L's take A. From what I've been told if you want B you get it as the amount of seats available is often roughly equal to the demand. It's basically all the same 1L classes but with a slight twist more towards theory.

All it is are slightly different courses for your first year, A and B really aren't incredibly different but if you enjoy a more theoretical approach or whatever then you might prefer B.

johndhi

Bronze

Post by johndhi » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:35 pm

Looks like you got this figured out, but the one I was talking about is here:
http://www.apartmentguide.com/apartment ... eet/15698/

and the law school and most everything you likely want is located in NW - the other areas can get a little stabby :lol:

johndhi

Bronze

Post by johndhi » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:51 pm

Lawquacious wrote:This is the first time I've ever heard of Curriculum B at G-town. You discussed certain aspects of it on the 1st page of this thread, but if you don't mind explaining further: what the heck is this and how does it differ from Curriculum A? (is there even a Curriculum A?). Does everyone need to choose which path to take or is A the default? Are the first year courses the same for everyone? Thanks.
This was also answered quite well but I'll try to elaborate a little more. There are five sections including the part-time/night program (and ignoring the LLMs), so we're the one section of five that follows curriculum B rather than (you guessed it) curriculum A. Curriculum A is adopted from the standard, country-wide law school curriculum used by top law schools and includes legal research and writing and a slough of traditional doctrinal courses including contracts, torts, civil procedure and constitutional law. Curriculum B was created in the 80s somewhat as a reaction to fact that law school was being taught in the same way for so long, seemingly out of tradition. In harmony with the revolutionary idea of early 20th century american jurisprudence that a formal understanding of the law based in traditional English law was an unreasonable way to decide cases, a group of GULC professors decided to turn away from the law school curriculum created 120 years prior. That said, the program is crafted with the main goal of getting us jobs and not making us look like rebellious nincompoops, so Curriculum B really is not that different from Curriculum A. One jaded way to describe it is by saying they renamed the classes, combined some of them, and put more policy questions into the exams. It shines a kinder light on the program to say it takes a wider view than the traditional curriculum, and more thoroughly considers how and why not only the present laws were developed, but how and why the arguments for and against the laws we have were developed. It would be nice if some of this were up on GULC's website, but in the end it's sort of a moot point, since I don't think many 1Ls know much about the traditional curriculum to begin with, and even I really have no point of comparison. Maybe it's worth using ratemyprofessor to compare the programs.
kmcdona1 wrote: Thanks for taking questions! Did you attend an admitted students weekend? Did you find it helpful / would you recommend it?
Interesting question - I hadn't really thought about this. I did not attend the admitted students weekend at the school, but I did visit it prior to committing. I thought it was helpful to take a look at my different options - I realized I didn't think I could do Cornell and probably not the New York schools, but that Philly and DC seemed more preferable to me. That said, you have to balance prestige and $ with those sort of gut feelings you get about the place.

One GULC event I really enjoyed was the San Francisco admitted students event. A few alumni lawyers and judges invited a bunch of admitted students to one of their homes to eat good food and mingle with people who knew the school. I thought that was a fun and informative event, although it can get a little sickening discussing where you went to undergrad, what you got on the LSAT, and how you're just at this event for the food, with the other prospective students.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Marionberry

Silver

Post by Marionberry » Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:11 pm

To piggyback of the earlier question (I didn't know that you were in Curriculum B) what would you consider the pros and cons of doing B? It definitely sounds interesting, but are there any practical differences, such as opportunities for certain internships, nature of exams/course work, that it offers? Any considerable disadvantages to doing it?

johndhi

Bronze

Post by johndhi » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:48 pm

Marionberry wrote:To piggyback of the earlier question (I didn't know that you were in Curriculum B) what would you consider the pros and cons of doing B? It definitely sounds interesting, but are there any practical differences, such as opportunities for certain internships, nature of exams/course work, that it offers? Any considerable disadvantages to doing it?
I think some of this was covered in my first page of answers, but I'll try to do a quick job of answering here. I don't believe any differences are built into the program - that means no different formal internship, pro bono, or whatever, opportunities. Historically curriculum B people tend to do more volunteering and tend to be interested in public interest careers. They also tend to be politically charged - maybe to the left, maybe to the right. Usually to the left. As mentioned earlier, the exams, I think, have a higher incidence of "policy questions," in other words, question that ask more about the reasons behind doctrine than what the doctrine is (rather than the law says you have to drive reasonably, provide reasoning why the law should say that. if you want to go further, criticize the assumptions/biases of the point of view you adopted to explain your reasoning).

Disadvantages (to some these aren't disadvantages): more reading, a tougher time matching your course materials with commercial supplements (outlines, treatises, etc.), learning less doctrine (although from what I've heard, no one learns THAT much doctrine 1L and rather saves this process for bar exam studying).

utilityname

New

2012: GULC 1L taking questions

Post by utilityname » Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:05 am

1L, Section 3/Curriculum B, ED applicant, 3yr w/e

Taking questions. Thought I would revive this thread instead of starting a new one.

TLS (and threads like this) played a HUGE role in my application cycle, so I wanted to return the favor. Feel free to PM if you have specific/anonymous questions.

wert3813

Silver

Re: 2012: GULC 1L taking questions

Post by wert3813 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:40 pm

Last edited by wert3813 on Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

utilityname

New

Post by utilityname » Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:52 pm

wert3813 wrote:
utilityname wrote:1L, Section 3/Curriculum B, ED applicant, 3yr w/e

Taking questions. Thought I would revive this thread instead of starting a new one.

TLS (and threads like this) played a HUGE role in my application cycle, so I wanted to return the favor. Feel free to PM if you have specific/anonymous questions.
Do you or any GULC students on here know anyone who is doing a joint JD/MA in SS? If so--well I could write out a bunch of questions but just assume I want your opinion on just about everything dealing with the program. Particularly job prospects.
Only met one person in this program. They are few and far between (anecdotally). All I know is that you have to apply to both at the beginning and you have to do SS first. I would say reach out to the program director or whomever you can find on the info page. People are willing to talk. Sorry I don't have any more info.

bedefan

Bronze

Post by bedefan » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:08 pm

Anybody by chance know anything about Prof Levitin? He's visiting at my LS this spring and I'm trying to decide if I want to take his class. Thanks.

evoluna

New

Post by evoluna » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:10 pm

johndhi wrote:Back at home after my first semester at Georgetown Law. It was a wild ride, but somehow it only took one day of living with my parents for me to fall back into my old habits of mulling about the house doing nothing and drinking too much with my friends. Maybe this will help me get back on track!

Any question is welcome. FYI I'm in GULC's "curriculum B"
1. I visited the school and noticed that the surrounding areas don't exactly give off the warm, lively feelings that I expected when I mistakenly thought GULC was actually in Gtown. Does this affect student life to any significant extent? As in, do people get easily depressed from the combination of studying all the time and the atmosphere in the surrounding areas of GULC?

2. I also did notice that, once you walk through the overpass over to the chinatown area, things are much livelier. Do Gtown law students frequent this area? I saw a lot of restaurants, bars, etc. Do restaurants from this area deliver to Gtown law?

3. Do you know how much living in the dorms (Gerwiz center, is it?) costs, when calculated on a per-month basis?

4. What do GULC students usually eat on campus? What food options do you have on campus? Is there a market nearby?

zylaxice

New

Post by zylaxice » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:34 pm

evoluna wrote: 1. I visited the school and noticed that the surrounding areas don't exactly give off the warm, lively feelings that I expected when I mistakenly thought GULC was actually in Gtown. Does this affect student life to any significant extent? As in, do people get easily depressed from the combination of studying all the time and the atmosphere in the surrounding areas of GULC?

2. I also did notice that, once you walk through the overpass over to the chinatown area, things are much livelier. Do Gtown law students frequent this area? I saw a lot of restaurants, bars, etc. Do restaurants from this area deliver to Gtown law?

3. Do you know how much living in the dorms (Gerwiz center, is it?) costs, when calculated on a per-month basis?

4. What do GULC students usually eat on campus? What food options do you have on campus? Is there a market nearby?
Hope you're okay with a different 1L answering these.

1. We don't have the insulated Disney-esque feel that main campus does, but I don't think the law center is in such a dreary area. You're right in the midst of Capitol Hill, for better or worse. In any case, I can't recall ever feeling or talking to another student who felt depressed about the area, but it's D.C., so you could easily metro to any other part of the city (or out of the city via Union Station) if you wanted to get away.

2. Yes, Chinatown is full of bars and some decent restaurants (notably, not any decent Chinese food), and 4 blocks away. It's probably the most common meeting place other than Kelly's or Billy Goat (the two crappy bars that are literally feet from campus). Since it's all of 4 blocks away, any restaurant there that delivers will definitely cover the law center. You're good from restaurants much further away than that for delivery.

3) Gewirz rates can be found HERE, divide by 4ish for monthly prices.

4) On campus there's a coffee bar, Subway, and the market downstairs which has pizza, to-go sushi, and various other hot food. It's fine if you have 20 minutes between classes to grab lunch, but it's a cafeteria, don't get your hopes up. Plenty of places to eat during the day including Union Station and the rows of food trucks which are always out at lunchtime. If "market" means grocery store there's a Safeway a 10 minute walk away, Harris Teeter one metro stop up at NoMa, and a Whole Foods or Trader Joes a few metro stops the other direction. If you mean actual market, Eastern Market is awesome on the weekends.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

evoluna

New

Post by evoluna » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:22 pm

very helpful, thank you!

jess

Post by jess » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:11 am

Last edited by jess on Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

jess

Post by jess » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:17 am

ck3

Bronze

Post by ck3 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:15 pm

I know that Georgetown is known for government placement and my goal is a federal government agency. However, is most of the government placement due to people who already have connections in federal government coming to GULC and then being placed thru their connections after graduation. Would Georgetown with good grades give me an edge in placing in a federal agency over a school like Michigan or a non-T14 like GW. I have not yet been accepted at Georgetown but there is still hope. However, I do have an acceptance at George Washington and I am wondering if the ability to place a student with good grades is remarkably different between these 2 schools. Thanks to all who are answering these questions.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jess

Post by jess » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:12 pm

bsf2344

New

Post by bsf2344 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:30 am

Hello, thank you for taking questions.

1. Some law schools allow the JD students to take a few classes in the business school and have those classes count as electives for the law school. Does Georgetown allow this? If so, how many credits is one allowed to take?

2. I tried to look online but I couldn't find an answer for this... Are there many law classes offered that focus on business?

3. Do you know anyone that upon graduation elected to go into management consulting (McKinsey, BCG, Bain specifically)? If so, what was the on campus recruiting like?

Thanks again.

New

Post by 987654321 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:37 am

bsf2344 wrote:Hello, thank you for taking questions.

1. Some law schools allow the JD students to take a few classes in the business school and have those classes count as electives for the law school. Does Georgetown allow this? If so, how many credits is one allowed to take?

2. I tried to look online but I couldn't find an answer for this... Are there many law classes offered that focus on business?

3. Do you know anyone that upon graduation elected to go into management consulting (McKinsey, BCG, Bain specifically)? If so, what was the on campus recruiting like?

Thanks again.
Dude, just go to business school. Take the GMAT at the very least. OCI by MBB is almost non existent. The number of people who go into management consultant is very very very low, and it does not happen every year. The MBA program at Georgetown is not a good bet (you can look at the employer list .. nothing prestigious there)

Georgetown lets you take 6-8 credits at the Business School, but because those classes are filled, you don't have too much leeway in picking classes of your choice. There are a good number of finance / tax / business law related classes.

Feel free to let me know if you have more questions.

DiniMae

Silver

Post by DiniMae » Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:14 pm

utilityname wrote:1L, Section 3/Curriculum B, ED applicant, 3yr w/e

Now that you're preparing to graduate (if my mental math is right), what was the biggest advantage/disadvantage of Section 3 during the course of your studies later in 2L and 3L?

How did OCI go? Or other job-hunting? (Not just you, but other S3 students)

Anyone in Section 3 do things like LR or have COA lined up?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”