Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Samark45

New

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Post by Samark45 » Tue May 21, 2019 5:06 pm

Goldie wrote:
hlsboi2020 wrote:
april_ludgate wrote:
hlsboi2020 wrote:
Calibrazy wrote:
pi.radians wrote:
hlsboi2020 wrote:Anyone care to kick off speculation about when upper level grades will start being released? A few days before graduation, I take it?
I'll bite. Last year, grades were released on 5/21 and the year before, on 5/22. Both of those were Mondays (and 5/22 was probably because grades would not be released on a Sunday). Both times, grades were released between 1 and 2 pm. Grades were officially due 5/19 this year (second hand). This means the registrar has had two days to process those submitted grades.

If I had to guess, all available grades will be released sometime today or tomorrow in the early afternoon. Probably today. If a professor of yours has not submitted grades yet, you'll get them as soon as they are available. :-)
Do 1Ls get their elective grade when they are released to other upper level students?
Thanks to pi.radians for that info!

To answer this question, I believe it depends on the professor. Some 1L elective grades will be released, but if profs are running behind, they are able to grade 3Ls and submit those grades, and then release non-3L grades later (the main rush/priority is getting 3L grades out before graduation. No such rush for 1Ls/2Ls)
How would that work in curved classes though?
The registrar, etc., don't make the process for maneuvering this issue public, so we don't really know.
I don't know the "how" either, but it certainly does happen. As a 2L, I was in a couple classes with 3Ls, and one of the professors waited until a couple weeks after graduation to grade the 2L exams.
Doesn't this mean it's a lie (or at least seriously misleading) for HLS to claim that grading is done blindly (especially in doctrinal classes)? We may not know the exact mechanics, but we can be fairly certain that there's simply no way to maintain a truly blind system and do this at the same time -- the two aren't mutually compatible. (For example, say a medium-sized Evidence class has only 4-5 3Ls...)

hlsboi2020

New

Post by hlsboi2020 » Tue May 21, 2019 5:27 pm

Samark45 wrote:
Doesn't this mean it's a lie (or at least seriously misleading) for HLS to claim that grading is done blindly (especially in doctrinal classes)? We may not know the exact mechanics, but we can be fairly certain that there's simply no way to maintain a truly blind system and do this at the same time -- the two aren't mutually compatible. (For example, say a medium-sized Evidence class has only 4-5 3Ls...)
I mean, I suppose, but even in your scenario the professor doesn't know which exam corresponds to the 4-5 3Ls, so I think that this system doesn't really pose the risks that would accompany non-blind grading. Also, professors probably don't fully know who is in which year anyway.

The more significant question might be whether one of the two grading groups (3Ls vs 1+2Ls) benefits from this system. But, there's nothing to be done about it, and it's probably not a big deal in the end.

Lolstudent

New

Post by Lolstudent » Tue May 21, 2019 7:02 pm

I'd like my lps and ps now please.

Dcc617

Gold

Post by Dcc617 » Tue May 21, 2019 7:59 pm

pi.radians wrote:
hlsboi2020 wrote:Anyone care to kick off speculation about when upper level grades will start being released? A few days before graduation, I take it?
I'll bite. Last year, grades were released on 5/21 and the year before, on 5/22. Both of those were Mondays (and 5/22 was probably because grades would not be released on a Sunday). Both times, grades were released between 1 and 2 pm. Grades were officially due 5/19 this year (second hand). This means the registrar has had two days to process those submitted grades.

If I had to guess, all available grades will be released sometime today or tomorrow in the early afternoon. Probably today. If a professor of yours has not submitted grades yet, you'll get them as soon as they are available. :-)
Commencement was on like the 25th last year. This year it's on the 30th. I wouldn't look for grades sooner than Friday.

hlsboi2020

New

Post by hlsboi2020 » Wed May 22, 2019 6:57 am

Dcc617 wrote:
pi.radians wrote:

Commencement was on like the 25th last year. This year it's on the 30th. I wouldn't look for grades sooner than Friday.
Yeahhhh that makes sense. And exams ended May 4 last year, versus May 10 this year.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cannonballer

Bronze

Post by cannonballer » Wed May 22, 2019 9:29 am

hlsboi2020 wrote:
Dcc617 wrote:
pi.radians wrote:

Yeahhhh that makes sense. And exams ended May 4 last year, versus May 10 this year.
Only 3L/graduating student grades were due on the 19th. FWIW I know someone whose seminar paper deadline isn’t until the 28th (3Ls/LLMs had an earlier deadline), so I wouldn’t expect all grades by Friday. That seems reasonable for curved classes though.

UpstairsNapkin

New

Post by UpstairsNapkin » Thu May 23, 2019 2:09 pm

Latin honors are out,

4.00 was above magna cut-off (not super additive because we knew that in most years the cut-off was between 3.93-3.96, but it at least shows there hasn't been significant grade inflation).

Summa was above 4.69. Since it is presumably generally under 4.75 (since multiple people never get it) it seems likely that you have to be very, very close to the actual GPA cut-off to receive it.

prisonerofazkaban1

New

Post by prisonerofazkaban1 » Thu May 23, 2019 3:51 pm

I didn't get magna with around a 3.93, for what it's worth. Assuming HLS still does the "average of each year's GPA" method, because my actual GPA (by credits) is just over 4.0. Annoying, but such is life.

Calibrazy

New

Post by Calibrazy » Thu May 23, 2019 5:26 pm

Anyone make cum laude with a low 3.6X?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

throwaway678243

New

Post by throwaway678243 » Fri May 24, 2019 3:58 pm

I apologize in advance if this question is obnoxious. I'm sort of embarrassed and don't know how to ask professors of OPIA.

Anyway, it seems like good grades are only really important for clerking or going to selective firms/government honors programs. I'm committed to doing public interest work, preferably international human rights, and then academia. I'm not interested in clerking or working for the government in any capacity. So, do grades matter much?

I ask because I'm a rising 3L with about a ~4.0avg (4DS/9H/5P). I'm trying to make the cutoff for magna, but I'm wondering if beyond that it's worth the extra stress of gunning. Second, I don't really know what opportunities are available/doors are opened with good grades from HLS—how can I leverage these?

I know grades will have some impact on academia hiring (though surpassed in importance by publications), and also on Skadden fellowships (about which I know little). In terms of international NGOs, it seems doubtful the UN or international courts, for instance, would be distinguishing between median and high grades on an HLS transcript. Is this mistaken? I don't know much about domestic NGOs (e.g., ACLU, HRW), but I'd guess they see more HLS transcripts and therefore pay more attention to grades. Anyone have a sense of this?

eck456

Bronze

Post by eck456 » Fri May 24, 2019 10:51 pm

:twisted:
throwaway678243 wrote:I apologize in advance if this question is obnoxious. I'm sort of embarrassed and don't know how to ask professors of OPIA.

Anyway, it seems like good grades are only really important for clerking or going to selective firms/government honors programs. I'm committed to doing public interest work, preferably international human rights, and then academia. I'm not interested in clerking or working for the government in any capacity. So, do grades matter much?

I ask because I'm a rising 3L with about a ~4.0avg (4DS/9H/5P). I'm trying to make the cutoff for magna, but I'm wondering if beyond that it's worth the extra stress of gunning. Second, I don't really know what opportunities are available/doors are opened with good grades from HLS—how can I leverage these?

I know grades will have some impact on academia hiring (though surpassed in importance by publications), and also on Skadden fellowships (about which I know little). In terms of international NGOs, it seems doubtful the UN or international courts, for instance, would be distinguishing between median and high grades on an HLS transcript. Is this mistaken? I don't know much about domestic NGOs (e.g., ACLU, HRW), but I'd guess they see more HLS transcripts and therefore pay more attention to grades. Anyone have a sense of this?
Yeah I mean in general the UN will be confused as to why you’re the only applicant who did a law degree as a graduate degree, and doesn’t care about the way HLS does their grades in any way, shape or form. Depending on the department, they might want to see a “related” masters, but in general if you’re serious about IGO work you should focus on doing well in clinics, getting good recs from connected professors, and your summer internships / during-semester externships. P/H is not going to be the focus of any interview you get or a disqualifier

Mercat

New

Post by Mercat » Sun May 26, 2019 11:45 pm

I have a fairly specific situation. An opportunity has come up for me to do a 1-year MA degree, with decent funding, in a foreign country. This degree would be in a region that I would ultimately wish to work in to some degree. I would really like to do this, but I am about to matriculate at HLS. So my question: is it possible to take a year off and do a MA degree after 1L, then come back to HLS for 2L and 3L? Would this totally ruin OCI chances, even if it were theoretically possible? Thank you.

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Mon May 27, 2019 11:54 am

Mercat wrote:I have a fairly specific situation. An opportunity has come up for me to do a 1-year MA degree, with decent funding, in a foreign country. This degree would be in a region that I would ultimately wish to work in to some degree. I would really like to do this, but I am about to matriculate at HLS. So my question: is it possible to take a year off and do a MA degree after 1L, then come back to HLS for 2L and 3L? Would this totally ruin OCI chances, even if it were theoretically possible? Thank you.
Why not defer your HLS matriculation for a year to do the MA? Why do you want to do 1L, then the MA, then 2L/3L?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Igloo2022

New

Post by Igloo2022 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:55 pm

When do we find out about which textbooks to purchase? Are there any recommended websites for buying used books? If I buy used or rent, might I be able to buy all 1L books for like $800? Also, should I plan on getting a Quimbee substription?

Calibrazy

New

Post by Calibrazy » Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:06 am

Igloo2022 wrote:When do we find out about which textbooks to purchase? Are there any recommended websites for buying used books? If I buy used or rent, might I be able to buy all 1L books for like $800? Also, should I plan on getting a Quimbee substription?
You’ll find out books when you get your section, so august. Honesty too lazy to know about websites (just rented everything front the coop) but I doubt it’d be below $800 unless you buy from past students (this is a good way to get books; join the old fb group (c/o 2021).

A little too early to worry about quimbee, but I would say the benefit is marginal in many courses. In my experience, Quimbee is not that great since what’s generally important in cases is the prof’s view on the reasoning; as you can imagine, Quimbee often focuses on different aspects of the reasoning than your prof. So while it could be useful if you can’t finish your reading one night and don’t want to absolutely bomb a cold call (although it’ll still be rough for the previously mentioned reason), Quimbee generally won’t help you do well in my experience.

Personally, it was useful in my contracts class where the rules were more arguably important than the reasoning, and it was semi useful in property since the cases assigned were usually pretty straightforward and there were a lot of cases/material some nights. Quimbee was neutral to negative (bad for civ pro, leg reg, torts) otherwise

cannonballer

Bronze

Post by cannonballer » Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:11 pm

Igloo2022 wrote:When do we find out about which textbooks to purchase? Are there any recommended websites for buying used books? If I buy used or rent, might I be able to buy all 1L books for like $800? Also, should I plan on getting a Quimbee substription?
Once you get your section the Coop should have your book list. I definitely recommend checking Amazon for rental prices, I’ve gotten $20 rentals when the Coop charged way, way more. You can also get good deals buying from other students who list on hlsintel/toodope. Personally, I never used a Quimbee subscription.

april_ludgate

Bronze

Post by april_ludgate » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:22 pm

Are there any firms I am locked out of at 1 DS/6 H/3 P? Please don't flame me if this is a dumb question i know nothing about firms

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

The Lsat Airbender

Gold

Post by The Lsat Airbender » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:54 pm

april_ludgate wrote:Are there any firms I am locked out of at 1 DS/6 H/3 P? Please don't flame me if this is a dumb question i know nothing about firms
That's almost magna. You're not "locked out" anywhere. Maybe slightly on the weak side for ultra-grade-sensitive firms like WLRK, but not blackballed.

Calibrazy

New

Post by Calibrazy » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:30 pm

april_ludgate wrote:Are there any firms I am locked out of at 1 DS/6 H/3 P? Please don't flame me if this is a dumb question i know nothing about firms
You need to get your hustle on if you want biglaw, EIP isn’t certain with those stats

april_ludgate

Bronze

Post by april_ludgate » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:43 pm

The Lsat Airbender wrote:
That's almost magna. You're not "locked out" anywhere. Maybe slightly on the weak side for ultra-grade-sensitive firms like WLRK, but not blackballed.
Thank you!

april_ludgate

Bronze

Post by april_ludgate » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:49 pm

Calibrazy wrote:
You need to get your hustle on if you want biglaw, EIP isn’t certain with those stats
I know you’re joking but honestly only barely that’s how little I understand EIP

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Calibrazy

New

Post by Calibrazy » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:06 pm

april_ludgate wrote:
Calibrazy wrote:
I know you’re joking but honestly only barely that’s how little I understand EIP
Sorry, just had to joke for the grades flex. Idk that much about EIP also, but you are probably above most firms grade floors according to my 3L sources. I've also heard that grades don't lead to offers for most firms though, and it's much more fit based at HLS (aside from Sullivan & Cromwell which is supposedly and auto-offer at 6H).

tcav223

New

Post by tcav223 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:46 pm

Calibrazy wrote:Anyone make cum laude with a low 3.6X?
bumping, any thoughts on cum laude cutoff?

Mercat

New

Post by Mercat » Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:18 pm

QContinuum wrote:
Mercat wrote:I have a fairly specific situation. An opportunity has come up for me to do a 1-year MA degree, with decent funding, in a foreign country. This degree would be in a region that I would ultimately wish to work in to some degree. I would really like to do this, but I am about to matriculate at HLS. So my question: is it possible to take a year off and do a MA degree after 1L, then come back to HLS for 2L and 3L? Would this totally ruin OCI chances, even if it were theoretically possible? Thank you.
Why not defer your HLS matriculation for a year to do the MA? Why do you want to do 1L, then the MA, then 2L/3L?
Thanks for the response! It's because I am not actually accepted into the MA right now (but know for certain that I would be if I applied, for various reasons). I would theoretically be applying next spring for the 20-21 school year. I realize that I may change my mind about awkwardly dividing up my law school education, but, if I did swing that way, would that make me a pariah in the eyes of biglaw, clerkships, etc?

Igloo2022

New

Post by Igloo2022 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:37 pm

Does anyone have experience with taking classes in the Faculty of Arts and Sciences? Specifically, I would like to take advantage of those 12 cross-registration credits by taking language courses at the undergraduate level. Is this a difficult process?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”