The University of Alabama School of Law Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
TLS_user

New

The University of Alabama School of Law

Post by TLS_user » Sat Oct 08, 2005 3:10 pm

Law School Programs >> Alabama Law Schools

law.ua.edu
The University of Alabama School of Law is located in Tuscaloosa, AL. It appears on the Top Law Schools Rankings page.

Please "post a reply" and add any comments you have about The University of Alabama School of Law. Many generations of prospective law students will benefit by the information you share.

orangeinoregon

New

Overlooked Gem

Post by orangeinoregon » Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:05 am

I will proudly attend The University of Alabama School of Law, beginning as a 1L this fall. I admit that I wasn't certain about the school when I initially applied, and would not have done so without the application fee waiver that they offered me. I'm quite pleased that I did submit my application. Their scholarship plan was, without discussing specifics, quite suitable. They flew me in for an admitted students' open house (from Oregon), and my interest in the school grew considerably. They are ranked highly - the latest USN&WR rankings places them at 37 (up from 43rd) - and their interest in recruiting top students is obvious. The staff, including professors, admissions folks and the dean, were all incredibly friendly. The law school itself wasn't particular amazing, but it should be a solid place to spend the bulk of my next three years. Tuscaloosa is an alright city (based on my very limited experience), with an ideal location (relatively close to Nashville, Atlanta and many other smaller cities), and very low living costs.

If anyone else is thinking about or committed to attending Alabama, contact me.

jennylynn

Bronze

Re: The University of Alabama School of Law

Post by jennylynn » Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:53 pm

I am thinking about signing up for a campus tour next week. Has anybody been to Bama? Know any specific pros/cons (no Alabama jokes, please lol)?

RTR10

Bronze

Post by RTR10 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:11 pm

I'm a 2L. What would you like to know?

bonnieblue

Bronze

Post by bonnieblue » Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:13 pm

are the people at the law school similar to those in UG?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

RTR10

Bronze

Post by RTR10 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:20 pm

It's about half or so out-of-state, and even more non-UA grads. A good bit of the law students are married and have post graduate degrees. Of course we act like UGs on game days, but other than that, we study when we need to, and have fun when we can. I would say that the overall atmosphere of the law school (and the people here) is much different than the UG campus.

jennylynn

Bronze

Post by jennylynn » Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:35 pm

What made you choose Bama? I guess I'm asking what made Bama stand out to you. And would you recommend a campus visit?

RTR10

Bronze

Post by RTR10 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:39 pm

$$ (full scholarship), the clinical programs, the faculty, the atmosphere, football, the rankings moving up, the people, etc.

I'd recommend a campus visit, but wait until classes are back in session. You can look at the calendar at law.ua.edu/students.

dk5151

New

Post by dk5151 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:39 pm

Are you planning on practicing in Alabama/the southeast? If not, what are the prospects like for other parts of the country? Where do most grads end up? Atlanta?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

RTR10

Bronze

Post by RTR10 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:36 pm

I'm not planning on practicing at a firm. I'm planning on working at a hospital.

Atlanta, Birmingham, Nashville, New Orleans, Philly, Charlotte, some NYC, some LA, some Chicago.

zhensley

New

Post by zhensley » Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:59 pm

I'm a 1L there now.

I chose it for several reasons. My wife, kids, and I had moved away for graduate school and I decided that I didn't want to be that far away from family and friends in Birmingham. It really was a choice between Cumberland in B'ham or Bama. I grew up a Bama fan and wanted to go here. It's working its way up the rankings. Scholarship money was nice as well. I wanted to stay in Bama (or at least the Southeast) when I was done. I came for one of the open house student days in the Spring and even though I had already made up my mind to attend, it totally blew me away. Tom Ksobiech was really great, but Tom's now in career services instead of admissions. I got to meet some of the alumni it was really great.

We also have some great teachers. Three of my five teachers are new this year and they are really great; you can tell that Dean Randall is really trying to bring in some great professors.

If you do end up coming, just pray that you get Marsh for Contracts. He is worth the price of admission alone. He is hilarious.

TuNeCedeMalis

New

Post by TuNeCedeMalis » Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:51 pm

Bump cause I just committed. Anyone?

summertc

New

Post by summertc » Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:00 am

I'll see you in 7 1/2 weeks then!

I'm in section 3... you?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

csteele12

New

Post by csteele12 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:39 pm

RTR10 wrote:I'm not planning on practicing at a firm. I'm planning on working at a hospital.

Atlanta, Birmingham, Nashville, New Orleans, Philly, Charlotte, some NYC, some LA, some Chicago.
Good opportunities for summer placement down the road at UAB. Great research hospital.

tarheel87

Bronze

Post by tarheel87 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:41 pm

nevermind
Last edited by tarheel87 on Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

isaiah6v8

Bronze

Post by isaiah6v8 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:03 pm

bump, I just got my acceptance from Bama, but I am curious about the atmosphere in Tuscaloosa and the school. I have never visited though, I may go in January for the admitted students day. I have a wife and a small daughter, so I am not as concerned about the bars and stuff as I am about the way a family fits in in Tuscaloosa.

thickfreakness

Silver

Post by thickfreakness » Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:06 pm

isaiah6v8 wrote:bump, I just got my acceptance from Bama, but I am curious about the atmosphere in Tuscaloosa and the school. I have never visited though, I may go in January for the admitted students day. I have a wife and a small daughter, so I am not as concerned about the bars and stuff as I am about the way a family fits in in Tuscaloosa.

COL is very low there. You need to live across the river in the Northport area for the better schools if you've got a child. There's not a ton of stuff to do, but there's enough.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

isaiah6v8

Bronze

Post by isaiah6v8 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:58 am

anybody else considering BAMA? Anyone going to the admitted students day on the 22nd?

brocklanders12

New

Post by brocklanders12 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:01 am

I am applying because of a fee waiver. I like the low cost and I love big time college football. I just don't think I would enjoy the deep South or working/living in any of the Alabama cities. If I am accepted I will try and visit and check it out.

lawschooliseasy

Bronze

Post by lawschooliseasy » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:16 am

I'm bumping an old thread to ask if anyone else is still listed as "application incomplete, items outstanding." I submitted my application at the start of January.

gymboree

Silver

Post by gymboree » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:20 am

lawschooliseasy wrote:I'm bumping an old thread to ask if anyone else is still listed as "application incomplete, items outstanding." I submitted my application at the start of January.
Call them up! They're extremely friendly and helpful. If you're missing items they'll help you sort it out.

Good luck!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

lawschooliseasy

Bronze

Post by lawschooliseasy » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:57 am

I just called. You guys aren't kidding, they're incredibly nice there. For anybody else that's curious they said that they are still processing applications, so it'll take awhile to move from incomplete. Furthermore, if something is actually incomplete, it will indicate what's outstanding on the status checker (ie incomplete, UMichigan Transcript Not Received).

isaiah6v8

Bronze

Post by isaiah6v8 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:47 pm

lawschooliseasy wrote:I just called. You guys aren't kidding, they're incredibly nice there. For anybody else that's curious they said that they are still processing applications, so it'll take awhile to move from incomplete. Furthermore, if something is actually incomplete, it will indicate what's outstanding on the status checker (ie incomplete, UMichigan Transcript Not Received).
far and away the nicest staff I have dealt with yet. And if they accept you, they make it very clear that they WANT you there!

01wannabe

New

Post by 01wannabe » Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:36 pm

Hey guys, how long did it take you to get your mybama status checker? I applied on he 8th/9th and I still haven't heard from them about the status checker. Any advice?

scionb4

Silver

Post by scionb4 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:39 pm

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”