UC Hastings- Christian Legal Society Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
jdrobin3

New

UC Hastings- Christian Legal Society

Post by jdrobin3 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:21 am

I am enrolled in a law and religion class at The University of Mississippi School of Law. We have a class presentation on CLS v Martinez. I would appreciate any feedback from current Hastings students about student life, homosexuals in the law school, other politically/morally oriented student groups, the political ideology of the administration, professors and students. Also, what has the fallout at Hastings been since the case was decided? Did CLS choose to continue its group as a private organization?

stonepeep

Bronze

Re: UC Hastings- Christian Legal Society

Post by stonepeep » Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:42 pm

CLS disbanded at Hastings long before the case got to the Supreme Court. I don't really know why they did (it was before I got here) but I'd imagine that it was because the students running it graduated and newer students didn't care about following the tenets of the national CLS organization. We have another Christian student group now, one which complies with the all-comers policy. I have never heard anything negative about that group.

Hastings' GLBT group, Outlaw, is very popular and has a ton of members. It's one of the more active student groups.

There hasn't been any fallout since CLS v. Martinez was decided. I don't think anyone on campus supported CLS's side in that case. We've had a few panels discussing the case and they've been pretty interesting. That's really been the only impact of the policy!

jdrobin3

New

Re: UC Hastings- Christian Legal Society

Post by jdrobin3 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:40 pm

Thanks for the response, do any other Hastings students care to comment?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”