Drexel - Earle Mack School of Law... Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
disciullo

New

Re: Drexel - Earle Mack School of Law...

Post by disciullo » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:48 pm

Greetings everyone and happy belated Thanksgiving. I must apologize for the delay in my postings. I had the opportunity to spend some time with my family over the holidays, so I thank everyone for their patience and understanding.

Drexel has indeed been generous with scholarships and we hope to continue to do so this coming year. As we enter the application cycle, the administration is in final deliberations for this year's scholarship amounts and next year's potential tuition. As soon as I hear back, I will keep everyone posted.

We don't have any cut-offs for scholarships as we take all aspects of the application into consideration. The academic profile is indeed very important because we want to make sure students have the ability to succeed through the rigors of law school. We also don't offer full-tuition scholarships. Last year, our highest/most prestigious scholarship was $30k (tuition was $33k). The committee did raise the scholarship renewal GPA to 2.95 for the coming years.

Again...thanks for your patience and please let me know how else I can help.

ehh2109

New

Post by ehh2109 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:29 pm

Does Drexel use yield protection as a factor in admissions decisions in any way? That is, are students with GPA or LSAT numbers significantly higher than Drexel's averages ever waitlisted or denied admission because of the low probability of them matriculating?

Thanks!

Seally

New

Post by Seally » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:16 pm

Nicholasnickynic wrote:Hey I just wanted to thank every one for being A-holes. Any one with real questions will not be able to ask them now.
What real questions ? Oh, these ones.

-Is your school a TTTTT ? (Not a typing mistake here)

-Why did you open a Law School when the market is flooded with even more Lawyers already ? Does that mean you don't care about your students ?

-Why can't you guys give us direct answers about student job prospects ? Are you afraid that 95% of the student base end up at Starbucks ?

We are ass holes, yes, but at least we are not dumb enough to fall for their trick, go ahead, apply to Drexel.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:20 pm

Seally wrote:
Nicholasnickynic wrote:Hey I just wanted to thank every one for being A-holes. Any one with real questions will not be able to ask them now.
What real questions ? Oh, these ones.

-Is your school a TTTTT ? (Not a typing mistake here)

-Why did you open a Law School when the market is flooded with even more Lawyers already ? Does that mean you don't care about your students ?

-Why can't you guys give us direct answers about student job prospects ? Are you afraid that 95% of the student base end up at Starbucks ?

We are ass holes, yes, but at least we are not dumb enough to fall for their trick, go ahead, apply to Drexel.
Banned for egregious trolling. And to put people on notice, I'll be dropping by this thread again, and I'll be bringing the hammer. Please be respectful.

MrAnon

Gold

Post by MrAnon » Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:59 pm

edubs003 wrote:
Total Litigator wrote:Let's have some respect people, seriously. I think questioning the admission statistics is a valid point, but don't be disrespectful when you do it. It's very nice of law school admissions staff to answer questions on a site like this.

And take your squabbles elsewhere so the thread can serve a constructive purpose.

And please don't comment on the appropriateness of my post, as I won't respond.
I agree, I've actually met this woman and she was very helpful.
So seek her out by email or phone. i'm sure she'll be more than happy to answer any and all questions.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mckeeper1

New

Post by mckeeper1 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:04 pm

In via phone call this morning with $15,000. Very nice call.

androstan

Gold

Post by androstan » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:26 pm

The employment stats are not misleading because they state how many students are reporting. When it's all listed together, it's called "a list of facts". A particular (adult, college educated) individual's use or MIS use of a list of facts is their own responsibility.

Tuition is what it is because that's how much it costs to pay professors and build/maintain facilities that attract students. If they paid profs less, those profs would go back to private practice or another school. If they shorted funding on facilities/programs, students would leave. It's called free market, supply/demand economics.

I agree that the availability of federally backed loans has driven tuition through the roof. They have made higher education accessible to persons with limited means. However, they have also lined the pockets of higher education businessmen/women with taxpayer money and saddled those same persons of limited means with a mortgage on their future. This is even further excacerbated by the merit aid system, which relieves the burden from those who can shoulder it best and transfers this burden to those already struggling.

I agree that counting anyone who is receiving money for doing something as "employed" is dishonest. Temporarily employed is a different category from permanently employed, and employed in a position that requires bar admission is different from a position that doesn't require bar admission. If this data were reported honestly I think a lot of the problems in the preceding paragraph would be lessened appreciably.

yoyowhatupyo

New

Post by yoyowhatupyo » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:06 pm

in with ~32k, which by the looks of LSN doesnt put me in amazing company. nevertheless, i will be taking them up on their travel reimbursement deal to ASW. anyone else get that & going? Drexel is a big question mark but for nearly-free tuition and an expenses-paid visit i'm willing to take a look around and ask some questions --- which are many of the same questions that others have asked here but have not really seemed interested in hearing answers to.

classix

New

Post by classix » Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:42 pm

androstan wrote:The employment stats are not misleading because they state how many students are reporting. When it's all listed together, it's called "a list of facts". A particular (adult, college educated) individual's use or MIS use of a list of facts is their own responsibility.

Tuition is what it is because that's how much it costs to pay professors and build/maintain facilities that attract students. If they paid profs less, those profs would go back to private practice or another school. If they shorted funding on facilities/programs, students would leave. It's called free market, supply/demand economics.

I agree that the availability of federally backed loans has driven tuition through the roof. They have made higher education accessible to persons with limited means. However, they have also lined the pockets of higher education businessmen/women with taxpayer money and saddled those same persons of limited means with a mortgage on their future. This is even further excacerbated by the merit aid system, which relieves the burden from those who can shoulder it best and transfers this burden to those already struggling.

I agree that counting anyone who is receiving money for doing something as "employed" is dishonest. Temporarily employed is a different category from permanently employed, and employed in a position that requires bar admission is different from a position that doesn't require bar admission. If this data were reported honestly I think a lot of the problems in the preceding paragraph would be lessened appreciably.
these are all great points, and very well said! thanks for posting this

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”