The University of Texas at Austin, School of Law Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
RATRATRAT

Bronze

Re: The University of Texas at Austin, School of Law

Post by RATRATRAT » Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:27 pm

chadstew55 wrote: So that everyone knows that I'm chill, I am drinking some cranberry pomegranate green tea right now and am sitting in this right now (LinkRemoved) *ahhhh* :)
You have a chair that lists for around $3k? Will your parents adopt me?

philemon

New

Post by philemon » Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:39 pm

Fair enough chad :) I envy your tea/chair combo as well. It appears that my mission to stop the prestige whores on TLS from trashing UT as a "TTT" for being a "regional school" in "backwater, USA" has taken some of my decency as collateral damage. My apologies :wink:

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:03 pm

philemon wrote:Fair enough chad :) I envy your tea/chair combo as well. It appears that my mission to stop the prestige whores on TLS from trashing UT as a "TTT" for being a "regional school" in "backwater, USA" has taken some of my decency as collateral damage. My apologies :wink:
UTTT! UTTT! UTTT! :wink:

I wasn't aware of anyone hating on UT on TLS. 99% recognize it's a very good school and almost untouchable if you want to practice in TX. Of UT, UCLA, USC and Vanderbilt, UT probably gets the most love around here. You hear very, very little about USC and Observationalist seems like the only one who throws out info about Vandy.

chadstew55

Bronze

Post by chadstew55 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:06 am

observationalist wrote: However, I do think schools know about the push we've made to get complete employment statistics out there this cycle and would expect there'll be more to talk about once they come out in February regarding comparisons.
Duke released its full employment stats like Vandy last year right? I don't know if other schools will really start releasing stats like that, not because they don't want to or are trying to hide something, but it would just be difficult. Duke and Vandy have small classes so I would guess it is easier for them to get 100% or close to 100% reporting. I don't think we can expect to see Georgetown, UT or schools with big classes releasing detailed employment info like that. I would be impressed if they did though.

ummm... I don't really have that chair... I'm sorry, I was dinking the tea though. that was a nice chair though right?? isn't that why everyone wants to do biglaw?

silver11

Bronze

Post by silver11 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:19 am

chadstew55 wrote:
observationalist wrote: However, I do think schools know about the push we've made to get complete employment statistics out there this cycle and would expect there'll be more to talk about once they come out in February regarding comparisons.
Duke released its full employment stats like Vandy last year right? I don't know if other schools will really start releasing stats like that, not because they don't want to or are trying to hide something, but it would just be difficult. Duke and Vandy have small classes so I would guess it is easier for them to get 100% or close to 100% reporting. I don't think we can expect to see Georgetown, UT or schools with big classes releasing detailed employment info like that. I would be impressed if they did though.

ummm... I don't really have that chair... I'm sorry, I was dinking the tea though. that was a nice chair though right?? isn't that why everyone wants to do biglaw?
lol

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

observationalist

Bronze

Post by observationalist » Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:22 pm

chadstew55 wrote:

For most schools this is already information they have. Lists of where everyone goes (firm, city, starting salary) is what each school's career services uses to derive all the information they historically would let you see (i.e. median private sector salary of 160K, or 99% employed at graduation). Some of this information is also reported to NALP, but not all of it. Last year there was some misinformation on the boards about a gpa cutoff at Vanderbilt for law firms (prompted by an incorrect school profile here, on TLS) and the school responded by sending out a list of where every graduate went to all prospective students. When applicants requested a similar list from Duke, they complied readily... the turnaround from both was fairly quick and I think a lot of prospectives appreciated the transparency and held both schools in high regard because of it. It's just a matter of going public with the information they've already gathered.

The bigger problem is getting all the schools to release data for 2L summer employment before next summer, which would require more haste on their part. But with the market changes, 2L employment prospects should be a far more important factor in choosing a school than where people used to find work when jobs were easier to get. And we may very well see the 15-17 ranked schools (UT/UCLA/Vandy) performing just as well or better than GULC, the program that has held the T14 anchor for a number of years now.

Grad_Student

Bronze

Post by Grad_Student » Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:01 am

Esc wrote:Chill out peeps, remember we're all Texas friendly here... :P
No we all aren't

Everyone who isn't from here can piss off.

silver11

Bronze

Post by silver11 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:43 am

We don't want you here...

Esc

Silver

Post by Esc » Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:12 pm

Last edited by Esc on Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

silver11

Bronze

Post by silver11 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:38 pm

Lol once you come though you'll be inducted and you won't want to leave.

Other25BeforeYou

Silver

Post by Other25BeforeYou » Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:59 pm

cc0800 wrote:I believe you should receive an email with a username and password that will allow you to log onto the freshlaw status checker. This won't be in the initial confirmation email, but in a second email that you should receive within a week of the first.
Hey, I got the first e-mail from UT two weeks ago and haven't received a status checker e-mail. Should I give them a call on Monday, or wait it out?

EDIT: Aw crap. I figured out a way to log on to the status checker even though they hadn't sent me the e-mail, and then it yelled at me for going in when it wasn't authorized.

silver11

Bronze

Post by silver11 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:59 am

Other25BeforeYou wrote:
cc0800 wrote:I believe you should receive an email with a username and password that will allow you to log onto the freshlaw status checker. This won't be in the initial confirmation email, but in a second email that you should receive within a week of the first.
Hey, I got the first e-mail from UT two weeks ago and haven't received a status checker e-mail. Should I give them a call on Monday, or wait it out?

EDIT: Aw crap. I figured out a way to log on to the status checker even though they hadn't sent me the e-mail, and then it yelled at me for going in when it wasn't authorized.
Auto-ding lol

Other25BeforeYou

Silver

Post by Other25BeforeYou » Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:20 pm

silver11 wrote:
Other25BeforeYou wrote:

Auto-ding lol
Dude, I hope not. I just thought maybe my e-mail had filtered out the Texas e-mail thinking it was spam, so I thought I'd give it a try.

Apparently I was wrong.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

silver11

Bronze

Post by silver11 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:52 am

I was just joking man they shouldn't do anything to you

Esc

Silver

Post by Esc » Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:42 am

Last edited by Esc on Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Other25BeforeYou

Silver

Post by Other25BeforeYou » Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:43 pm

Esc wrote:
Other25BeforeYou wrote:
silver11 wrote:
Other25BeforeYou wrote: Hey, I got the first e-mail from UT two weeks ago and haven't received a status checker e-mail. Should I give them a call on Monday, or wait it out?

Auto-ding lol
Dude, I hope not. I just thought maybe my e-mail had filtered out the Texas e-mail thinking it was spam, so I thought I'd give it a try.

Apparently I was wrong.
I was just walking down Dean Keaton Street by the Law School yesterday, and I heard this conversation from the admissions office.

"Other25? Oh yeah, that guy. WTF was he thinking trying to login early?"

"Dude, he sucks."

"Yeah, and whats with his 'tar? I hope that's not a self-portrait."

"HAW! Yeah! Butt-ugly! It's Cooley for him!"

I kid, of course. Your 'tar ain't bad, by the way :wink:
That conversation would be disturbing on so many levels, considering it'd mean I accidentally checked that I'm male on my application AND they'd be dissing Tom Waits. And who does that?

Esc

Silver

Post by Esc » Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:14 pm

Last edited by Esc on Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

stormgathering

New

Post by stormgathering » Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:56 pm

Out of curiosity, do any of you know what the cutoffs are for UT-Austin scholarships? I get the impression that UT is fairly kind to its in-staters, and a chance at cheap law school means that I am going to try my best to get in, and in nearly all certainty I will attend if I can.

I understand if you don't want to share your own numbers, of course, it's none of my business. But in another thread I saw someone mention a cutoff for out-of-staters at 167/3.8, and it seems as if these numbers might be available somewhere but I could not find them.

Thank you very much.

RATRATRAT

Bronze

Post by RATRATRAT » Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:49 am

What kind of scholarship are you talking?

stormgathering

New

Post by stormgathering » Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:30 am

Hello again, RATRATRAT.

Sorry I wasn't clear. Perhaps something like 1/4 to 1/2 of tuition? Which is 5000-10000/year for in-staters. Something to take the edge off law school costs, I guess, while my fiancee and I are BOTH in school for those 3 years (gulp).

One of their full rides would be ideal, obviously, but I assume those are very competitive and there are probably many more deserving people than I. So I'm more interested to know if they give out lower-level scholarships for any significant amount of money.

RATRATRAT

Bronze

Post by RATRATRAT » Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:55 pm

Just based on my personal experience & hearsay, I would imagine you're in for a pretty decent scholarship from UT. I believe the one person I know who got a full ride had #s around yours, so I wouldn't write off that possibility just yet.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

chadstew55

Bronze

Post by chadstew55 » Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:56 pm

yeah, it really depends on how you bargain I would guess. I know a guy with 171/3.9 tx resident who only got towns-hall (7000 a year) but he thought that was a good deal and didn't try to get them to match any other offers. I have a 170/3.9 and got the townes-hall. silver11 has 170/3.5 and got chancellors though (full tuition).

RATRATRAT

Bronze

Post by RATRATRAT » Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:23 pm

Did silver have to haggle for that? B/c that doesn't make a lot of sense if UT only considers #s as was suggested in that other thread . . .

doyleoil

Silver

Post by doyleoil » Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:27 pm

correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't silver URM? that could explain the numbers discrepancy

de5igual

Silver

Post by de5igual » Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:27 pm

Last edited by de5igual on Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”