The University of Texas at Austin, School of Law Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
shifty_eyed

Gold

Re: The University of Texas at Austin, School of Law

Post by shifty_eyed » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:58 am

Not sure if this is the best place for this question (not necessarily UT Law specific, but something UT students might be familiar with?), and I figured it's the safest place for a 0L to post it LOL. :)

If someone has strong ties to Dallas or Houston (born and raised in city and attended SMU/UH/Rice), would it be a hard sell to get an offer from a firm in the other city?

CyanIdes Of March

Silver

Post by CyanIdes Of March » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:20 pm

shifty_eyed wrote:Not sure if this is the best place for this question (not necessarily UT Law specific, but something UT students might be familiar with?), and I figured it's the safest place for a 0L to post it LOL. :)

If someone has strong ties to Dallas or Houston (born and raised in city and attended SMU/UH/Rice), would it be a hard sell to get an offer from a firm in the other city?
As in you go to UT Law and then get a job in Dallas or Houston? I'm an 0L well but I think UT commands a good portion of the legal market in Dallas and Houston.

nonprofit-prophet

Silver

Post by nonprofit-prophet » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:23 pm

shifty_eyed wrote:Not sure if this is the best place for this question (not necessarily UT Law specific, but something UT students might be familiar with?), and I figured it's the safest place for a 0L to post it LOL. :)

As a 1L, maybe. As a 2L, probably not.

shifty_eyed

Gold

Post by shifty_eyed » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:02 am

CyanIdes Of March wrote:

As in you go to UT Law and then get a job in Dallas or Houston? I'm an 0L well but I think UT commands a good portion of the legal market in Dallas and Houston.
Yeah, get a job in Dallas with only ties to Houston or vice versa.
nonprofit-prophet wrote: As a 1L, maybe. As a 2L, probably not.
Thanks! I imagine getting a summer job as a 1L is hard regardless lol.

de5igual

Silver

Post by de5igual » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:56 pm

shifty_eyed wrote:
CyanIdes Of March wrote:

Yeah, get a job in Dallas with only ties to Houston or vice versa.
nonprofit-prophet wrote: As a 1L, maybe. As a 2L, probably not.
Thanks! I imagine getting a summer job as a 1L is hard regardless lol.
anecdotally, it's harder for someone from Houston to get a job in Dallas than the reverse. The Dallas legal market is much smaller than the Houston one and tends to be a lot more parochial.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Rawlberto

Bronze

Post by Rawlberto » Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:57 am

f0bolous wrote:
scaredofdebt wrote:I am deciding between cornell sticker and UT 20k scholarship with out of state tuition.

i am from NYC though would be open to working in texas after school, however, i am worried about my complete and utter lack of ties prohibiting this from being possible. where would a yanke with no ties whatsoever need to land in his or her class in order to overcome a complete lack of ties and land a biglaw job in texas.
Your grades would have to be better than a comparable TX native in getting a Texas gig. If you for sure want TX biglaw, one way to overcome ties is to work in-state over your 1L year and join some organization with a decidedly Texas flavor (e.g., Oil & Gas society).

PM if you have any questions. FYI, I'm out of state, not LR, landed TX biglaw, and was sort of in your shoes 2 years ago.
Sorry to jump on this old post, but I am UT Student. I am out of state, no ties to TX, was wondering if you could impart some wisdom.

lookingin

Bronze

Post by lookingin » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:00 am

I've got a question -- do most students end up getting in-state tuition after the 1L? At this beginning of this thread, they were talking about residency issues, but that was back in 2008 or so. I just wanted to get more recent input :) Thanks!

nonprofit-prophet

Silver

Post by nonprofit-prophet » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:36 pm

lookingin wrote:I've got a question -- do most students end up getting in-state tuition after the 1L? At this beginning of this thread, they were talking about residency issues, but that was back in 2008 or so. I just wanted to get more recent input :) Thanks!
Not anymore.

lookingin

Bronze

Post by lookingin » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:04 pm

:( That's too bad. Is it next to impossible to get qualified for in-state residency now?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

shifty_eyed

Gold

Post by shifty_eyed » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:08 pm

lookingin wrote::( That's too bad. Is it next to impossible to get qualified for in-state residency now?
According to their website you have to have established a domicile in Texas for at least a year prior to matriculating.
(disclosure: 0L here)

de5igual

Silver

Post by de5igual » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:32 pm

Rawlberto wrote:
f0bolous wrote:
scaredofdebt wrote:I am deciding between cornell sticker and UT 20k scholarship with out of state tuition.

i am from NYC though would be open to working in texas after school, however, i am worried about my complete and utter lack of ties prohibiting this from being possible. where would a yanke with no ties whatsoever need to land in his or her class in order to overcome a complete lack of ties and land a biglaw job in texas.
Your grades would have to be better than a comparable TX native in getting a Texas gig. If you for sure want TX biglaw, one way to overcome ties is to work in-state over your 1L year and join some organization with a decidedly Texas flavor (e.g., Oil & Gas society).

PM if you have any questions. FYI, I'm out of state, not LR, landed TX biglaw, and was sort of in your shoes 2 years ago.
Sorry to jump on this old post, but I am UT Student. I am out of state, no ties to TX, was wondering if you could impart some wisdom.
sure...what do you want to know?

de5igual

Silver

Post by de5igual » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:34 pm

lookingin wrote::( That's too bad. Is it next to impossible to get qualified for in-state residency now?
you still can, but they closed the property loophole that allowed you to buy any land in texas. now, in order to qualify under that scheme, you have to reside at the property you purchased for 1 year. problem (at least for many/most students), though, is that buying a condo in austin isn't exactly cheap.

ksllaw

Bronze

Post by ksllaw » Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:06 am

Hello,

I am curious about the cost of living for attending UT-Austin?

And what are the demographics of the student body like there? Thanks very much!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

PrincetonLaw

Bronze

Post by PrincetonLaw » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:43 pm

1L thinking about taking Core Readings in Public Law w/Perry. Anybody have any suggestions or comments about either the course or prof?

Richie Tenenbaum

Gold

Post by Richie Tenenbaum » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:58 pm

PrincetonLaw wrote:1L thinking about taking Core Readings in Public Law w/Perry. Anybody have any suggestions or comments about either the course or prof?
I don't have much to say about the course or the prof, but my advice before deciding to take a class is to always 1) check the past grade distributions for that class and 2) check the teaching evaluations for the professors.

PrincetonLaw

Bronze

Post by PrincetonLaw » Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:10 pm

Anyone have any tips on Forbath (con law), Woolley (civ pro) or Blais (property). Is there a preferred supplement or anything any 2 or 3Ls can recommend?

helpplease

Bronze

Post by helpplease » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:44 pm

UH full ride vs UT sticker/low scholarship. Any current UT students who've made this decision? I need input from people with similar situations. Thank you!!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

eaper

Silver

Post by eaper » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:38 pm

helpplease wrote:UH full ride vs UT sticker/low scholarship. Any current UT students who've made this decision? I need input from people with similar situations. Thank you!!
Have you tried leveraging scholarships? UT usually won't do much for lower ranked schools, but it is odd that you got a full ride from UH and little or nothing from UT. I got a decent amount from UT and still didn't get a full ride from UH. Also, undergrad debt? Do you want to do PI or something like that? IP?

saulgoodman86

New

Post by saulgoodman86 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:51 pm

Anyone have Justin Driver for con law and have any advice? He's a visiting prof at my school this semester. Thanks!

contrapositive1

New

Post by contrapositive1 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:48 pm

UT has a great rep

AveryTolar

New

Post by AveryTolar » Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:50 pm

This is an odd question but I can't think of a better place to ask it, I was wondering how the Review of Law and Politics is viewed as a secondary journal? Is it viewed as a respectable academic publication or the Fox News of UT journals? How would it be viewed by a prospective employer?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

zombie mcavoy

Bronze

Post by zombie mcavoy » Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:59 pm

fox news

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:25 pm

"The Unfettered Pursuit of Conservative Legal Scholarship"
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

AveryTolar

New

Post by AveryTolar » Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:29 pm

zombie mcavoy wrote:fox news
Read through some past issues and yeah, the comparison holds up.

El Principe

Silver

Post by El Principe » Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:05 am

AveryTolar wrote:This is an odd question but I can't think of a better place to ask it, I was wondering how the Review of Law and Politics is viewed as a secondary journal? Is it viewed as a respectable academic publication or the Fox News of UT journals? How would it be viewed by a prospective employer?
If you're legitimately interested in the material, I don't know how the Fox News reputation would offend you. Be who you are. Why hide your political affiliation? If those liberal b*stards don't accept you for who you are and what you stand for, they're not the people you'd want to work for anyways. :lol:

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”