Good Schools, bad neighborhoods Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
savagecheater

Bronze

Re: Good Schools, bad neighborhoods

Post by savagecheater » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:51 am

capitalacq wrote:
Balliol2012 wrote:
capitalacq wrote:
shemori wrote:How are people coping with places like New Haven/Philly/Newark..etc?
I've gone to school in all three of those neighborhoods, so I can comment.

It's a bit intimidating at first, but you eventually learn to adapt. Not every part of philly is so bad as another poster said, but in Newark and New Haven you really need to be careful. You eventually start to treat email blasts about robberies, stabbings, and murders (although these are less common- probably 1-2/month max for murder) as spam since you get so used to it. I can really only think of 2-3 classmates that were murdered on/near campus, so your odds are pretty good.

I found that I was fine if I didn't carry anything expensive and never carried more than $40 in my wallet. I was probably only mugged 3-4 times each in both New Haven and Newark. I was never seriously injured in any of the assaults I've faced.

I'm not sure what schools you're looking at, but one thing that helped me survive in New Haven was my Glock 23 pistol. It's pretty small and accurate and I've only needed to pull it out twice. I've fired a warning shot on one occasion, but have never needed to shoot anyone for real yet. In CT, you don't have to be a resident to get a concealed carry permit, so I'd definitely recommend that if you're living in New Haven. I'd also look into for Newark and Philly, but I think they might have stricter laws.

This whole post is so ridiculous. One question I have is, how did you get mugged that many times while walking around with a gun? Your story makes perfect sense though... womp womp womp... I hope someone robs you for your Glock for being a wanker.
why are you being an ass? I didn't buy the glock until I got fed up with the muggers in New Haven rather than having to only carry $40 max to avoid losing a lot of $.. and ive never been robbed while carrying it. no need to take your dislike for the 2nd amendment out on me. not all of us get to live in privileged neighborhoods where you don't have to have these concerns
God man I went to school in Hartford; a weapon is FAR from necessary.

I never got mugged, or had trouble or anything. The neighborhoods are very shitty and you need to make sacrifices (if you have a car, safer parking > closer parking = tcr, still might get a window smashed if you leave change/gps/ipod/sweater in view) but a gun?

No. Just be smart and know your area.

firebreathingliberal

Bronze

Post by firebreathingliberal » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:11 am

This thread is like a gigantic pissing contest on who has it harder at their law school...

...nobody really cares, you should have known how bad the neighborhood is around your school and if you didn't ask then that's your fault.

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:06 pm

I'm pretty sure some people are being flames, and others are taking them seriously... which is funny.

One for the list, though: Maryland.

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:12 pm

I'm pretty sure UT had the worst security alert this year. I really want a concealed permit. I can't believe that asshole walked through campus firing an AK47. It's a good thing he didn't hurt anyone, but I would feel a lot better if I were packing. Sometimes I get worried riding the bus to and from school. I never worried about it before the gunman incident, but honestly, the bus would be a perfect place to hurt a lot of people.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:18 pm

Barbie wrote:I'm pretty sure some people are being flames, and others are taking them seriously... which is funny.

One for the list, though: Maryland.
I am reading them as flamed but responding seriously, and it's pretty funny.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Mike12188

Silver

Post by Mike12188 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:20 pm

Pepperdine. Ran into these guys the other day, not pleasant.

aidez-moi

Bronze

Post by aidez-moi » Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:02 pm

Long time lurker.

Came in to say that Newark isn't nearly as bad as anyone thinks. (And this is coming from a Texan.)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”