Good Schools, bad neighborhoods Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
shemori

New

Good Schools, bad neighborhoods

Post by shemori » Sat Oct 16, 2010 2:47 am

How are people coping with places like New Haven/Philly/Newark..etc?

D. H2Oman

Platinum

Re: Good Schools, bad neighborhoods

Post by D. H2Oman » Sat Oct 16, 2010 2:49 am

Subtle Rutgers trolling.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:53 am

Penn is no longer in a bad neighborhood by any means. 15 years ago yes. Today no.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:59 am

shemori wrote:How are people coping with places like New Haven
By sitting at home and pondering what exactly do they want to do with their future, since they will be able to do any goddamn thing they want.

capitalacq

Silver

Post by capitalacq » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:08 pm

shemori wrote:How are people coping with places like New Haven/Philly/Newark..etc?
I've gone to school in all three of those neighborhoods, so I can comment.

It's a bit intimidating at first, but you eventually learn to adapt. Not every part of philly is so bad as another poster said, but in Newark and New Haven you really need to be careful. You eventually start to treat email blasts about robberies, stabbings, and murders (although these are less common- probably 1-2/month max for murder) as spam since you get so used to it. I can really only think of 2-3 classmates that were murdered on/near campus, so your odds are pretty good.

I found that I was fine if I didn't carry anything expensive and never carried more than $40 in my wallet. I was probably only mugged 3-4 times each in both New Haven and Newark. I was never seriously injured in any of the assaults I've faced.

I'm not sure what schools you're looking at, but one thing that helped me survive in New Haven was my Glock 23 pistol. It's pretty small and accurate and I've only needed to pull it out twice. I've fired a warning shot on one occasion, but have never needed to shoot anyone for real yet. In CT, you don't have to be a resident to get a concealed carry permit, so I'd definitely recommend that if you're living in New Haven. I'd also look into for Newark and Philly, but I think they might have stricter laws.
Last edited by capitalacq on Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:09 pm

shemori wrote:How are people coping with places like New Haven/Philly/Newark..etc?
Its all good man. I mean, I had to shank this noob the other day, you know what I mean. Couldn't help it tho, he was getting all up on me (in Starcraft)

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:07 pm

capitalacq wrote:

It's a bit intimidating at first, but you eventually learn to adapt. Not every part of philly is so bad as another poster said, but in Newark and New Haven you really need to be careful. You eventually start to treat email blasts about robberies, stabbings, and murders (although these are less common- probably 1-2/month max for murder) as spam since you get so used to it. I can really only think of 2-3 classmates that were murdered on/near campus, so your odds are pretty good.

I found that I was fine if I didn't carry anything expensive and never carried more than $40 in my wallet. I was probably only mugged 3-4 times each in both New Haven and Newark. I was never seriously injured in any of the assaults I've faced.

I'm not sure what schools you're looking at, but one thing that helped me survive in New Haven was my Glock 23 pistol. It's pretty small and accurate and I've only needed to pull it out twice. I've fired a warning shot on one occasion, but have never needed to shoot anyone for real yet. In New Hampshire, you don't have to be a resident to get a concealed carry permit, so I'd definitely recommend that if you're living in New Haven. I'd also look into for Newark and Philly, but I think they might have stricter laws.
I know you are not serious, but PA is shall issue, and honors mail-in Florida permits :shock: (for the time being, they are trying to push a bill to ban that).
Jersey is impossible.

Glock 23 is not that small. For carry I wouldn't go for a .40 anyway. 26 for the 9, and 28 for 380.

Seriously, I have not gotten one campus alert this year at Penn. I stayed in New Haven for a short time years back, depressing but not really dangerous (from my perspective). Newark is rundown, but not like Camden which I used to visit a lot so nothing out of the ordinary.

capitalacq

Silver

Post by capitalacq » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:18 pm

r6_philly wrote:
capitalacq wrote:

I'm not sure what schools you're looking at, but one thing that helped me survive in New Haven was my Glock 23 pistol. It's pretty small and accurate and I've only needed to pull it out twice. I've fired a warning shot on one occasion, but have never needed to shoot anyone for real yet. In CT, you don't have to be a resident to get a concealed carry permit, so I'd definitely recommend that if you're living in New Haven. I'd also look into for Newark and Philly, but I think they might have stricter laws.
I know you are not serious, but PA is shall issue, and honors mail-in Florida permits :shock: (for the time being, they are trying to push a bill to ban that).
Jersey is impossible.

Glock 23 is not that small. For carry I wouldn't go for a .40 anyway. 26 for the 9, and 28 for 380.

Seriously, I have not gotten one campus alert this year at Penn. I stayed in New Haven for a short time years back, depressing but not really dangerous (from my perspective). Newark is rundown, but not like Camden which I used to visit a lot so nothing out of the ordinary.
I know PA is lax- I just wasnt sure if philly had any additional regulations since I didn't get my Glock until I moved to New Haven and almost got assaulted in a robbery. I know .40 might be overkill, but it's still relatively small and has a good punch (one out of the two times I had to pull it out in New Haven, the mere sight of it alone was enough to scare the guy away. I'm not sure if a tiny revolver would induce the same fear).

Newark shouldn't be too bad if you're living in hoboken or somewhere far enough away and commute to work/park in a garage/ dont have to go outside at all.

Balliol2012

New

Post by Balliol2012 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:23 pm

capitalacq wrote:

This whole post is so ridiculous. One question I have is, how did you get mugged that many times while walking around with a gun? Your story makes perfect sense though... womp womp womp... I hope someone robs you for your Glock for being a wanker.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:25 pm

LOL @ capital=wanker!!!!

capitalacq

Silver

Post by capitalacq » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:31 pm

Balliol2012 wrote:
capitalacq wrote:

This whole post is so ridiculous. One question I have is, how did you get mugged that many times while walking around with a gun? Your story makes perfect sense though... womp womp womp... I hope someone robs you for your Glock for being a wanker.
why are you being an ass? I didn't buy the glock until I got fed up with the muggers in New Haven rather than having to only carry $40 max to avoid losing a lot of $.. and ive never been robbed while carrying it. no need to take your dislike for the 2nd amendment out on me. not all of us get to live in privileged neighborhoods where you don't have to have these concerns

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:57 pm

capitalacq wrote: why are you being an ass? I didn't buy the glock until I got fed up with the muggers in New Haven rather than having to only carry $40 max to avoid losing a lot of $.. and ive never been robbed while carrying it. no need to take your dislike for the 2nd amendment out on me. not all of us get to live in privileged neighborhoods where you don't have to have these concerns
I don't really like how you are characterizing poorer neighborhoods, but whatever makes you happy at night...

JG Hall

Bronze

Post by JG Hall » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:59 pm

if we're judging schools based on how many security notices they send out, then stay away from CLS...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:09 am

r6_philly wrote:
capitalacq wrote: why are you being an ass? I didn't buy the glock until I got fed up with the muggers in New Haven rather than having to only carry $40 max to avoid losing a lot of $.. and ive never been robbed while carrying it. no need to take your dislike for the 2nd amendment out on me. not all of us get to live in privileged neighborhoods where you don't have to have these concerns
I don't really like how you are characterizing poorer neighborhoods, but whatever makes you happy at night...
Man already has a Glock, what more does he need to be happy?

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:21 am

JG Hall wrote:if we're judging schools based on how many security notices they send out, then stay away from CLS...
Are you serious? How many?

We had 1 sexual assault off campus at my UG and one robbery a couple of blocks away. That was it. Pretty nice area.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:21 am

stratocophic wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
Man already has a Glock, what more does he need to be happy?
He know not about Glocks.

eandy

Gold

Post by eandy » Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:28 am

r6_philly wrote:
JG Hall wrote:if we're judging schools based on how many security notices they send out, then stay away from CLS...

We had 1 sexual assault off campus at my UG and one robbery a couple of blocks away. That was it. Pretty nice area.
My UG sent out an alert if someone's unattended blackberry or ipod was stolen in the library.
My LS....is a shitstorm. Atlanta shipped their homeless to Athens in 1996 and now there are projects everywhere. In addition, neighboring counties' criminals somehow end up in halfway houses in downtown Athens. People posing as taxi drivers picking up drunk girls and raping them, muggings and robberies daily, kidnapping attempts, etc. Every day when I walk to school around 7:30, some sketchball harasses me. Walking home from a bar alone? No can do. I am so tired of having to constantly look behind me, cross the street to avoid scary people, and constantly clutching my pepper spray.

I miss UG. I'm afraid to walk home at 8pm in the dark, and I only live .5 a mile away from the LS.

The thing is, for most people, Athens probably wouldn't seem that bad. It's all a matter of what you're used to, I guess.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:30 am

eandy wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

My UG sent out an alert if someone's unattended blackberry or ipod was stolen in the library.
My LS....is a shitstorm. Atlanta shipped their homeless to Athens in 1996 and now there are projects everywhere. In addition, neighboring counties' criminals somehow end up in halfway houses in downtown Athens. People posing as taxi drivers picking up drunk girls and raping them, muggings and robberies daily, kidnapping attempts, etc. Every day when I walk to school around 7:30, some sketchball harasses me. Walking home from a bar alone? No can do. I am so tired of having to constantly look behind me, cross the street to avoid scary people, and constantly clutching my pepper spray.

I miss UG. I'm afraid to walk home at 8pm in the dark, and I only live .5 a mile away from the LS.

The thing is, for most people, Athens probably wouldn't seem that bad. It's all a matter of what you're used to, I guess.

really???? I have a ton of friends @ UGA who have never mentioned having an issue. I always thought of Athens as a pretty safe place (esp compared to where I live now)

JG Hall

Bronze

Post by JG Hall » Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:32 am

r6_philly wrote:

Here's the thing: I don't actually think it's unsafe. I walk around by myself, drunk, at 4am a lot. But is is Harlem surrounding this little Columbia bubble. I'm pretty sure we get at least one security notice a week, although I don't ever read them. A lot of bike thefts, maybe?

That being said, if the idea of getting sketchy CCTV pics of a dude suspected of "forced touching" freaks people out, don't come to CLS. This is New York. That kind of mindset won't get you very far.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:36 am

Ha I guess we only issue serious security alerts.

I am not concerned, because I look like a sketchy character and never get bothered :lol:

eandy

Gold

Post by eandy » Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:55 am

Barbie wrote:
eandy wrote: The thing is, for most people, Athens probably wouldn't seem that bad. It's all a matter of what you're used to, I guess.
really???? I have a ton of friends @ UGA who have never mentioned having an issue. I always thought of Athens as a pretty safe place (esp compared to where I live now)
I read the crime blotter every day. Most people don't. I'm sure this negatively impacts how I view the surrounding community. Unfortunately a lot of students are not aware of how screwed up Athens is and continue to do dumb things. If you don't wander around alone, you are mindful of the areas to stay out of, and you keep your valuables put away, you're fine.
Still, I am used to my UG where people freaked out over one blackberry. The change is pretty drastic. I can't imagine if I had gone from my UG to a real city.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

capitalacq

Silver

Post by capitalacq » Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:11 am

r6_philly wrote:
I never once mentioned "poorer" or income or any other neighborhoods

all I did was relay my experience in the three cities the person mentioned.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:45 am

capitalacq wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
I never once mentioned "poorer" or income or any other neighborhoods

all I did was relay my experience in the three cities the person mentioned.

Balliol2012

New

Post by Balliol2012 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:46 am

capitalacq wrote:
Balliol2012 wrote:
capitalacq wrote:

why are you being an ass? I didn't buy the glock until I got fed up with the muggers in New Haven rather than having to only carry $40 max to avoid losing a lot of $.. and ive never been robbed while carrying it. no need to take your dislike for the 2nd amendment out on me. not all of us get to live in privileged neighborhoods where you don't have to have these concerns
I actually don't dislike the second amendment. I love guns. I am from an inner city area, and I still live there. But honestly, if you are getting robbed that much all over the place, then you are doing something wrong. In the hood, there is such a thing as making people grimy. That means that someone who isn't even thinking about a robbery starts thinking about it because they see how nervous you are, for example, to be walking past a young black male. Unless you are wearing flashy jewels, you shouldn't be having to pull a gun out and fire off warning shots ANYWHERE.

D. H2Oman

Platinum

Post by D. H2Oman » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:50 am

eandy wrote:The thing is, for most people, Athens probably wouldn't seem that bad. It's all a matter of what you're used to, I guess.

+1, after growing up in Mogadishu I say bring on Camden, NJ

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”