SLS 1L(s), here to chat Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
r6_philly

Diamond

Re: SLS 1L(s), here to chat

Post by r6_philly » Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:46 pm

cardinals1989 wrote:
I am still a bit undecided about going, but I am definitely leaning towards it. If I do go, I am also thinking Thursday, probably in the afternoon, through Friday night or Saturday morning. By appointment, do you mean like for a tour, attending a class, or meeting with someone in admissions?
All of the above :) well maybe minus the class because we will have the baby with us.

We are flying in Thur. morning so will be there afternoon. Hope to see you there? ;)

cardinals1989

Silver

Post by cardinals1989 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:12 pm

r6_philly wrote:
cardinals1989 wrote:
I am still a bit undecided about going, but I am definitely leaning towards it. If I do go, I am also thinking Thursday, probably in the afternoon, through Friday night or Saturday morning. By appointment, do you mean like for a tour, attending a class, or meeting with someone in admissions?
All of the above :) well maybe minus the class because we will have the baby with us.

We are flying in Thur. morning so will be there afternoon. Hope to see you there? ;)
Yeah, I was not sure if I should really schedule a meeting with admissions or not. I know adding a face to the application is always nice, but I want to have more to say other than "Yo, Faye, how's it hangin'?" Besides, I do not think that they would answer any of the questions I want answered anyway. :wink:

What's the proper form for this anyway?

dubs

New

Post by dubs » Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:00 pm

I was wondering what job prospects are like on the East coast for a Stanford grad interested in public interest law. I'm choosing between Harvard and Stanford, but I'm from NYC and I know I want to come back after law school to practice. Will going to Stanford over Harvard limit my job prospects? I know there aren't as many Stanford alums practicing on the East coast.

amputatedbrain

Bronze

Post by amputatedbrain » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:47 pm

Haven't posted on TLS in a long, long time, but since I used it so much as an applicant thought I'd pay it forward now as well. I don't know how Harvard 1Ls are doing so I can't give you an opinion in reference to that particular school, but I can tell you that at least myself and many of my classmates are having no problem getting summer jobs on the East coast; I'm going to DC, and some of my friends are going to NY and NJ. Someone might have data or something that says otherwise, but speaking from my own viewpoint, I don't think worrying about being able to find jobs on the East coast should be a huge concern or part of your decision.

Maroon+Cardinal

New

Post by Maroon+Cardinal » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:34 pm

Is Verizon's service strong in Palo Alto?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

amputatedbrain

Bronze

Post by amputatedbrain » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:47 pm

Maroon+Cardinal wrote:Is Verizon's service strong in Palo Alto?
Yes it's just fine. Although interestingly, cell phone reception is awful inside Munger buildings

The Stig

Silver

Post by The Stig » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:55 pm

amputatedbrain wrote:Haven't posted on TLS in a long, long time, but since I used it so much as an applicant thought I'd pay it forward now as well. I don't know how Harvard 1Ls are doing so I can't give you an opinion in reference to that particular school, but I can tell you that at least myself and many of my classmates are having no problem getting summer jobs on the East coast; I'm going to DC, and some of my friends are going to NY and NJ. Someone might have data or something that says otherwise, but speaking from my own viewpoint, I don't think worrying about being able to find jobs on the East coast should be a huge concern or part of your decision.
I think the data can be found here-
http://www.law.stanford.edu/experience/ ... nts/stats/

but only enrolled students can access it :(

MartianManhunter

Bronze

Post by MartianManhunter » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:09 pm

dubs wrote:I was wondering what job prospects are like on the East coast for a Stanford grad interested in public interest law. I'm choosing between Harvard and Stanford, but I'm from NYC and I know I want to come back after law school to practice. Will going to Stanford over Harvard limit my job prospects? I know there aren't as many Stanford alums practicing on the East coast.
Not at all. My friends who have wanted jobs in government/non-profits and I have gotten interviews and offers from everyplace we've applied. One of my good friends had a turnaround time for a fairly competitive position with a nonprofit in a few days. They want Stanford students.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:22 pm

How does Stanford grads fare compared to Berkeley grads doing IP/Technology law? I know Berkeley heavily advertise their IP focus, so I want to know if their grads' prospect is comparable to a Stanford grad.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

amputatedbrain

Bronze

Post by amputatedbrain » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:10 am

r6_philly wrote:How does Stanford grads fare compared to Berkeley grads doing IP/Technology law? I know Berkeley heavily advertise their IP focus, so I want to know if their grads' prospect is comparable to a Stanford grad.
I'm out of my area because I have no interest in IP law, but just because I don't know if any of the other 1L's on this board will either I'll tell you this: my final decision was between Berkeley and Stanford, and honestly I would doubt there's anything Berkeley has a real edge in. I know IP is their "specialty," but Stanford is in Silicon Valley too and has many technology oriented professors and journals. Frankly, the name Berkeley causes eyes to roll in a lot of circles, probably not as much in IP, but there aren't any employers who are going to have that "oh jeez" reaction to the Stanford name. When I visited Berkeley for admit weekend and mentioned to a few guides that I was also admitted to Stanford, one or two told me quietly, essentially verbatim, "we love Berkeley, but we would never tell anyone to turn down Stanford."

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”