UVA 1L taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
jawsthegreat

Silver

Re: UVA 1L taking questions

Post by jawsthegreat » Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:09 pm

flyingpanda wrote:
jt1341 wrote:
Im always playing at my UG, and it seems as though me and my friends (and others in the A league) are always hitting it out no problem. Is that the case there? or will my 2+ homeruns every game be seen as amazing? haha
That's definitely better than average, but there are plenty of people at UVa who can ball.
Yea, that's pretty good. How far is the field? Also, they're are probably 25+ former college athletes at the law school so competition is pretty intense.

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:07 pm

jawsthegreat wrote:
flyingpanda wrote:
jt1341 wrote:
Im always playing at my UG, and it seems as though me and my friends (and others in the A league) are always hitting it out no problem. Is that the case there? or will my 2+ homeruns every game be seen as amazing? haha
That's definitely better than average, but there are plenty of people at UVa who can ball.
Yea, that's pretty good. How far is the field? Also, they're are probably 25+ former college athletes at the law school so competition is pretty intense.
Our field doesnt have a fence. When i say hitting it out, i mean i can jog the bases pretty slowly with no cause for concern of being thrown out. People usually learn by the end and play rediculously far back, which is pretty lame to me.

Im a pretty competitive guy, so that makes me happy to hear

flyingpanda

Silver

Post by flyingpanda » Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:58 pm

jt1341 wrote:
jawsthegreat wrote:
flyingpanda wrote:
jt1341 wrote:
Our field doesnt have a fence. When i say hitting it out, i mean i can jog the bases pretty slowly with no cause for concern of being thrown out. People usually learn by the end and play rediculously far back, which is pretty lame to me.

Im a pretty competitive guy, so that makes me happy to hear
If you want competition, you should join a team when you get here. The section teams are really random in terms of how good they are.

D. H2Oman

Platinum

Post by D. H2Oman » Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:01 pm

jt1341 wrote:Im always playing at my UG, and it seems as though me and my friends (and others in the A league) are always hitting it out no problem. Is that the case there? or will my 2+ homeruns every game be seen as amazing? haha

How much you wanna make a bet I can throw a football over them mountains?... Yeah... Coach woulda put me in fourth quarter, we would've been state champions. No doubt. No doubt in my mind.

--ImageRemoved--

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:57 pm

D. H2Oman wrote:
jt1341 wrote:Im always playing at my UG, and it seems as though me and my friends (and others in the A league) are always hitting it out no problem. Is that the case there? or will my 2+ homeruns every game be seen as amazing? haha

How much you wanna make a bet I can throw a football over them mountains?... Yeah... Coach woulda put me in fourth quarter, we would've been state champions. No doubt. No doubt in my mind.

--ImageRemoved--
Haha i love it! I take insults from people who dont know me very lightly.

The question is, was my statement really that big? I mean who cant crush a softball that is thrown underhand to you..... hopefully only girls and small children.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

vamedic03

Gold

Post by vamedic03 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:02 pm

BruceWayne wrote:
joemoviebuff wrote:Best/worst things about UVA for you?

So far, are you content with your decision to attend law school? (Only a month in, might be hard to gauge, but you must have some idea.)
Best: laid back atmosphere

Worst: LRW

So far yes, but until I get a good job I won't be completely content..........

Also, at the risk of starting a war, I suggest asking for employment questions from 3L's only (at least for a few more months and in regards to 2L OGI as opposed to 1L summer jobs). I have gotten pretty different answers from 3L's than from 2L's when it comes to job search questions (particularly from the 2Ls who frequent TLS). In fact, in regards to some of the 2L job comments the 3L's have said "who the heck told you that?" So just be aware of this, as most of the UVA people who frequent TLS are 1L's or 2L's.
I would be careful how much weight you put in 3L's over 2L's on the current state of the job market.

flyingpanda

Silver

Post by flyingpanda » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:29 pm

vamedic03 wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:

So far, are you content with your decision to attend law school? (Only a month in, might be hard to gauge, but you must have some idea.)

Also, at the risk of starting a war, I suggest asking for employment questions from 3L's only (at least for a few more months and in regards to 2L OGI as opposed to 1L summer jobs). I have gotten pretty different answers from 3L's than from 2L's when it comes to job search questions (particularly from the 2Ls who frequent TLS). In fact, in regards to some of the 2L job comments the 3L's have said "who the heck told you that?" So just be aware of this, as most of the UVA people who frequent TLS are 1L's or 2L's.
I would be careful how much weight you put in 3L's over 2L's on the current state of the job market.
I think I would give 2L's more weight actually because their OCI is closer in time to ours.

BruceWayne

Gold

Post by BruceWayne » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:58 pm

flyingpanda wrote:
vamedic03 wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:

Also, at the risk of starting a war, I suggest asking for employment questions from 3L's only (at least for a few more months and in regards to 2L OGI as opposed to 1L summer jobs). I have gotten pretty different answers from 3L's than from 2L's when it comes to job search questions (particularly from the 2Ls who frequent TLS). In fact, in regards to some of the 2L job comments-- the 3L's have said "who the heck told you that?" So just be aware of this, as most of the UVA people who frequent TLS are 1L's or 2L's.
I think I would give 2L's more weight actually because their OCI is closer in time to ours.
The economy was worse last year, and a lot of 2Ls are still waiting on offers. Obviously 2L's can give some helpful info, but they have not experienced the whole process like a 3L. One of the main things is that some of the 3L's have explained how they didn't end up landing their final offer until some time after OGI---It's not even the end of September yet.

vamedic03

Gold

Post by vamedic03 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:02 pm

There are three important things to takeaway from the OGI process (regardless of whether it comes from a 2L or 3L):

1) Grades are extremely important

(a) 1L's - this means that you need to spend your time focusing on class and not worrying about finding a 1L summer job until exams are done. If you really have some downtime, then you can prepare some spam materials for December 1st. However, it is highly unlikely that you will get a 1L SA job and, even though it is possible, its really not worth wasting the time trying for a 1L SA job when you could be preparing for exams.

2) Have a backup plan

(a) 1L's - recognize that until you have your 1st semester grades back, you don't know whether or not you will be competitive for big law, etc. Don't plan on being able to go into big law and start to consider government work.

(b) Realize that DC may not happen. DC is incredibly tough this year - don't believe anyone who tells you otherwise. Be open to other cities. There are far more non-LR people with NYC V5 and V10 offers than there are non-LR people with V10-V20 DC offers.

3) Related to the back up plan, don't rely on OGI - You'll know where you stand by next summer, but strongly consider mass mailing. Even if you have great grades, consider at least targeting some non-OGI firms.

Final point - if you want a job, you can get a job. But, you have to be open to working outside of Big Law - this means, you might have to work for state or local government. People can get tremendous experience in state/federal civil litigation by working for a County/City Attorney's Office. Likewise, you can get a lot of experience with criminal work by working for DA's offices. That said, you have to be willing to hustle to get these positions.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BruceWayne

Gold

Post by BruceWayne » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:08 pm

Thank you for this. When you say start looking at government, what exactly does this entail as a 1L?

jnorsky

Bronze

Post by jnorsky » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:13 pm

Of course grades are important, but I know people with average grades that did extremely well during OCI. I think that learning how to interview is one of the most overlooked things in law school OCI.

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:24 pm

What do people mean learning how to interview?

I have always felt that its kind of something you either do or do not have. Just from a social standpoint. Am i incorrect?

swinger

Bronze

Post by swinger » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:25 pm

To: JawsTheGreat or JNorsky

How hot are the girls? and How far did you hit that ball? and How drunk are you?

Thanks!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

sherpaorlawschool

Bronze

Post by sherpaorlawschool » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:28 pm

vamedic03 wrote: (a) 1L's - recognize that until you have your 1st semester grades back, you don't know whether or not you will be competitive for big law, etc. Don't plan on being able to go into big law and start to consider government work.
vamedic, I'm curious what you mean by the second sentence. Do you mean we shouldn't be thinking we can go into big law and use government work as a backup option? That seems to be the sense that I've gotten from here is that government and PI work shouldn't be considered an easy backup and is actually quite competitive.

To anyone willing to answer, do you think that a decision should be made during 1L as to whether one would pursue PI or big law? I have an interest in both and would like to study the law before I decide what kind of law I want to practice.

How is OGI going this year in general? Is there any sense of how it is overall? I haven't seen too much about it on here. A related question, how are people doing that are aiming for the west coast? Or Houston/Dallas for that matter?

This may be a silly question. I know what happens if one strikes out at 2L OGI. But, what happens if one gets a 2L SA position and then doesn't get offered a job from that? Does that person go through OGI again or are they on their own for finding a job? Is getting a SA position in 2L the only way to get into big law?

Thanks!
Last edited by sherpaorlawschool on Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

swinger

Bronze

Post by swinger » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:30 pm

jt1341 wrote:What do people mean learning how to interview?

I have always felt that its kind of something you either do or do not have. Just from a social standpoint. Am i incorrect?
You can definitely "learn how to interview." Sure, there is an inherent ability that some people have, but the mechanics can be learned. Compare it to softball, aka your life at UVA, some people play ball in college and therefore have the natural ability to hit homeruns, in the interview world lets compare that to the natural charisma and ability to behave normally in situations like interviews. But just because someone DIDN'T play in college doesn't mean they can't learn the fundamentals of the game and then succeed! There are tons of websites that have interviewing tips- they discuss what to talk about, what NOT to talk about, how to answer certain questions, etc. If you study how to interview effectively and practice (i'm serious, prep and practice answering common interview questions) you, too, can hit it into the trees at Copeley.

wackjickham

Bronze

Post by wackjickham » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:52 pm

Last edited by wackjickham on Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vamedic03

Gold

Post by vamedic03 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:54 pm

sherpaorlawschool wrote:
vamedic03 wrote: (a) 1L's - recognize that until you have your 1st semester grades back, you don't know whether or not you will be competitive for big law, etc. Don't plan on being able to go into big law and start to consider government work.
vamedic, I'm curious what you mean by the second sentence. Do you mean we shouldn't be thinking we can go into big law and use government work as a backup option? That seems to be the sense that I've gotten from here is that government and PI work shouldn't be considered an easy backup and is actually quite competitive.

To anyone willing to answer, do you think that a decision should be made during 1L as to whether one would pursue PI or big law? I have an interest in both and would like to study the law before I decide what kind of law I want to practice.

How is OGI going this year in general? Is there any sense of how it is overall? I haven't seen too much about it on here. A related question, how are people doing that are aiming for the west coast? Or Houston/Dallas for that matter?

This may be a silly question. I know what happens if one strikes out at 2L OGI. But, what happens if one gets a 2L SA position and then doesn't get offered a job from that? Does that person go through OGI again or are they on their own for finding a job? Is getting a SA position in 2L the only way to get into big law?

Thanks!
1) Prestigious government and PI is just as competitive as big law - however, often times they'll look at factors other than grades (commitment, WE, etc.). There are less competitive PI and government positions as well - you need to be open to these positions.

2) You do not need to make a decision between PI/Government and big law; but, if you don't have a very public service heavy resume, I would highly recommend doing something in PI or public service over 1L summer. This will help give you street cred if you do big law your 2L summer and then decide you'd rather do public service. I did public service during 1L summer and will be at a firm next summer.

3) I've heard very mixed things with OGI this year. I know people with strong grades who don't have any offers yet and I know people with weaker grades that do have offers. I know some people who got lots of callbacks and some who got very few. I've heard mixed things about Texas - some have been successful, some have not been very successful. Same thing with people focusing on the West Coast. I honestly can't give a better answer than that. What I can tell you, is that for whatever city you interview in (including DC or NYC) have clear, articulable reasons for wanting to be in that city.

4) I don't know personally know anyone who got no-offered. I think their big-law prospects will probably depend on a lot of different factors (networking, grades, etc. - if you're top 5% and got no-offered you'll probably be fine, if you're at median, it might be bleaker). Regardless, at least in my experience, career services WILL NOT abandon you and I know that career services have been working their asses off trying to help everyone.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:43 pm

vamedic03 wrote:
sherpaorlawschool wrote:

Thanks!
1) Prestigious government and PI is just as competitive as big law - however, often times they'll look at factors other than grades (commitment, WE, etc.). There are less competitive PI and government positions as well - you need to be open to these positions.

2) You do not need to make a decision between PI/Government and big law; but, if you don't have a very public service heavy resume, I would highly recommend doing something in PI or public service over 1L summer. This will help give you street cred if you do big law your 2L summer and then decide you'd rather do public service. I did public service during 1L summer and will be at a firm next summer.

3) I've heard very mixed things with OGI this year. I know people with strong grades who don't have any offers yet and I know people with weaker grades that do have offers. I know some people who got lots of callbacks and some who got very few. I've heard mixed things about Texas - some have been successful, some have not been very successful. Same thing with people focusing on the West Coast. I honestly can't give a better answer than that. What I can tell you, is that for whatever city you interview in (including DC or NYC) have clear, articulable reasons for wanting to be in that city.

4) I don't know personally know anyone who got no-offered. I think their big-law prospects will probably depend on a lot of different factors (networking, grades, etc. - if you're top 5% and got no-offered you'll probably be fine, if you're at median, it might be bleaker). Regardless, at least in my experience, career services WILL NOT abandon you and I know that career services have been working their asses off trying to help everyone.
Great response, thank you

flyingpanda

Silver

Post by flyingpanda » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:47 pm

swinger wrote:To: JawsTheGreat or JNorsky

How hot are the girls? and How far did you hit that ball? and How drunk are you?

Thanks!
You guys lost :(

I think it's because I'm not on the team.

jnorsky

Bronze

Post by jnorsky » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:03 pm

flyingpanda wrote:

Thanks!

my shit is a dead giveaway so ill say, the girls are not bad (ugrads are hotties), I hit the ball extremely far fairly often, and im sober now, but i will be extremely drunk tomorrow.

and yea we lost, we sucked it up

sherpaorlawschool

Bronze

Post by sherpaorlawschool » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:30 pm

vamedic03 wrote:
sherpaorlawschool wrote:

Thanks!

That was very helpful. Thanks for the response! Looking forward to being out there next fall

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

wackjickham

Bronze

Post by wackjickham » Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:45 pm

jnorsky wrote:
flyingpanda wrote:

Thanks!

my shit is a dead giveaway so ill say, the girls are not bad (ugrads are hotties), I hit the ball extremely far fairly often, and im sober now, but i will be extremely drunk tomorrow.

Everyone's usernames are so hard to figure out :(

jmaan

Bronze

Post by jmaan » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:48 pm

wackjickham wrote:
jnorsky wrote:
flyingpanda wrote:

Thanks!

A Swift

Bronze

Post by A Swift » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:49 pm

Thanks guys for starting this thread! I deferred so I'll be there next year, hopefully we will all be friends!!!!

Do you guys know if I have to go to class, or can I just be the only one in a 90 person class who hasn't shown up in weeks?

UW2UVA

New

Post by UW2UVA » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:59 pm

wackjickham wrote:
there's like 3 people at this school that fit my username. ya gotta do least a lil searchin!

bigger hint, think i just added u on FB...
Last edited by UW2UVA on Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”