University of Georgia School of Law Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
texaslawyer

Bronze

Re: University of Georgia School of Law

Post by texaslawyer » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:35 am

Trev y'all take it easy on my Gators now ! I've never been to Athens, but I hear it's a neat place. I root for Georgia as long as they aren't playing Florida. WHere would you like to practice ? Atlanta is a great city for attorneys, especially for freshly minted attorneys. I will tell you, the Georgia bar is no day at the beach and doesn't suffer the unprepared.

teege

New

Post by teege » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:02 pm

If I went to UGA and my GF was going to Emory, how easy is it to get between?

Is there a place we could live in between and each have a decent commute?

Or is this just a bad idea?

texaslawyer

Bronze

Post by texaslawyer » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:48 pm

Teege they are only about an hour apart. If you and you girlfriend want a laid back, nice weekend, go to either Hilton Head, SC or Jekyl Island, Ga. It's not a bad idea at all.

de5igual

Silver

Post by de5igual » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:54 pm

teege wrote:If I went to UGA and my GF was going to Emory, how easy is it to get between?

Is there a place we could live in between and each have a decent commute?

Or is this just a bad idea?
bad idea

the daily commute both ways would be nightmarish for both of you and will seriously cut into study time

soobaroo227

New

Post by soobaroo227 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:10 pm

Yeah, it would be best to live separately in Athens and Atlanta. However, you can easily see each other every weekend because the drive is only about an 1 and a half, or even shorter if you have a bit of a lead foot.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kikuchiyo ali

New

Post by kikuchiyo ali » Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:55 pm

I actually went to Emory for UG and my house is out near(er) Athens, in Suwanee.

It's a shit commute during the week. It's not worth it. But I'd often go home from Emory on the weekends (off peak time, if I could help it, traffic is awful) and if you plan it right it's totally do-able.

HawksJetsFalcons

New

Post by HawksJetsFalcons » Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:03 pm

So I applied through LSAC, and i'm complete, but I haven't received any email about a status checker yet. I applied last week. Not gonna lie, i'm pretty nervous about that.

Thomas Sutpen

New

Post by Thomas Sutpen » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:53 am

I was accepted and was wondering if anyone would like to comment that has also applied or ever thought about going to Alabama Law vs. Georgia. I love Georgia and it is my number one choice but tuition is definitely a factor. If I was accepted to both, is there a chance for leveraging the in state tuition at Alabama to get some scholarship money? How do you find out about scholarship? Is the whole loans thing terrible?
Basically my questions are financial. I know I love the school.

BTW how's the social scene? Being in Athens must be interesting when you have to study really hard.

john titor

Bronze

Post by john titor » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:14 pm

I would call up Gregory Roseboro and ask for an in-state tuition equalization scholarship. They will charge you in state tuition for the first year and the second year you can get georgia residency. This is what I did, and it made georgia very inexpensive.

unless you still like to drink like an undergrad, it's not hard to buckle down and concentrate in athens. rent a place in pulaski heights or boulevard - you can still walk to downtown/campus but you dont have to deal with parties or noise.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

texaslawyer

Bronze

Post by texaslawyer » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:25 pm

How is this law school toward non-trads ?

john titor

Bronze

Post by john titor » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:27 pm

there were only a few nontrads in my class, but it's not like they had any problems. the school is generally quite clique-ish but if youre an older student you probably dont care, right? it's generally a young law school so if youre a nontrad i wouldnt expect to make a bunch of best friends

Thomas Sutpen

New

Post by Thomas Sutpen » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:59 am

Thanks John, appreciate the quick response. How did you go about it, asking I mean? I got a 164/3.65 so I'm hesitant as to whether they'll want to give me an equalization, but I am quite charming :wink:

moviechicka

New

Post by moviechicka » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:25 am

I'm wondering how easy it is to find a roommate. Does the school of law help out with roommate placement for off-campus students? I'm a bit older than most students (26) and I'm just wondering if it'll be difficult to find someone to room with.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

kmt412

New

Post by kmt412 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:47 am

yes, there will be an area on the admitted students site in a few months where you can post/find roommates. that's how most people find theirs.

algren

Bronze

Post by algren » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:24 pm

kmt412 wrote:yes, there will be an area on the admitted students site in a few months where you can post/find roommates. that's how most people find theirs.
Thanks for the reply. I'm in the same boat (27) and was wondering about this.

NatSec

Bronze

Post by NatSec » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:28 am

I'm interested heavily in the non-trad. as I'll be bringing my wife and she'll need to work in either ATL or where there's major companies. So I'll probably have to commute from somewhere north/north-east of the city.

texaslawyer

Bronze

Post by texaslawyer » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:42 am

john titor wrote:there were only a few nontrads in my class, but it's not like they had any problems. the school is generally quite clique-ish but if youre an older student you probably dont care, right? it's generally a young law school so if youre a nontrad i wouldnt expect to make a bunch of best friends
Cliques really don't bother me anymore. After all, I lived in Savannah for 6 1/2 years and it is very much that way. What might make a huge difference is that I'm a HUGE Florida Gator fan. I went to undergrad at Florida briefly and once a Gator, always a Gator. Although, I do root for the Dogs except when they play Florida. I've never been to Athens, but I've heard it's a very pretty area, nice people and quirk and eccentric like most college towns. Savannah is very cliquey and clannish, while I don't like it, I can deal with it. Actually, I have friends of all ages, however, I am "Old School" about many things. However I do know that the world has changed and is changing.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

married0L

New

Post by married0L » Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:49 pm

Gators have a tendency of performing especially poorly at UGA. Major bias within the faculty.

bonnieblue

Bronze

Post by bonnieblue » Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:56 pm

texaslawyer wrote:
john titor wrote:there were only a few nontrads in my class, but it's not like they had any problems. the school is generally quite clique-ish but if youre an older student you probably dont care, right? it's generally a young law school so if youre a nontrad i wouldnt expect to make a bunch of best friends
Cliques really don't bother me anymore. After all, I lived in Savannah for 6 1/2 years and it is very much that way. What might make a huge difference is that I'm a HUGE Florida Gator fan. I went to undergrad at Florida briefly and once a Gator, always a Gator. Although, I do root for the Dawgs except when they play Florida. I've never been to Athens, but I've heard it's a very pretty area, nice people and quirk and eccentric like most college towns. Savannah is very cliquey and clannish, while I don't like it, I can deal with it. Actually, I have friends of all ages, however, I am "Old School" about many things. However I do know that the world has changed and is changing.
fixed that for ya :D

hugoboss

New

Post by hugoboss » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:55 pm

accepted today via status checker.
did you guys find out by status checker as well?
how do i find scholarship information?
thanks a lot

Matt81MA

New

Post by Matt81MA » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:06 pm

Last edited by Matt81MA on Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

married0L

New

Post by married0L » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:09 am

I am an instater that was awarded a 5k/year scholarship and will be inquiring about receiving more funds. Has anyone else done this and what is UGA's record with these sorts of requests/negotiations. I am a big fan of the law school and currently live in Athens so it is already home. Would love to work in Atlanta as it has become a home for so many of my wife's and I's friends.

Neil

Bronze

Post by Neil » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:28 am

At what age are you considered "older"? If I end up in Athens I won't know a soul in town when I start law school. I'm not looking to join any frats, but I would like to be confident that I'll be able to make some friends within my age range and with at least some desire to go out and have fun, at least on weekends...

moviechicka

New

Post by moviechicka » Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:13 am

Neil wrote:
At what age are you considered "older"? If I end up in Athens I won't know a soul in town when I start law school. I'm not looking to join any frats, but I would like to be confident that I'll be able to make some friends within my age range and with at least some desire to go out and have fun, at least on weekends...
I'm curious about this too. I'm 27 and would like to be able to meet other people in their mid to late 20s. I currently live in Atlanta and I would like to work here. UGA's a great school, but I don't want to be a hermit for the next three years.

algren

Bronze

Post by algren » Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:27 pm

moviechicka wrote:
Neil wrote:
I'm curious about this too. I'm 27 and would like to be able to meet other people in their mid to late 20s. I currently live in Atlanta and I would like to work here. UGA's a great school, but I don't want to be a hermit for the next three years.
I applied to UGA and I'm 27. So there are others like you :-)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”