University of Georgia School of Law Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
greg737

New

Re: University of Georgia School of Law

Post by greg737 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:48 pm

What are job prospects out of Georgia? Is it pretty much set you will work in-state? How does it look for, say, getting a job in Miami?

I'm from the West Coast, but I don't imagine that anybody goes out to California from UGA, do they?

greg737

New

Post by greg737 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:32 pm

Also, for anyone who goes there, how competitive is it between students? Do rankings get in the way and cause people to be cutthroat?

yoyowhatupyo

New

Post by yoyowhatupyo » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:55 pm

^^ west coast prospects don't appear good at all.
of 174 bar takers, 163 took it in GA, 6 in NC and 5 in SC, according to LSAC official guide.
I'd like to stay on the West Coast too and a lower-ranked CA school seems to make more sense, though I'm torn over $$$

greg737

New

Post by greg737 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:57 am

Yea, it really seems like you should go to school in a state/city where you want to practice.

But where does one find this guide to bar statistics? I'd love to check it out.

devlindonohue

New

Post by devlindonohue » Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:22 am

Hi,

I'm 24 and will be applying for law school this fall. I've decided that UGA is my top choice, because of its ranking and because of the tuition. I live in California now, but would love to live in Georgia, and would even like practicing there after I graduate from law school. I also intend to apply for their binding early admission to perhaps increase my chances for being accepted.

I realize this thread hasn't been posted in for several years, but I'm wondering if anyone can give me any tips on what to write for my personal statement to make it clear how much I want to go there (what kind of research should I do on the school? are they known for a field of law or particular focus? law review? famous professors?), what kind of information (if any) I should include in the optional "Additional Information" field, what I can bring to the Diversity essay (I am not an URM in any way except maybe being raised agnostic), and whether it would be better to include 4 letters of recommendation, including 2 from my professors from 2011-2012 and 2 from colleagues while working as a legal assistant/paralegal in 2014-2015?

Any answers would be greatly appreciated.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

adil91

Silver

Post by adil91 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:14 pm

devlindonohue wrote:Hi,

I'm 24 and will be applying for law school this fall. I've decided that UGA is my top choice, because of its ranking and because of the tuition. I live in California now, but would love to live in Georgia, and would even like practicing there after I graduate from law school. I also intend to apply for their binding early admission to perhaps increase my chances for being accepted.

I realize this thread hasn't been posted in for several years, but I'm wondering if anyone can give me any tips on what to write for my personal statement to make it clear how much I want to go there (what kind of research should I do on the school? are they known for a field of law or particular focus? law review? famous professors?), what kind of information (if any) I should include in the optional "Additional Information" field, what I can bring to the Diversity essay (I am not an URM in any way except maybe being raised agnostic), and whether it would be better to include 4 letters of recommendation, including 2 from my professors from 2011-2012 and 2 from colleagues while working as a legal assistant/paralegal in 2014-2015?

Any answers would be greatly appreciated.
It would be tough for you to find a job after graduation if you're not in the top 10% of your class from UGA. GA legal employers are weary of hiring people who don't have ties to GA

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”