University of Georgia School of Law Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
OssumPossum

New

Re: University of Georgia School of Law

Post by OssumPossum » Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:52 pm

Application sent 11/14
Complete 11/20
Decision sent 11/25

jennylynn

Bronze

Post by jennylynn » Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:52 pm

How do you know when you go complete? Do they send you an e-mail?

common_sense

New

Post by common_sense » Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:53 pm

jennylynn wrote:How do you know when you go complete? Do they send you an e-mail?
They didn't send me an e-mail, but the status checker online updates frequently. It'll show you when you went complete.

jennylynn

Bronze

Post by jennylynn » Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:51 am

Thanks, guys. I'm getting kinda nervous...so sorry for the random questions!

bella16

Bronze

Post by bella16 » Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:41 am

No problem! Good luck!!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

OssumPossum

New

Post by OssumPossum » Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:08 am

I didn't really officially "go complete". My last LOR was received on the 20th, that's why I used that date. I figured it was the last thing to get there (LSAC received it pretty late).

Also, don't get discouraged if you don't hear much/anything. Literally the first communication I received from UGA was the status-checker, which promptly admitted me. There wasn't really any warning or rhyme or reason, it just happened.

jennylynn

Bronze

Post by jennylynn » Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:24 pm

They haven't even sent me an e-mail with my status checker login yet. I'm really nervous!!

alibaba286

New

Post by alibaba286 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:10 am

UGA is my dream school, and my status checker just changed to 'awaiting committee review.' so excited, so scared...

i have a crush on the state of georgia. on savannah, on atlanta, on tybee island, on sapelo island, on Uga (the dog), on UGA (the school), on peaches, and pecans, and peanuts, on 'midnight in the garden of good and evil' and i even sort of like hartfield-jackson international airport--extensive food court might have something to do with this.

maybe that should be my 'why UGA essay'.

and i'm considering GSU since i have a snowball's chance in hell of getting into UGA, but i'm scared that the buildings apparently used to be parking garages...

bella16

Bronze

Post by bella16 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:56 am

alibaba286 wrote:UGA is my dream school, and my status checker just changed to 'awaiting committee review.' so excited, so scared...

i have a crush on the state of georgia. on savannah, on atlanta, on tybee island, on sapelo island, on Uga (the dog), on UGA (the school), on peaches, and pecans, and peanuts, on 'midnight in the garden of good and evil' and i even sort of like hartfield-jackson international airport--extensive food court might have something to do with this.

maybe that should be my 'why UGA essay'.

and i'm considering GSU since i have a snowball's chance in hell of getting into UGA, but i'm scared that the buildings apparently used to be parking garages...
They didn't "apparently" used to be parking garages, they were. I'm a senior at GSU. I love how you explain your crush on GA, I never really thought of it that way. Peaches=yum & the airport is pretty sweet!
Oh yeah, good luck!!!! Mine took 19 days until decsion once I went under review and there are a couple of other people who have been under review since 10/31 so get ready and be patient!!!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

alibaba286

New

Post by alibaba286 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:40 pm

i just went from 'awaiting' to 'under review'.

please don't reject me, UGA.
i'll do anything.
i'll sit on a waitlist if you need me to.
i'll bake you cookies.
i'll give you my dad's boat.
i'll follow uga with a pooper scooper.
i'll try as hard as i can to like the braves instead of the mets.
i'll invite you to my christmas party.
i'll babysit your kids.
i'll have your kids.

please.
thank you.
i love you.
the end.

nianlong

New

Post by nianlong » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:07 am

Can anyone describe the political atmosphere at UGA Law? The student body being made up of 70-80% Georgia residents, I'm concerned that there will be a noticible conservative slant among students and even among faculty. Though I've heard Athens is a progressive city by Southern standards, having lived elsewhere in Georgia (not Atlanta) for many years, I can't help but be ambivalent in this respect. I'm just looking for ideological balance and diversity. Any thoughts?

Dick Whitman

Bronze

Post by Dick Whitman » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:11 am

nianlong wrote:Can anyone describe the political atmosphere at UGA Law? The student body being made up of 70-80% Georgia residents, I'm concerned that there will be a noticible conservative slant among students and even among faculty. Though I've heard Athens is a progressive city by Southern standards, having lived elsewhere in Georgia (not Atlanta) for many years, I can't help but be ambivalent in this respect. I'm just looking for ideological balance and diversity. Any thoughts?
If you're looking for ideological balance and diversity, a "conservative" law school is your best bet. Law schools are notoriously liberal as a whole.

OssumPossum

New

Post by OssumPossum » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:15 am

I wouldn't be too concerned about a conservative slant at the law school. I went to UGA undergrad and while there's a good number of young republican-type folks, there's also a good number of non-armpit-shaving hippie types.

Most people are right around the middle, like the rest of the state/country/world.

This doesn't apply specifically to the law school, but being a GA resident doesn't make you a conservative. I think GA went somewhere around 56% republican in the election, but I imagine (without evidence) that the percentage was overwhelmingly opposite among college/law school age voters.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

nianlong

New

Post by nianlong » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:20 am

That's the thing: Georgia as a state does not "feel" like the rest of the world politically, especially in educated circles outside of big cities. UGA would inevitably attract students from this pool.

I realize that being a Georgia resident does not make you conservative. I'm an example of that.

Jay Phatsby

New

Post by Jay Phatsby » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:20 am

rfm05 wrote:Does anyone know if residency is established at the date of application, or the date or matriculation? I've lived in GA since May, and was wondering if that is long enough to establish residency.
Wondering the same?

OssumPossum

New

Post by OssumPossum » Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:27 am

Call the admissions office. But it seems that if people start in August and are residents by the next year, living in GA for over a year will qualify you.

Call the admissions office to be sure.

jennylynn

Bronze

Post by jennylynn » Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:53 pm

Darn you, UGA. You close for Christmas without sending me a decision. Curses!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

alibaba286

New

Post by alibaba286 » Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:45 pm

Does anyone know any details on this 'unofficial waitlist' business? i suppose i could still receive a decision in a reasonable amount of time (only under review for a week lol) but i feel like it wouldn't be a very good one, so i'm kind of hoping i get WL'ed so i can maybe charm my way in with fantastic LOCIs and perhaps freshly baked cookies.

jennylynn

Bronze

Post by jennylynn » Fri Dec 26, 2008 9:24 am

Strike my above comment. They posted the decision on my status checker. Yay!!! :D

tha trev

New

Post by tha trev » Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:09 pm

alibaba286 wrote:Does anyone know any details on this 'unofficial waitlist' business? i suppose i could still receive a decision in a reasonable amount of time (only under review for a week lol) but i feel like it wouldn't be a very good one, so i'm kind of hoping i get WL'ed so i can maybe charm my way in with fantastic LOCIs and perhaps freshly baked cookies.

don't worry ali, i got in with your index at UGA...

jennylynn

Bronze

Post by jennylynn » Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:48 pm

Is the UGA Law bookstore on North Campus?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

mathec1

New

Post by mathec1 » Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:55 pm

jennylynn wrote:Is the UGA Law bookstore on North Campus?
You will buy the law books at the university bookstore across from Sanford Stadium.

But you want my suggestion? Rush order old editions of your books on amazon.com. The old editions will only cost you around 10 bucks each, and other than really minor page issues, they work perfectly fine. That is what I did anyways.

Or you can talk to me. I am nearly certain I can hook you up with some used books from me or my classmates.

Don't go spend a grand on books (because that is what it will cost) unless you positively don't like money.

bella16

Bronze

Post by bella16 » Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:06 pm

mathec1 wrote:
You will buy the law books at the university bookstore across from Sanford Stadium.

But you want my suggestion? Rush order old editions of your books on amazon.com. The old editions will only cost you around 10 bucks each, and other than really minor page issues, they work perfectly fine. That is what I did anyways.

Or you can talk to me. I am nearly certain I can hook you up with some used books from me or my classmates.

Don't go spend a grand on books (because that is what it will cost) unless you positively don't like money.
I didn't know you could get law books like that! Awesome idea!

mathec1

New

Post by mathec1 » Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:20 pm

Last edited by mathec1 on Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bella16

Bronze

Post by bella16 » Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:14 am

mathec1 wrote:
bella16 wrote:
mathec1 wrote:

I didn't know you could get law books like that! Awesome idea!
Yes, you can. During my first semester I only encountered one material difference in my old editions, a case that was added in the newer edition. The prof ended up glossing over that case anyway, as I'm sure they are hesitant to adopt new material. Again, the only problem you will have is that your International Shoe might be on p164 where it is on p169 in the other books. Once you figure out the difference though, it is just arithmetic. Many of mine had no differences whatsoever.

They will give you your profs and book list at orientation and many people are very anxious to get started and to do their homework the first week or so. So if you absolutely must have books for the first week of class, do what I did and drop a grand on the books from the bookstore, wait for your books to come in the mail, and then return the expensive new books for a full refund within their refund period.
You are awesome! Oh yeah, I ended up deciding to commute as it's like a 45 min drive from where I live and my dad will pay my rent if I stay in this same apt with my brother. Sucks, but at least it looks like I'll be able to start next year. I'm still thinking of applying for a deferral though just to get my money up.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”