University of Georgia School of Law Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
MHP

New

Re: University of Georgia School of Law

Post by MHP » Thu Jan 01, 2009 4:52 pm

bella16 wrote:

You are awesome! Oh yeah, I ended up deciding to commute as it's like a 45 min drive from where I live and my dad will pay my rent if I stay in this same apt with my brother. Sucks, but at least it looks like I'll be able to start next year. I'm still thinking of applying for a deferral though just to get my money up.
Bella, you are planning on commuting from the Atlanta suburbs to Athens for school? Wow. 316 is a serious stretch of highway. With your dad paying your rent, that's quite a deal, but I am impressed that you are considering this. I am still torn on where to go (husband and dog are in Athens, and I LOVE it here) but my cycle is far from over. I have toyed with the idea of commuting to Emory from Athens (given the Woodruff Fellowship) but the thought turns my stomach. I guess this is because I lived in Atlanta for ten years and driving in that town is damn difficult. I will be curious to see if you decide to make the daily drive!

bella16

Bronze

Post by bella16 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:32 am

MHP wrote:
bella16 wrote:

You are awesome! Oh yeah, I ended up deciding to commute as it's like a 45 min drive from where I live and my dad will pay my rent if I stay in this same apt with my brother. Sucks, but at least it looks like I'll be able to start next year. I'm still thinking of applying for a deferral though just to get my money up.
Bella, you are planning on commuting from the Atlanta suburbs to Athens for school? Wow. 316 is a serious stretch of highway. With your dad paying your rent, that's quite a deal, but I am impressed that you are considering this. I am still torn on where to go (husband and dog are in Athens, and I LOVE it here) but my cycle is far from over. I have toyed with the idea of commuting to Emory from Athens (given the Woodruff Fellowship) but the thought turns my stomach. I guess this is because I lived in Atlanta for ten years and driving in that town is damn difficult. I will be curious to see if you decide to make the daily drive!
lol thanks. But it isn't 316 we just took 285 and in roughly 45min I saw the University of Georgia/Athens sign and my brother said he didn't think it was too far from the exit. It's either that or I'm going to have to ask for a deferral for a year.

de5igual

Silver

Post by de5igual » Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:48 am

Last edited by de5igual on Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bella16

Bronze

Post by bella16 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:58 am

f0bolous wrote:
bella16 wrote: lol thanks. But it isn't 316 we just took 285 and in roughly 45min I saw the University of Georgia/Athens sign and my brother said he didn't think it was too far from the exit. It's either that or I'm going to have to ask for a deferral for a year.
You must not be too familiar with ATL. 285 is nowhere near Athens. You guys prob saw a sign for 78, which, if you headed east, would eventually take you to Athens in around 2 hours.
Actually I've lived here for 4 years. We stayed on 285 and it became 1-85 and the exit was in the 100s for UGA.

teaadntoast

Bronze

Post by teaadntoast » Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:07 am

bella16 wrote:
f0bolous wrote:
bella16 wrote: lol thanks. But it isn't 316 we just took 285 and in roughly 45min I saw the University of Georgia/Athens sign and my brother said he didn't think it was too far from the exit. It's either that or I'm going to have to ask for a deferral for a year.
You must not be too familiar with ATL. 285 is nowhere near Athens. You guys prob saw a sign for 78, which, if you headed east, would eventually take you to Athens in around 2 hours.
Actually I've lived here for 4 years. We stayed on 285 and it became 1-85 and the exit was in the 100s for UGA.
The exit you're thinking of is exit 106. The problem is that after you get off I-85 you're looking at another hour or so on GA-316. Coming from Atlanta, 316 is about the only way in or out of Athens and it can get pretty packed during rush hour.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jennylynn

Bronze

Post by jennylynn » Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:08 am

I hope it works out for you, Bella. You're obviously a smart girl and deserve to go. Hopefully we'll be classmates this time next year. :)

bella16

Bronze

Post by bella16 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:21 am

teaadntoast wrote:
bella16 wrote:
f0bolous wrote:
The exit you're thinking of is exit 106. The problem is that after you get off I-85 you're looking at another hour or so on GA-316. Coming from Atlanta, 316 is about the only way in or out of Athens and it can get pretty packed during rush hour.
Thanks. I'm sure I'll survive though! My dad is a doctor and drives 2hrs one way to get to work. I never missed any bread on my table :wink:

teaadntoast

Bronze

Post by teaadntoast » Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:24 am

bella16 wrote: Thanks. I'm sure I'll survive though! My dad is a doctor and drives 2hrs one way to get to work. I never missed any bread on my table :wink:
Hey, if you're up for it, then go forth and commute!

A friend of mine living just south of GSU commuted to Athens a few times a week for two years to complete her EdS and wasn't too stressed by it. And this was on top of a full time teaching job.

(Besides, they don't call 316 the Athens Autobahn for nothing.)
Last edited by teaadntoast on Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

jennylynn

Bronze

Post by jennylynn » Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:25 am

Did any of you get notified of your acceptance by way of the UGA status checker? I thought that was strange...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bella16

Bronze

Post by bella16 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:27 pm

teaadntoast wrote:
bella16 wrote: Thanks. I'm sure I'll survive though! My dad is a doctor and drives 2hrs one way to get to work. I never missed any bread on my table :wink:

A friend of mine living just south of GSU commuted to Athens a few times a week for two years to complete her EdS and wasn't too stressed by it. And this was on top of a full time teaching job.

Awesome! I lived in Germany for 3 years so anything remotely close to an Autobahn is alright by me! Yeah I go to GSU and live 11 miles north of Atl. A girl at my apartment complex goes to UGA and commutes everyday. She says it takes her 45min since she's been doing it so long. I only have to do it for a year until I turn 23 and get the pell grant.

OssumPossum

New

Post by OssumPossum » Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:36 pm

Somebody getting from Atlanta to Athens in 45 minutes... not sure I believe :[ I think without traffic, you're looking at an hour at best if you're on 85/285. Also, driving 2 hours/day 5 days a week will probably run you about $150-200 a month, and you can get good housing in athens for $300... Not to mention the 2 hours/day of life you'll be missing (which interferes with study time...) I just really couldn't justify it. In fact, I think it would be difficult to ever justify commuting from almost anywhere to athens... living in athens is dirt cheap. I had an apartment with 1 roommate and a bus that went directly to the law school for $295/mo.

jennylynn

Bronze

Post by jennylynn » Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:08 pm

bella16 wrote:
teaadntoast wrote:

Awesome! I lived in Germany for 3 years so anything remotely close to an Autobahn is alright by me! Yeah I go to GSU and live 11 miles north of Atl. A girl at my apartment complex goes to UGA and commutes everyday. She says it takes her 45min since she's been doing it so long. I only have to do it for a year until I turn 23 and get the pell grant.

I didn't think Pell covered anything except undergrad?

bella16

Bronze

Post by bella16 » Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:37 pm

OssumPossum wrote:Somebody getting from Atlanta to Athens in 45 minutes... not sure I believe :[ I think without traffic, you're looking at an hour at best if you're on 85/285. Also, driving 2 hours/day 5 days a week will probably run you about $150-200 a month, and you can get good housing in athens for $300... Not to mention the 2 hours/day of life you'll be missing (which interferes with study time...) I just really couldn't justify it. In fact, I think it would be difficult to ever justify commuting from almost anywhere to athens... living in athens is dirt cheap. I had an apartment with 1 roommate and a bus that went directly to the law school for $295/mo.
Will you sign the lease for me? B/c my dad isn't signing anymore leases and I don't have enough credit or make 3x the rent etc to get an apt on my own.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

tha trev

New

Post by tha trev » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:43 am

i posted this in the "in at UGA" thread, but i figured i'd post here too: i visited UGA yesterday, so if anyone has any questions or whatever, feel free to pm me or post here and i'll be happy to answer.

john titor

Bronze

Post by john titor » Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:44 pm

georgia 3L taking questions

john titor

Bronze

Post by john titor » Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:51 pm

nianlong wrote:Can anyone describe the political atmosphere at UGA Law? The student body being made up of 70-80% Georgia residents, I'm concerned that there will be a noticible conservative slant among students and even among faculty. Though I've heard Athens is a progressive city by Southern standards, having lived elsewhere in Georgia (not Atlanta) for many years, I can't help but be ambivalent in this respect. I'm just looking for ideological balance and diversity. Any thoughts?
The administration and leadership of the school is conservative. UGA has newt gingrich teaching a class this year and most of our guest speakers (judicial, etc) are conservative. justice thomas pops in every year or so (shudder). The faculty, like at almost every law school in the country, is noticeably liberal. The student body generally keeps political views under wraps but there is a strong conservative presence and the "out" liberal students tend to stick together. Overall, I would say that the student body leans to the right politically.

john titor

Bronze

Post by john titor » Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:07 pm

fergi85 wrote:1- Does anyone know how portable a UGA law degree is?
2- Does anyone know how likely a 1L chances are at receiving a paid summer associate position during their first summer?

1 - not very portable. A UGA degree will be fine if you are looking in georgia. but even in other southeastern states like virginia, NC, SC, and FL they will invariably ask you "why go to law school in Georgia when you want to work ______?" However, this is pretty much true of all public state universities. Don't expect to be able to move anywhere outside the southeast without some pretty significant personal connections to the new state. dont even think about west coast.

2 - about 2 in 10, maybe 1 in 10 this year. The only firms that pay 1L summer associates are big firms, and big firms only take top 10% from UGA, top 20% at the most. At UGA you will also not receive first year grades until after the whole year is over, so firms will be making decisions about 1L summer hiring based on your grade in one class (criminal law) and estimates of section rank from professors.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jennylynn

Bronze

Post by jennylynn » Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:59 pm

What is the atmosphere like? Do people generally like each other or do they want to off their classmates?

nianlong

New

Post by nianlong » Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:19 pm

1 - not very portable. A UGA degree will be fine if you are looking in georgia. but even in other southeastern states like virginia, NC, SC, and FL they will invariably ask you "why go to law school in Georgia when you want to work ______?" However, this is pretty much true of all public state universities. Don't expect to be able to move anywhere outside the southeast without some pretty significant personal connections to the new state. dont even think about west coast.
This is the kind of thing that worries me about UGA. I wouldn't mind working in Atlanta for a few years coming out of school, by I am paranoid about being "stuck" in Georgia forever, or the South for that matter. You would think that portability would increase greatly once some good legal experience is gained, but people on this board tend to suggest that regional schools like UGA are geographically constricting in the long term as well. I hope this is not the case. Any thoughts?

jennylynn

Bronze

Post by jennylynn » Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:39 pm

I would think that once you have good work experience under your belt that your school wouldn't matter any where near as much.

john titor

Bronze

Post by john titor » Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:06 pm

in my experience and going by what other more seasoned lawyers have told me, it really doesnt matter after youve been working for a while. once you have the experience that comes with your first job with you, your geographic range becomes a lot more flexible.

But it does factor for the first job, which is pretty important. one of the things that frustrates me about being a lawyer is the fact that there are 50 different bar exams. Im not a person of great means so taking a bar exam (and all of the C&F fees and registration costs, etc) is an expensive prospect for me. I went to UGA for law school but I am from another southeastern state, where I went to undergrad. I didnt like having to choose between taking the GA bar and my home state. with no job lined up in Georgia and no connections here to speak of besides my LS degree, it just seemed like too great of a risk and look around for a job that may or may not be there. Im moving back to my home state where I will take the bar, have better connections, etc. However, I've talked to some people about the NC job search and I've been told that choosing to go to law school outside of NC will hurt me somewhat, especially when looking for jobs before getting bar results back. Just food for thought. I was open and amenable to practicing in Georgia, however my grades are pretty horrible (3.0 GPA, bottom 50%). Not being from Georgia and having no connections to speak of, the georgia job search did not turn out well.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

tha trev

New

Post by tha trev » Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:54 pm

what was your overall impression of your education at UGA?

did you feel like you got a great law school education?

what would you do differently if you could start over?

also, how is the job search going for your classmates this year?

and what did you do for your summers while you were at UGA?

MHP

New

Post by MHP » Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:43 pm

john titor-- I talked to a bunch of 3Ls this fall (at a party, a chili cookoff here in Athens, were you there?) and they seemed to have a similar take as do you. It's interesting to me because I have talked to some 1Ls during my application process who have obviously only been through a few months of Georgia Law and they seemed very gung-ho about the whole thing. The 3Ls I know and have conversed with left me with the same sentiment: if you are not 100% sure that you want to stay in Georgia, it might be a safer choice to attend a more 'national', rather than 'regional' school. I actually have thought about looking for work in NC post law school, so you are in what could forseeably be my future situation (should I decide to attend).

Georgia Law is great for the price, but I am worried about the mobility. (I was really worried after the chili party, as there was a lot more said that made me nervous about the whole thing...about not being able to teach law, about the competitiveness of the student body.) If you could go back and do it again, would you choice a T6 and mega debt or UGA on the cheap? Hypothetically, of course. Not that that is my exact situation or anything. :wink:

nkrienke32

New

Post by nkrienke32 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:13 pm

What percentage of the students are from Georgia? the Southeast?

nianlong

New

Post by nianlong » Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:43 pm

Between 75-80% from Georgia.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”