University of Georgia School of Law Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
john titor

Bronze

Re: University of Georgia School of Law

Post by john titor » Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:42 pm

Last edited by john titor on Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

tha trev

New

Post by tha trev » Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:39 pm

what do you mean you have to ask for it? what makes you think that will work?

cake

New

Post by cake » Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:52 pm

Well, I am already in-state, but the finaid website says I still have two options:
School of Law Scholarships
School of Law scholarships are made available through endowments and gifts provided by generous alumni and friends of the law school. They are awarded based on academic abilities, potential for the study of law and other considerations.

University of Georgia Law Scholars Program
Students who receive full tuition scholarships are designated University of Georgia Law Scholars. These merit scholarships are for Georgia residents whose LSAT scores and academic records show exceptional promise for distinction in the study of law. For information about these scholarships interested applicants should contact Ramsey Bridges, Assistant Director of Law Admissions, at rhb@uga.edu.

Did you know anyone that received either, or can you give provide any tips when discussing the latter?

Thanks!

mathec1

New

Post by mathec1 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:33 pm

john titor wrote:If you have good numbers, they may award you an "in-state equalization" scholarship for your first year, but you have to ask for it!
Hmm. You don't "have to ask" for these. Last year I was admitted by phone, and then called the next morning and offered one of the TES. I never asked. I think Titor was trying to get at the fact that funding is tight these days. You may have to spend some time on the phone with admissions to let them know what you need.

I was also offered a TES with numbers around median. Without asking.
Last edited by mathec1 on Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mathec1

New

Post by mathec1 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:49 pm

Last edited by mathec1 on Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bella16

Bronze

Post by bella16 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:39 pm

mathec1 wrote:
cake wrote:Well, I am already in-state, but the finaid website says I still have two options:
School of Law Scholarships
School of Law scholarships are made available through endowments and gifts provided by generous alumni and friends of the law school. They are awarded based on academic abilities, potential for the study of law and other considerations.

University of Georgia Law Scholars Program
Students who receive full tuition scholarships are designated University of Georgia Law Scholars. These merit scholarships are for Georgia residents whose LSAT scores and academic records show exceptional promise for distinction in the study of law. For information about these scholarships interested applicants should contact Ramsey Bridges, Assistant Director of Law Admissions, at rhb@uga.edu.

Did you know anyone that received either, or can you give provide any tips when discussing the latter?

Thanks!
I know people who received each of these.

The endowment scholarships are kind of neat. One of them, for example, is for a student who expresses interest in working in a state other than Georgia. Some (or many) of the sponsors have certain requests that the law school give their scholarship to a candidate that meets certain criterion. However, I'm not sure how closely the law school abides by such requests. One guy I know, for example, has no interest in the basis of his sponsorship. In fact, I was baffled as to why it was awarded to him. In the end these are probably awarded in ways not a whole lot differently than the rest.

The other scholarships are just like the above except you get a fancy name for it. It just seems to differentiate those who received the "full" from the "partial" scholarships. This I could be wrong on. My information here is trickled through those who are courteous enough to avoid talking about their accolades. I wish I could give you information as to how to increase your chances of obtaining one. There may be additional requirements. Ramsey is nice. Holler at her.

One thing that seems clear is that scholarship recipients (excluding TES recipients) have to keep a loose contact with certain alumni and sponsors. This contact may consist of a thank you letter and a few emails. It may end up being a mentorship that leads to job opportunities. It depends on what you make of it. Either way, these things are great to have on a number of levels.
Hey mathec1, I received one of those endowment scholarships and when I read over it again, I saw that part about keeping in contact with the sponsor. I was wondering what that would entail but when you mention how it could lead to a mentorship that doesn't sound like too much to ask! Thanks for the info. Do you know anything about the public interest conference thing coming up in Feb? It says they put you up with law students and stuff. Any info on the conference mucho appreciated :)

mathec1

New

Post by mathec1 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:18 pm

Last edited by mathec1 on Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nianlong

New

Post by nianlong » Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:35 am

Hey mathec1, what's your opinion of a UGA JD's mobility. I'd rather not stay in the South forever, ya know?

john titor

Bronze

Post by john titor » Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:21 pm

Last edited by john titor on Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

john titor

Bronze

Post by john titor » Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:28 pm

Last edited by john titor on Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

mathec1

New

Post by mathec1 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:19 pm

:o
Last edited by mathec1 on Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

john titor

Bronze

Post by john titor » Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:42 pm

Last edited by john titor on Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

mathec1

New

Post by mathec1 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:49 pm

Last edited by mathec1 on Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

tha trev

New

Post by tha trev » Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:10 pm

decided to finally post here trying to resurrect the thread from its dead-end.

hopefully we can get some good uga info brewing again...

though there are a couple of other hoppin' uga threads.

john titor

Bronze

Post by john titor » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:47 pm

what do you want to know?

texaslawyer

Bronze

Post by texaslawyer » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:52 pm

Georgia is a very good school and Athens is a pretty town. It does swing a huge bat in the Southeast. Also it would serve as an excellent entre into the legal community in Atlanta. That's an excellent area to begin practicing law.

Mr. Guppy

New

Post by Mr. Guppy » Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:00 pm

Hey John Titor if you're still around...

You've mentioned trying to get back to the NC market from UGA being somewhat hard. People ask why didn't you go to UNC. Was UNC an option for you? Did you consider Wake? If so, why did you choose Georgia?

Thanks

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

john titor

Bronze

Post by john titor » Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:44 pm

I applied to UNC but didn't get in. I applied to Wake Forest, got waitlisted, and then they phoned me sometime in june telling me that I was in and that I got a scholarship. Yeah, it was baffling to me as well. I passed on wake. I chose Georgia because I liked the area the school was in and cost is a huge issue for me, as I have been on my own financially since I was 18 and had some loans from college. It basically came down to WUSTL and UGA and I didn't like STL at all on my visit, so that was that.

Mr. Guppy

New

Post by Mr. Guppy » Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:11 pm

john titor wrote:I applied to UNC but didn't get in. I applied to Wake Forest, got waitlisted, and then they phoned me sometime in june telling me that I was in and that I got a scholarship. Yeah, it was baffling to me as well. I passed on wake. I chose Georgia because I liked the area the school was in and cost is a huge issue for me, as I have been on my own financially since I was 18 and had some loans from college. It basically came down to WUSTL and UGA and I didn't like STL at all on my visit, so that was that.
Thanks, I appreciate it. Georgia is definitely a good deal. I guess Wake's scholarship didn't make it competitive. I'm in a similar quandary, still waiting on factors to shake out. Thanks and good luck.

john titor

Bronze

Post by john titor » Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:14 pm

the scholly was decent, but by then it was already so late. I had assumed I was out at Wake and I had set my mind to going to georgia. I dont think I would have gone there anyway, however. I visited there when I was looking at colleges for undergrad and I got a really weird vibe from the campus. It was like a country club, but in a bad way. Kind of hard to explain.

Overall I am happy with my choice of UGA. I will admit that I wonder often what things would be like if I had gone to WUSTL, and I sometimes regret that decision. But not for too long, because I had really good profs at UGA and spending the last few years in athens has been just awesome.

tha trev

New

Post by tha trev » Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:58 pm

does anyone know what the grade curve at UGA is?? i have a scholarship which requires keeping a 2.7, and i just want to know what percent of the class that is...

thanks for the help.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

aguyingeorgia

Silver

Post by aguyingeorgia » Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:04 pm

--LinkRemoved--

There Trev. I wasn't too lazy in this thread to answer you.

In regards to keeping in touch about the scholarships, it isn't any big deal. You basically write a nice letter, keep in touch with whoever endowed it, etc.

Also, you people should maybe try to negotiate your scholarships if you didn't get as much as you'd hoped. Talk to Ramsey Bridges.

Finally, there is also a Georgia Law Scholars or some such that is separate from the original scholarship you get awarded... if you have a higher than 75th percentile LSAT or GPA, make sure you inquire, even though they typically will contact you. Can't hurt.

tha trev

New

Post by tha trev » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:09 pm

Last edited by tha trev on Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

texaslawyer

Bronze

Post by texaslawyer » Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:56 am

Tha trev way to shoot. Georgia will definitely open some doors for you. It's a very good school.

tha trev

New

Post by tha trev » Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:04 pm

texaslawyer wrote:Tha trev way to shoot. Georgia will definitely open some doors for you. It's a very good school.
thanks, i'm really excited about UGA. really lookin' forward to the fall!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”