MSU Rising 2L Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
sparty2L

New

MSU Rising 2L Taking Questions

Post by sparty2L » Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:06 pm

I see there is some interest about MSU on the boards and I am happy to answer any questions that you may have. Fire away!

transfer4545

New

Re: MSU Rising 2L Taking Questions

Post by transfer4545 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:07 pm

Bump. Go Green!

MSUPHL

Bronze

Post by MSUPHL » Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:18 pm

on the banks of the red cedar.... it is really fkin hot today

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:55 pm

HOw good of a ranking do I need to be in order to get a summer interneship somewhere in MI after 1L ( I will be going to MSU in the fall 2011- applied in march of this year got accepted, but decided to wait a year to visit the school first). I also would like to find some decent information on good apartment complexes, and areas to avoid- and check out... thanks!

pattymac

Bronze

Post by pattymac » Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:00 pm

How are the employment prospects looking?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sparty2L

New

Post by sparty2L » Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:07 pm

Everyone that I know that wanted a summer internship/externship has one so it really shouldn't be a problem. Career services makes a few presentations to each section and meets with you one-on-one in January to stress the importance of securing summer legal work and gives you realistic places to apply to.

On the other hand, finding a paid position is really difficult. I was in the top 5% of my class after first semester (still am after 2nd semester) and flooded the Michigan firms on NALP only to receive 2 call backs no acceptances. Luckily I was able to obtain a paid legal job in the $15-20/hour range but that is definitely more the exception rather than the rule.

In terms of housing, I live in an apartment complex 2 miles from campus that is EXCELLENT! 2 bedroom apartment that is $800 plus heat and water so I get by for less than $500/month. Totally quiet, mostly families and young professionals. Never had a noise problem.

PM me for more details.

sparty2L

New

Post by sparty2L » Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:16 pm

Being in the top 5%, I think that I have a decent shot at OCI. Heard from a rising 3L that OCI is "aimed primarily for 4.0 students" but I think this kid was median at best so take it for what it's worth. I was looking at the commitments for OCI and 2 of the top Grand Rapids firms have already committed as well as most of the top Detroit firms so I'm optimistic that I can procure a few interviews and woo them with my boyish good looks and charm...lol!

I think Honigman is on the list though and their 2010 SA class consists of all T1 students and the non-URMs are all from T10s. Hoping that if the firm takes the time to come to campus they will at least entertain the thought of hiring an MSU student.

As with all TTT schools, however, if you're outside the Top 10% you will have to do a lot of legwork to get meaningful employment but it can be done.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:48 pm

thanks for all of the info... I am planning on working a non paying summer internships throughout the summers ( Its safer to assume you are not going to get paid- one of the resons why I decided to wait a year, so I can save for the summers). DO you think it would be possible to work ( wait tables, or something similar for fun and food money) and do the summer internships over summers??

Also, how competitive are most students at MSU? ARe they snoobish and self centered, or laid back but determined? WOuld you recommend getting a study group or study alone?

sparty2L

New

Post by sparty2L » Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:51 pm

You will definitely be able to work a side-job over the summer. To get academic creidt for the externships you only have to work 168 hours during the summer which breaks down to less than 20/hrs a week.

It's hard to generalize about a pool of 270 students but for the most part the students are friendly and willing to help out. However, because of the curve and bleak job prospects facing all law students at almost every school, most students seem to put in the work for the exams.

The whole group v studying alone is a personal preference. I tend to not work very effectively in a group setting (too much off-topic conversations) so I study 95% of the time by myself.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”