Northwestern 2L taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
sidgey

Bronze

Re: Northwestern 2L taking questions

Post by sidgey » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:16 pm

probably for the best

Sauer Grapes

Silver

Post by Sauer Grapes » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:56 pm

Last edited by Sauer Grapes on Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:02 am

sidgey wrote:I'd like to welcome everyone to the listserv!

And Corsair, I'm a CHICK not a DUDE. Sheesh.
FYI, Corsair, she's a hot chick too. ;)

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:49 am

boo jersey shore wrote:
rayiner wrote:

If you and I don't have a drink before orientation, violence will ensue.
:lol:

Get in touch when you get back from NYC. ;)

Sauer Grapes

Silver

Post by Sauer Grapes » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:42 am

rayiner wrote:
boo jersey shore wrote:
rayiner wrote:

If you and I don't have a drink before orientation, violence will ensue.
:lol:

Get in touch when you get back from NYC. ;)
How's OCI going?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:56 am

I'll be applying this fall without any work experience, and I was wondering if you had any tips for my interview.

I have worked my way through college, I'm generally seen as very mature, and I interview well, but I just want to make sure I give off the best impression possible during my interview since I don't have any work experience.

Thanks in advance!

(Also, I hope that doesn't sound pretentious, I just mean that people usually think I'm older than I am and I'm not really the typical fun-loving undergrad, which is why Northwestern's more professional and slightly older student body really appeals to me.)

sidgey

Bronze

Post by sidgey » Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:22 pm

How's OCI going?
Exhausting. How's it going for you?

sidgey

Bronze

Post by sidgey » Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:23 pm

eskimo wrote:I'll be applying this fall without any work experience, and I was wondering if you had any tips for my interview.

I have worked my way through college, I'm generally seen as very mature, and I interview well, but I just want to make sure I give off the best impression possible during my interview since I don't have any work experience.

Thanks in advance!

(Also, I hope that doesn't sound pretentious, I just mean that people usually think I'm older than I am and I'm not really the typical fun-loving undergrad, which is why Northwestern's more professional and slightly older student body really appeals to me.)
It sounds like you're a good candidate for not having any experience. Though I haven't known anyone to get in out of undergrad unless they got a full scholly cuz their academic record was so outstanding.

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:11 pm

sidgey wrote:
eskimo wrote:I'll be applying this fall without any work experience, and I was wondering if you had any tips for my interview.

Thanks in advance!

It sounds like you're a good candidate for not having any experience. Though I haven't known anyone to get in out of undergrad unless they got a full scholly cuz their academic record was so outstanding.
Thanks! I know sometimes they offer admission if you defer, and I'd be fine with that, too. I just really hope to attend school and eventually practice in Chicago, and NU is kind of a dream school.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Sauer Grapes

Silver

Post by Sauer Grapes » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:32 pm

sidgey wrote:
How's OCI going?
I've only had 4 so far. No callbacks yet, but I think today went fairly well. We'll see though.

hmlee

Bronze

Post by hmlee » Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:11 pm

sidgey wrote:
How's OCI going?
So agreed.

sidgey

Bronze

Post by sidgey » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:17 am

@Sauer Grapes: I heard Craig stabbed someone in the eye... is that true?!

Sauer Grapes

Silver

Post by Sauer Grapes » Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:05 pm

sidgey wrote:@Sauer Grapes: I heard Craig stabbed someone in the eye... is that true?!
Haha... I think I should let the stories stay a mystery so you don't know which ones are true and which ones are rumors. I will say that, if he ever did stab someone in the eye (or any other crazy story), it would have only been for a very good reason. Despite the rumors, he's not a violent person at all.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

username9

New

Post by username9 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:27 pm

Need help from Northwestern Student.

I have a prof this semester who previously taught at Northwestern. The ONLY previous exam I could find is in the Northwestern databank and is password protected. Please pm me if you can help. Thanks!

thisiswater1488

New

Post by thisiswater1488 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:58 pm

Last edited by thisiswater1488 on Mon May 23, 2011 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thesybarite

Bronze

Post by thesybarite » Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:48 pm

Any advice you can give re the interview? I am interviewing off-campus in a couple of weeks.

Miranda 18

New

Post by Miranda 18 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:42 pm

I just set up my interview with an NU alumni but I am a bit concerned. It seems as though most students with WE have a background in business. Does anyone know of any students who had WE in non-profit or government work before they law school? I feel as though my WE is extensive but I am not sure it will compare to others who are applying who worked for businesses as analysts or accountants.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

yellowjacket2012

Bronze

Post by yellowjacket2012 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:47 pm

Miranda 18 wrote:I just set up my interview with an NU alumni but I am a bit concerned. It seems as though most students with WE have a background in business. Does anyone know of any students who had WE in non-profit or government work before they law school? I feel as though my WE is extensive but I am not sure it will compare to others who are applying who worked for businesses as analysts or accountants.
I had zero experience in business of any sort, I just did a Masters in engineering and was admitted last year.

angelchild03

New

Post by angelchild03 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:57 pm

Miranda 18 wrote:I just set up my interview with an NU alumni but I am a bit concerned. It seems as though most students with WE have a background in business. Does anyone know of any students who had WE in non-profit or government work before they law school? I feel as though my WE is extensive but I am not sure it will compare to others who are applying who worked for businesses as analysts or accountants.
There are people at NU with a background in nonprofit (myself included)...we're not in the majority, but we're here.

YellowCake

New

Post by YellowCake » Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:22 am

I'm from the not for profit world, and I'm here. There are a ton of teach for america people as well.

Miranda 18

New

Post by Miranda 18 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:23 am

Do you think it puts you at a disadvantage in terms of jobs compared to your classmates? It seems because most students at NU have work experience those who don't will seem to have less of an edge, do you think that's a fair statement or would you say if one does well at Northwestern they have a equal chance at job opportunities?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

tome

Bronze

Post by tome » Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:32 am

Miranda 18 wrote:Do you think it puts you at a disadvantage in terms of jobs compared to your classmates? It seems because most students at NU have work experience those who don't will seem to have less of an edge, do you think that's a fair statement or would you say if one does well at Northwestern they have a equal chance at job opportunities?

I think having no work experience probably sticks out a bit more because at OCI you will be juxtaposed with people with decent work experience. That being said, most people do not really have great work experience--at least not the experience that law firms really value. The main advantage is people are slightly older and more mature.

That being said, I did fine with zero work experience, and the person I know who did the best at OCI had 1 year of nothing work experience.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:54 pm

Did anyone have Redish for Civ Pro?

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:14 pm

Miranda 18 wrote:Do you think it puts you at a disadvantage in terms of jobs compared to your classmates? It seems because most students at NU have work experience those who don't will seem to have less of an edge, do you think that's a fair statement or would you say if one does well at Northwestern they have a equal chance at job opportunities?
It depends on your grades. The top grade-sensitive firms will hire you work experience or not. However, the people pulling V50s from below median are doing so based largely on their work experience.

Miranda 18

New

Post by Miranda 18 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:10 pm

rayiner wrote:
It depends on your grades. The top grade-sensitive firms will hire you work experience or not. However, the people pulling V50s from below median are doing so based largely on their work experience.

Thanks!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”