2L Charlotte law taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
StudentAthlete

New

2L Charlotte law taking questions

Post by StudentAthlete » Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:03 am

I erred on the side that whilst my school is certainly not a TLS, and at this point far from it, I'm sure there are people who were like me intrigued by a decent scholarship offer and wondered if this school was: legitimate, how long until full ABA approv., any job prospectives post-grad, quality of teaching, etc.

If there are any questions, save for snide remarks from the elitest faction which I'm sure there will be, I would love to (do my best) to try to answer them.

Danteshek

Gold

Re: 2L Charlotte law taking questions

Post by Danteshek » Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:07 am

How do you feel about the fact that your tuition dollars show up on a corporate income statement and balance sheet?

StudentAthlete

New

Post by StudentAthlete » Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:14 am

Danteshek wrote:How do you feel about the fact that your tuition dollars show up on a corporate income statement and balance sheet?
Snide remark #1.
Truthfully, if I was as idealistic and interested in public interest law whereby I'm assuming you fall into that category, I would have went to obtain a MS in social work and re-read Scott Turow's 1L everynight before bed to help my self-loathe. However, that is not the case.

I have lived in Charlotte for the past ten years and throughly enjoy the city. My family is here, and I believe the school for me was a perfect fit.
The school, albeit new, is making strides to establish itself within the community. The city of Charlotte has no other law schools within a 90 mile radius (USC, Wake, etc.)

Contingent upon your personal situation, which weighs into every rational person's brain, the school while for-profit or not, is offering a good legal education.

If there are legitimate questions regarding the school I would love to answer them. However, any more of the aforementioned, please refrain. Thanks! :)

** And Danteshek, I pay hardly anything to go here so its irrelevant.

nfriend

New

Post by nfriend » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:24 pm

I am considering CharlotteLaw based on scholarship and location.
How do you feel about the quality of the professors?
Also, understandably there will be a disadvantage for grads (especially given the current legal market) finding jobs, but do you feel that you are going to be prepared to enter that market?

I did very well in undergrad and an weary of going to a new school with provisional accreditation and no alumni. I would be starting in the Fall of 2010.

Also, why is for-profit such an evil thing?

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:34 pm

What percentage of gradating 3Ls have secured legal employment?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:33 am

OP's IP matches several other accounts, and the odd writing style makes me suggest that this is a flame. I'll leave it unlocked in case this either is real or will become entertaining, but post ITT at your own risk and with a healthy dose of skepticism.

Philo38

Bronze

Post by Philo38 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:44 am

nfriend wrote:I am considering CharlotteLaw based on scholarship and location.
Also, understandably there will be a disadvantage for grads (especially given the current legal market) finding jobs, but do you feel that you are going to be prepared to enter that market?

I did very well in undergrad and an weary of going to a new school with provisional accreditation and no alumni. I would be starting in the Fall of 2010.

Chances this is the OP? Chances this is some guy interested in CharlotteLaw sitting on this forum waiting for somebody to bring it up?

nfriend

New

Post by nfriend » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:47 am

Philo38 wrote:

Chances this is the OP? Chances this is some guy interested in CharlotteLaw sitting on this forum waiting for somebody to bring it up?

Found the original posting in a google search. Did not figure it for a bogus post.

StudentAthlete

New

Post by StudentAthlete » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:30 pm

Sorry for the delayed response. Obviously making a comparison with other schools would be impossible but I am very satisfied, and let me tell you why. While their degrees are impressive (Ivy's, UVA, Duke, etc) they have all practical experience in the areas of which they teach. A modern trend of Law Profs being in administration realms and academics solely doesn't reign true at CLS. There's also a plus to this besides the fact that the people teaching you were lawyers and not solely academics- Internship opportunities.
After establishign repore with my K prof, he helped land me an internship at a big east-coast firm after my 1L. And since I didnt go to Duke or Wake or the big guys, it makes it more remarkable.

CLS is provisionally approved and is (From what I'm told) probably going to secure full ABA approv. by mid 2011. Additionally, while the Bar passage rate was low (70s), it was the 1st time a CLS class took the bar and I think deserves some leeway on that.

Employment post-mat (which mind you the first class recently gradauted) was in the 90's%.

I think its a good investment for another reason- contingent upon your undergrad performance, you can get some really nice scholarships.
I'm getting one myself, and while the reputation of CLS has yet to get off the ground, leaving law school with no debt should be something to heavily consider.

Now, I'm only a 2L so I don't know how it will be in 2 years as far as how well I'll feel prepared, but thus far, and going solely on my recent internship, a lot of the doctrine has been applicable in the internship I was just in, as well as proficiency in briefs and motion drafting.

As for for-profit being evil, personally I think its just the idealistic left-wingers who think anything outside of the public interest sector is using their JD for the "wrong purposes", in essence, there's no merit to it besides the school is obviously lower ranked.

And I actually go to Charlotte law school, not sure why anybody would waste a thread but evidently I'm hopelessly naive

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

StudentAthlete

New

Post by StudentAthlete » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:32 pm

SoftBoiledLife wrote:OP's IP matches several other accounts, and the odd writing style makes me suggest that this is a flame. I'll leave it unlocked in case this either is real or will become entertaining, but post ITT at your own risk and with a healthy dose of skepticism.
Not sure if your referring to me? But this isn't a flame. I apologize if people not within the T-14's are not allowed to make a thread about their school.

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:34 pm

CLS huh?

The writing above is atrocious.

It's "rapport."
Last edited by Danteshek on Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

StudentAthlete

New

Post by StudentAthlete » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:36 pm

Danteshek wrote:CLS huh?

The writing above is atrocious for a law student.

Please reserve your snide remarks moron, they're unwelcome.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:37 pm

rad law wrote:What percentage of gradating 3Ls have secured legal employment?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

merichard87

Silver

Post by merichard87 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:38 pm

StudentAthlete wrote:
SoftBoiledLife wrote:OP's IP matches several other accounts, and the odd writing style makes me suggest that this is a flame. I'll leave it unlocked in case this either is real or will become entertaining, but post ITT at your own risk and with a healthy dose of skepticism.
Not sure if your referring to me? But this isn't a flame. I apologize if people not within the T-14's are not allowed to make a thread about their school.

It's not about your school not being T-14, they are suggesting that you are making all this up since your IP address matches several other usernames on file.

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:41 pm

StudentAthlete wrote:
Danteshek wrote:CLS huh?

The writing above is atrocious for a law student.

Please reserve your snide remarks moron, they're unwelcome.
You're in denial.

StudentAthlete

New

Post by StudentAthlete » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:43 pm

merichard87 wrote:
StudentAthlete wrote:

It's not about your school not being T-14, they are suggesting that you are making all this up since your IP address matches several other usernames on file.
Not sure how that is possible, this is the only name I have. Obviously this is the internet and people lie (I concede), but oh well.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:48 pm

rad law wrote:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

dukelawguy144

Bronze

Post by dukelawguy144 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:50 pm

rad law wrote:
rad law wrote:
Seriously we need to know. I bet the answer is like 10%, and the rest got doc reviews

StudentAthlete

New

Post by StudentAthlete » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:03 pm

dukelawguy144 wrote:
rad law wrote:
rad law wrote:
Seriously we need to know. I bet the answer is like 10%, and the rest got doc reviews
Sigh, someone just close this threat. This got out of hand because of a few elitests.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:06 pm

StudentAthlete wrote:
Sigh, someone just close this threat. This got out of hand because of a few elitests.
We're not elitist, we're pro jobs. The people who hire are generally elitist.

HTH

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:10 pm

StudentAthlete wrote:
dukelawguy144 wrote:
rad law wrote:
Sigh, someone just close this threat. This got out of hand because of a few elitests.[/quote]

Close the thread? Why? This is a legitimate question.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

StudentAthlete

New

Post by StudentAthlete » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:33 pm

No, not your questions. The % of recent grads is difficult to estimate because CLS just graduated its first class within the past year.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:36 pm

StudentAthlete wrote:No, not your questions. The % of recent grads is difficult to estimate because CLS just graduated its first class within the past year.
So how many of them got legal jobs? And by legal I mean as lawyers, not legal assistants, paralegals, etc. And by jobs for the purposes of this discussion imply wages or a salary.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:37 pm

rad law wrote:
StudentAthlete wrote:No, not your questions. The % of recent grads is difficult to estimate because CLS just graduated its first class within the past year.
So how many of them got legal jobs? And by legal I mean as lawyers, not legal assistants, paralegals, etc. And by jobs for the purposes of this discussion imply wages or a salary.
ELITIST!!!!

StudentAthlete

New

Post by StudentAthlete » Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:06 pm

From what the admissions dept. sent us in an e-mail- since last years bar takers 11 months ago- 84%.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”