Law School move-in expenses Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
rundoxierun

Gold

Law School move-in expenses

Post by rundoxierun » Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:19 pm

There is a good chance I will be moving to law school with a significant other to whom Im not married. This removes the possibility of school provided housing at a lot of schools since I will need housing year round and she will not be a student. Due to this, Im trying to get an idea on move-in expenses at certain schools that dont cater to my housing needs. Anyone able to help me out with this?? I've never lived in an off-campus situation so I have no idea.

The schools I am applying to, and would run into this problem at, are:

Univ. of Chicago(not clear if they allow single students to share apartments with non-students)
Univ. of Michigan
UC-Berk
Duke
Vandy

Thanks to anyone that can help.

entrechatsix

Bronze

Re: Law School move-in expenses

Post by entrechatsix » Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:40 pm

do you mean the expenses of moving your stuff or how much rent will cost?

rundoxierun

Gold

Post by rundoxierun » Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:56 pm

rent, utility turn on, deposits, etc. whatever it takes to get into an apartment (not including moving since that obviously varies.

Great Satchmo

Silver

Post by Great Satchmo » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:02 pm

The schools, if you are looking off-campus, will all be the same aside from the amount of rent you can expect to pay.

If you have crappy credit, you may need to make a deposit on your utilities...but I don't think that happens all that often.

Otherwise, usually to move in to a place you pay first month's rent and security deposit (which I usually figure is about the amount of a month's rent, depending on the place).

I've seen a lot of places that require first + last months' rent, and security deposit but I seem to remember hearing that was a no-no in CA.

rundoxierun

Gold

Post by rundoxierun » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:23 pm

Great Satchmo wrote:The schools, if you are looking off-campus, will all be the same aside from the amount of rent you can expect to pay.

If you have crappy credit, you may need to make a deposit on your utilities...but I don't think that happens all that often.

Otherwise, usually to move in to a place you pay first month's rent and security deposit (which I usually figure is about the amount of a month's rent, depending on the place).

I've seen a lot of places that require first + last months' rent, and security deposit but I seem to remember hearing that was a no-no in CA.
hmm.. first month, last month, and security deposit. So around 3,300 for an 1,100 dollar apt. Thats encouraging, Im planning on trying to put 4,000 aside from my summer internship.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”