UMN 1L Taking Questions [Such as You Have Provided] Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
OG Loc

Bronze

Re: UMN 1L Taking Questions [Such as You Have Provided]

Post by OG Loc » Wed May 12, 2010 4:28 pm

Learning Hand wrote:
OG Loc wrote:Hi! Probably coming to UMN this fall. What has been your experience with career services? Their presentation at ASW was encouraging - they seem like they have a plan and are pretty on the ball...just wondering what the students think. Thanks!
Sorry for the late response. Last week of finals. The truth is I didn't have much experience with career services. We do have a more or less required meeting with our career counselor, who may suggest how to improve one's resume and land a job outside of the typical UMN market (Northern Midwest). I believe CPDC offers mock interviews throughout Spring semester, and they send out a newsletter every week notifying students of internship opportunities and Symplicity updates (the school's legal online job database). I have had responsive emails with one exception, which I had sent to the CPDC director before attending UMN.

I'll try and talk to some upperclassmen about their experiences and get back to you on this. My gut feeling is that UMN career services was horrendous prior to Dean Wippman's arrival. Since then, it has undergone substantial personnel changes. I expect things will only improve. The important thing to remember is that, notwithstanding grades and the doors that may open and shut with them, each student has a lot of control over their career. Tell them what you want or are interested in, and perhaps they can provide resources or access to other school's job banks. Career services will point you in the right direction, but in this economy it's more important than ever to take the proper initiative. I would recommend using career services as one conduit--not a vehicle--for finding a job.
Thanks. Good luck on finals.

OG Loc

Bronze

Post by OG Loc » Thu May 13, 2010 1:30 pm

Couple other things for whenever you have time, LH: Are the exams at U of M open note/outline or closed? And is there an exam bank for students to access professors' past exams? Thank you...

Learning Hand

New

Post by Learning Hand » Thu May 13, 2010 5:46 pm

OG Loc wrote:Couple other things for whenever you have time, LH: Are the exams at U of M open note/outline or closed? And is there an exam bank for students to access professors' past exams? Thank you...
Depends on the professor. Some allow any aids that aren't sentient. Other profs require no aids at all. And yes. Most professors will send you some emails with sample exams from previous years or keep some available in an online reserve accessible through the law library website.

jayn3

Silver

Re: UMN 1L Taking Questions . . .

Post by jayn3 » Fri May 14, 2010 10:45 am

Learning Hand wrote:
How is the gym?
The gym is a good gym. Racquetball courts, ellipticals, treadmills, free weights, etc. I believe it's three or four floors, and it's usually packed with taut undergraduate bodies. I don't know about mornings, but in the afternoons you'll likely encounter a 45-min to one-hour wait list to use any tread mills or ellipticals. I find it tolerable if you bring something to read.
is it possible to get a gym pass/membership the summer before? if not, do you recommend any other gyms in the area?

uofmsbiggestfan

New

Post by uofmsbiggestfan » Mon May 17, 2010 12:52 pm

Do you know anything about the Gamma Eta Gamma House for law students? I'm not sure I want to live in Dinkytown, but the concept seems pretty cool.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

NC07

New

Post by NC07 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:10 am

I'd love to learn about the Gamma eta house, too. Any info would be great. I visited the blog, but first-hand information is welcome.

renegade811

New

Post by renegade811 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:55 pm

To what degree do you feel that you have to compete for stuff with undergrads, given how large of a school UMN is?

And I realize that,as you've alluded to before, you don't have all the information on employment information, but hopefully you'll be able to help. Obviously UMN places a lot of people in jobs in and around Minnesota itself, but how good would you estimate it is in terms of placing people in other regions?

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:57 pm

Anyone still checking on this thread?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”