UMN 1L Taking Questions [Such as You Have Provided] Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Learning Hand

New

UMN 1L Taking Questions [Such as You Have Provided]

Post by Learning Hand » Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:38 pm

Shoot.

Last edited by Learning Hand on Wed May 05, 2010 4:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Teoeo

Silver

Re: UMN 1L Taking Questions . . .

Post by Teoeo » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:09 pm

Do you have easy access to Al Franken?

Learning Hand

New

Post by Learning Hand » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:52 pm

Teoeo wrote:Do you have easy access to Al Franken?
I haven't flexed any muscle to get his ear, but I'm sure I could make something happen.

Teoeo

Silver

Post by Teoeo » Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:10 pm

Learning Hand wrote:
Teoeo wrote:Do you have easy access to Al Franken?
I haven't flexed any muscle to get his ear, but I'm sure I could make something happen.
<3

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:15 pm

Is the Minnesota market still good for UMN grads? A lot of these William Mitchell trolls keep saying that it is placing on par w/ UMN and that UMN grads are suffering just as much as the lower ranked students.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Learning Hand

New

Post by Learning Hand » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:02 pm

A'nold wrote:Is the Minnesota market still good for UMN grads? A lot of these William Mitchell trolls keep saying that it is placing on par w/ UMN and that UMN grads are suffering just as much as the lower ranked students.
I'm afraid I can't speak to the placement of UMN grads relative to those of Billy Mitchell. I imagine, but cannot confirm, that one's chances of getting a good job in Minnesota are better coming out of UMN than Billy Mitchell. Unless the trolls have information I don't, they're probably doing what trolls do. Billy Mitchell indeed has a solid reputation throughout the Twin Cities, and you'd be hard pressed to find someone speaking condescendingly of it. I do know that the Minnesota market, like other markets, is bad for just about everyone. UMN students are not exempt from the general rule. Here's the bad news that I know. Last year, the law school also provided roughly 30 graduating students (9 percent) facing unemployment 6-month, $5,000 work-study positions. The deal was mutually beneficial; students could get some experience and money in their pocket, and the law school could massage their statistics. When the dean was pressed for firmer numbers on the post-grad employment opportunities of last year's class during a recent State of the Law School address, he said he didn't have the numbers available. Basically, the writing was on the wall. Things are grim out there. However, students are still landing great jobs out of UMN. To its credit, the administration has been relatively candid about their graduates' situations, and appear to be making a sincere effort in getting the U through the frankly disappointing (to say the least) market realities.

illbakeyouacake

New

Post by illbakeyouacake » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:31 pm

if you had to wager a guess, what percentage of 3Ls do you think will have full-time law jobs at graduation? 70% ?
Last edited by illbakeyouacake on Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thomas Jefferson

Bronze

Post by Thomas Jefferson » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:44 pm

I'll be attending in the fall and am moving out to Minneapolis in June. I want to find a volunteer or internship gig of some sorts for the summer, perhaps with public defenders or something--really anything just to do something for some time over the summer, doesn't need to be a big thing (I intend to take it relatively easy before starting law school). Any suggestions?

Something of greater interest to everyone else: how have you and 1Ls you know faired thus far with securing something for the summer?

Learning Hand

New

Post by Learning Hand » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:43 pm

illbakeyouacake wrote:if you had to wager a guess, what percentage of 3Ls do you think will have full-time law jobs at graduation? 70% ?
I am completely unqualified to stipulate as to the employment prospects of 3Ls.
Thomas Jefferson wrote:I'll be attending in the fall and am moving out to Minneapolis in June. I want to find a volunteer or internship gig of some sorts for the summer, perhaps with public defenders or something--really anything just to do something for some time over the summer, doesn't need to be a big thing (I intend to take it relatively easy before starting law school). Any suggestions?

Something of greater interest to everyone else: how have you and 1Ls you know faired thus far with securing something for the summer?
Do you speak Spanish or Somali? Public interests groups can always use speakers fluent in these languages to do intakes and maintain contacts with clients. Below are a few places that might be able to find something for you to do.

Minnesota Board of Public Defense http://www.pubdef.state.mn.us/
Children's Law Center of Minnesota http://www.childrenslawcenter.org/
Immigrant Law Center of Minnesota http://www.immigrantlawcentermn.org/
Home Line (Landlord-Tenant Hotline) http://www.homelinemn.org/volunteering/ ... volunteer/ (they're doing trainings June 5th. I'm probably going to do this, so let me know if you decide to pick it up!)
Legal Aid Society of Minneapolis http://www.mylegalaid.org/work-here

Actually, here's a directory of various legal aid organizations in Minnesota.
--LinkRemoved--

1Ls, as far as I know, have done well picking up summer jobs: ACLU, biglaw, small law, public interest orgs., public defender's office, etc. Obviously, those at the top of the class will have access to coveted 1L summer associate positions at Dorsey, Faegre, etc. Those with connections to LA and Philly managed to get work back home. I do have summer employment. I'd rather not say what, for fear of outing myself. And I got the position despite the fact that I was completely unmotivated and slow with the application process. I hate nothing more than writing cover letters. Really, as long as you are diligent about applying for jobs, you should be able to find something.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

xanderdellus

Bronze

Post by xanderdellus » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:52 am

Very excited to start in the fall. How is the gym? Do they offer classes (yoga, etc)? How far from the law School? Can my wife get a membership to it?

How many hours do you work outside of class?

Which 1L classes are the real bears?

Thanks for helping out.

Learning Hand

New

Post by Learning Hand » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:36 am

xanderdellus wrote:Very excited to start in the fall.
Excited to have you.
How is the gym?
The gym is a good gym. Racquetball courts, ellipticals, treadmills, free weights, etc. I believe it's three or four floors, and it's usually packed with taut undergraduate bodies. I don't know about mornings, but in the afternoons you'll likely encounter a 45-min to one-hour wait list to use any tread mills or ellipticals. I find it tolerable if you bring something to read.
Do they offer classes (yoga, etc)?
Yes. They offer a number of group fitness programs, including yoga. Here's a link. http://www.recsports.umn.edu/fitness/groupfitness.html

These classes are usually limited in size, and U of M has an enormous student body. So, you have to be an early bird and register quickly.
Can my wife get a membership to it?
Spouses and domestic partners of Department of Recreational Sports members are eligible for membership. The individual directly affiliated with the University of Minnesota (staff member, student, etc.) acts as sponsor to their spouse/domestic partner. Spouses and domestic partners are eligible to purchase the following memberships:
Spouses/Domestic Partners of Students, Faculty, Staff, Retirees and Affiliates
Semester: $125
Semester membership corresponds with the University academic calendar.
Six Months: $210
Does not correspond with the University academic calendar; expires six months from join date.
Annual: $340
Does not correspond with the University academic calendar; expires 12 months from join date.
Payroll Deduction: additional $12.85 per pay period
Available only to spouses/domestic partners of faculty/staff members with payroll deduction.

Sundays are bring-your-fam-to-the-gym-for-free day.
How far from the law School?
It's a bit of a walk--0.8 miles--if you go across the bridge connecting the east and west bank. The easiest way to get there is to hop on either a public transit bus (pass about $100 a semester) or a free campus connector.
Which 1L classes are the real bears?
Honestly, it depends upon one's ability to grasp the particular subject matter and your professor. Contracts was the most difficult class for me.

HTH

Thomas Jefferson

Bronze

Post by Thomas Jefferson » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:57 pm

Just want to thank you for the helpful responses. Looking forward to meeting you in the fall.

cr073137

Bronze

Post by cr073137 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:07 pm

How much of a big 10 college feel do you get in UMN, since it is in a big city, i m not sure what kind of atmosphere will it be.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Learning Hand

New

Post by Learning Hand » Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:49 pm

cr073137 wrote:How much of a big 10 college feel do you get in UMN, since it is in a big city, i m not sure what kind of atmosphere will it be.
Not much. The undergraduate campus is located on the East Bank across the Mississippi, while the law school and business school are located on the West Bank, closer to downtown. This division tends to dilute the Big 10 college feel you'd otherwise get. If the Big 10 feel is what you're looking for, I suggest renting/buying a place in Dinkytown if you don't mind the rowdiness. You'll also cop a feel of the Big 10 atmosphere if you attend undergraduate sporting events. But it is something you can opt out of if you like. And while the law school is close to downtown, one still feels a bit disconnected from it. Whether you want the atmosphere of a college town or the sophistication of city living, the area around UMN Law can provide. But, in my opinion, both are wanting on the law school grounds.

Speaking of the city: there's lot of excitement in the Minneapolis right now; the warehouse district, once a decrepit part of town, is now prime real estate with gorgeous apartments. The Minnesota Twins just got a new outdoor stadium, which has revitalized the city's northwestern blocks.

Learning Hand

New

Post by Learning Hand » Sat May 01, 2010 12:45 am

Oh yeah.
xanderdellus wrote:How many hours do you work outside of class?
I usually work from my last class--between 2pm and 4pm until 11pm, which is probably more than most of my peers. Last semester I studied so much it was actually counterproductive (get your sleep!). I don't consider myself among the lot of brilliant, hyper-productive minds, so it takes me longer to "get" things. Plus, I'm too scared to work less.

On that note, it's time for bed.

uofmsbiggestfan

New

Post by uofmsbiggestfan » Sat May 01, 2010 12:59 am

-After (almost) finishing your first year, any advice for summer preparations? Just relax and do nothing? Read?

-Do you have any regrets about something you did or did not do during your first year?

-How competitive is the environment at Minnesota from your (a student's) perspective? Is it as welcoming/inviting/supportive as the admissions staff claim?

-Considering I am moving from Florida to the frozen tundra, any suggestions/advice for keeping warm :)

I am really looking forward to attending next year and thank you for your time!

Hesiod

New

Post by Hesiod » Sat May 01, 2010 3:23 am

Where do you recommend living near campus? Are there any condo/apartments you would definitely steer people away from?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Learning Hand

New

Post by Learning Hand » Sat May 01, 2010 12:52 pm

uofmsbiggestfan wrote:-After (almost) finishing your first year, any advice for summer preparations? Just relax and do nothing? Read?
You won't be terribly disadvantaged if you do absolutely nothing this summer. But if you want to do something, I might recommend the following:

1. Read an E&E or two.

I think people could stand to benefit from reading an E&E or two, just to get familiar with the subject matter. It's helpful to come to a case or concept with some prior knowledge. You'll have a better understanding of why the editors chose that case.

2. Learn how to brief a case.

Delaney has a decent booklet on this. There are a couple of free things online.

3. Read Getting to Maybe. Skim through it again toward the end of the semester.
uofmsbiggestfan wrote:-Do you have any regrets about something you did or did not do during your first year?
I didn't get enough sleep. I didn't do as well as I would have liked on my first exam because of it.
uofmsbiggestfan wrote:-How competitive is the environment at Minnesota from your (a student's) perspective? Is it as welcoming/inviting/supportive as the admissions staff claim?
Inclusiveness and acts of generosity are not uncommon. For instance, last semester one student's computer fried two weeks before finals. Her notes, outlines--everything was gone. Word got around about this, and her section-mates rushed to her aid. They gave her their year's worth of notes, their outlines, etc. And I have received unsolicited class notes from at least one person when I've been absent. My friends all share outlines with each other without hesitation.

There will be smug, overconfident gunners whose only wish is to see their classmates crash and burn. There will be exclusive, self-aggrandizing study groups. Over all, though, people are just plain nice.

One thing we often here among alumni and Minneapolis attorneys is this: be friendly. The legal community is small. You see a lot of the same faces over again. Pardon my crudeness, but no one wants to help or work with the condescending and/or uncivil jackass.
uofmsbiggestfan wrote:-Considering I am moving from Florida to the frozen tundra, any suggestions/advice for keeping warm
Invest in a good parka, boots, wool socks, and perhaps some long underwear.
Hesiod wrote:Where do you recommend living near campus? Are there any condo/apartments you would definitely steer people away from?
This thread should answer most of your questions regarding living arrangements.
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... s#p1022143

Informative

Bronze

Post by Informative » Mon May 03, 2010 6:44 pm

A'nold wrote:Is the Minnesota market still good for UMN grads? A lot of these William Mitchell trolls keep saying that it is placing on par w/ UMN and that UMN grads are suffering just as much as the lower ranked students.
MN places significantly better than Mitchell, but then again, so does St. Thomas. Don't listen to the trolls of a school that was in the 4th tier only a year ago.

jayn3

Silver

Post by jayn3 » Mon May 03, 2010 9:01 pm

two questions:

1) i'm moving to minneapolis sometime in june....any suggestions for things i should do to get acquainted with the city while i still have some spare time? any logistical issues i should take care of before the school year starts beyond getting a bus pass, finding a nearby grocery store, etc.....

2) any suggestions for revamping my wardrobe? i.e., how soon will i need to have a closet full of business casual ready to go at any time? (i'm a girl, but i'm guessing guys might need to do some wardrobe readjustment too...)

xanderdellus

Bronze

Post by xanderdellus » Mon May 03, 2010 9:40 pm

Jayn - We must meet come Fall if you are as much of a Whedon fan as your 'tar suggests.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

MSP1

New

Post by MSP1 » Tue May 04, 2010 8:48 am

Informative wrote:
MN places significantly better than Mitchell, but then again, so does St. Thomas. Don't listen to the trolls of a school that was in the 4th tier only a year ago.
It's odd to see someone denounce trolling, but then watch him or her troll for another school in the same sentence.

What's even stranger is the logic used to trash WM. According to Informative (good name, by the way), schools should always be viewed the way they were at their absolute shittiest, despite any objective signs of improvement.

Here's the deal...it's final and everyone knows it: UMN > WM > UST > Hamline. This has been and will always be the case, IMHO. As to the real question, about the job market, no one has been spared. MN is worse than usual for all four schools, but most likely in descending degrees.

Learning Hand

New

Post by Learning Hand » Tue May 04, 2010 8:01 pm

jayn3 wrote:two questions:

1) i'm moving to minneapolis sometime in june....any suggestions for things i should do to get acquainted with the city while i still have some spare time? any logistical issues i should take care of before the school year starts beyond getting a bus pass, finding a nearby grocery store, etc.....

2) any suggestions for revamping my wardrobe? i.e., how soon will i need to have a closet full of business casual ready to go at any time? (i'm a girl, but i'm guessing guys might need to do some wardrobe readjustment too...)
1) Getting acquainted with the city.

http://www.365twincitiesmn.com/
This site has tons of activities you can do to get a better feel for the town. None of these are essentials. As long as you have a bus pass, living arrangements, and clothing, you can get by. Consider these suggestions if you'd like to explore the Twin Cities.

Finding a grocery store. (EDIT: Sorry, misread your post. Thought you were looking for advice for a nearby grocery store! Ah well, it's staying up.) There are a handful of grocery stores in South Minneapolis for buying decent to outstanding produce. We'll start with the decent and move up from there.
Rainbow Foods
1104 Lagoon Avenue
Minneapolis, MN 55408-2059

It's off of Hennepin and Lake Street. If you're coming from the East Coast, this is something like a Giant/Safeway/Kroger's/Bloom. It's your affordable all-purpose grocery store.
--------------------------------------------

Lunds
1450 West Lake Street
Minneapolis, MN 55408
lundsandbyerlys.com

A step up from Rainbow Foods, which is just down the street. I guess this would be something like a Harris Teeter, but falling short of a Trader Joe's.

-------------------------------------------

The Wedge Co-Op
2105 South Lyndale Avenue
Minneapolis, MN 55405-3027
http://wedge.coop/

Again, an Uptown grocer. This is a grocery store dedicated organic everything. Comparable to Whole Foods. Fantastic produce and (I hear) meat, but it can get pricey.

-----------------------------------
Kowalski's Markets
2440 Hennepin Avenue
Minneapolis, MN 55405-2604
http://kowalskis.com/

Another Uptown grocer. I actually haven't been here, but it from what I understand it's upscale. If you're a sucker for artisan breads, you might want to stop by. Perhaps someone more familiar with it can comment.

------------------------------------

Seward Co-Op
2823 East Franklin Avenue
Minneapolis, MN 55406
http://www.seward.coop/

Located on the east side of Minneapolis SE of the Law School, Seward Co-Op is the easterly version of The Wedge.

------------------------------------

Minneapolis Farmer's Market

Nicollet Mall Location
http://www.mplsfarmersmarket.com/nicollet.php

Lyndale Avenue Location
http://www.mplsfarmersmarket.com/lyndale.php

If you're going to be around this summer, I recommend stopping by the Minneapolis Farmer's Market. There are two locations. One is located one Nicollet Avenue. It's open every Thursday, 6am to 6pm, May through November. The Lyndale Avenue farmer's market is open every day 6am to 1pm, April to mid-November.

Unfortunately, there is nothing comparable to a Wegmans, the heavenly juggernaut of all grocery stores. There is a Whole Foods over in St. Paul along Grand Ave.

Oh, and you can also buy groceries at the Target downtown (Nicollet Mall area), but it's really only good for cereal, milk, non-perishables, etc.

2) Wardrobe. You'll need business casual for one situation: networking events. It doesn't require a spending spree. Just a couple of nice things. Nearly everyone dresses casually for class. For all other situations--court, moot court, interviews, client simulations, oral arguments for your brief--you need formal business attire.

Above The Law recently covered the Chicago Bar Association's "What Not To Wear" fashion show, available at http://abovethelaw.com/2010/04/fashion- ... -too-late/

That should give you basic idea of what you should have.

OG Loc

Bronze

Re: UMN 1L Taking Questions [Such as You Have Provided]

Post by OG Loc » Thu May 06, 2010 9:02 pm

Hi! Probably coming to UMN this fall. What has been your experience with career services? Their presentation at ASW was encouraging - they seem like they have a plan and are pretty on the ball...just wondering what the students think. Thanks!

Learning Hand

New

Re: UMN 1L Taking Questions [Such as You Have Provided]

Post by Learning Hand » Wed May 12, 2010 1:59 am

OG Loc wrote:Hi! Probably coming to UMN this fall. What has been your experience with career services? Their presentation at ASW was encouraging - they seem like they have a plan and are pretty on the ball...just wondering what the students think. Thanks!
Sorry for the late response. Last week of finals. The truth is I didn't have much experience with career services. We do have a more or less required meeting with our career counselor, who may suggest how to improve one's resume and land a job outside of the typical UMN market (Northern Midwest). I believe CPDC offers mock interviews throughout Spring semester, and they send out a newsletter every week notifying students of internship opportunities and Symplicity updates (the school's legal online job database). I have had responsive emails with one exception, which I had sent to the CPDC director before attending UMN.

I'll try and talk to some upperclassmen about their experiences and get back to you on this. My gut feeling is that UMN career services was horrendous prior to Dean Wippman's arrival. Since then, it has undergone substantial personnel changes. I expect things will only improve. The important thing to remember is that, notwithstanding grades and the doors that may open and shut with them, each student has a lot of control over his or her own career. Tell them what you want or are interested in, and perhaps they can provide resources or access to other school's job banks. Career services will point you in the right direction, but in this economy it's more important than ever to take the proper initiative. I would recommend using career services as one conduit--not a vehicle--for finding a job.
Last edited by Learning Hand on Thu May 13, 2010 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”