Tulane Maritime Law for a 2010 JD from China Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
everysky

New

Tulane Maritime Law for a 2010 JD from China

Post by everysky » Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:54 am

Hi, everyone, I'm from Shanghai Maritime University majoring in maritime law and got the JD of Tulane several months ago. Since I have no idea about maritime law in U.S.. I am here to collect info.

Since my family will have to give out thier most savings for my JD life, I have to pass bar and got enrolled in a maritime law fitm with a decent payment as an international student. Of course, courses would be hard for a Chinese student but considering my knowledge learnt here, I think it will be a little bit easy for me to take maritime-related courses in 2L for further certificate. As is known, maritime legal system is commom among different countires in many ways.

However, I am wondering the difference between a LLM and a JD when doing maritime cases. JD will take another 2years and money than LLM and I hope JD can be much more competitive when seeking jobs in U.S..

My plan is to work in U.S. for a couple of years and return to China with a good payment from some good firms. I hope to combine my knowledge from my LLB in Shanghai Maritime Univeristy, China( civil law) and JD in Tulane(commom law). If you anything to say, just go and fire.

Thank you for your time.

chunge88830

New

Re: Tulane Maritime Law for a 2010 JD from China

Post by chunge88830 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:29 am

Good luck to you...bro
I'm from China University of Political Science and Law.. 8)

creamedcats

Bronze

Post by creamedcats » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:18 am

You're right that most US firms won't even look at you (for a US office) without some common law experience, and a JD is a very thorough way to get that, but it's far more expensive than an LLM and won't feature a program specifically designed for overseas students.

Having lived in China, I know that many families are willing to pay whatever it takes for education, but I'd strongly recommend that you continue doing what you're doing now - getting more information - before committing to the huge expense of a US JD. Try and find someone who has already done what you are planning and ask them some pretty specific questions. Also be sure you're ready to deal with living abroad for three years, it can be tough.

Also, any hope of a scholarship? You can appeal to their financial aid office. A lot of schools are all too happy to take Chinese students because of their willingness to pay full price - don't necessarily accept that, especially if your credentials are good. I know a lot of Chinese lawyers who did not do JDs abroad who are making good money in China right now, so it's definitely not a requirement. I don't know about your particular specialty, though, these are just some general thoughts gleaned from my experience in law firms in China.

Good luck!

everysky

New

Post by everysky » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:34 am

chunge88830 wrote:Good luck to you...bro
I'm from China University of Political Science and Law.. 8)
So what about you, dude.

everysky

New

Post by everysky » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:36 am

creamedcats wrote:You're right that most US firms won't even look at you (for a US office) without some common law experience, and a JD is a very thorough way to get that, but it's far more expensive than an LLM and won't feature a program specifically designed for overseas students.

Having lived in China, I know that many families are willing to pay whatever it takes for education, but I'd strongly recommend that you continue doing what you're doing now - getting more information - before committing to the huge expense of a US JD. Try and find someone who has already done what you are planning and ask them some pretty specific questions. Also be sure you're ready to deal with living abroad for three years, it can be tough.

Also, any hope of a scholarship? You can appeal to their financial aid office. A lot of schools are all too happy to take Chinese students because of their willingness to pay full price - don't necessarily accept that, especially if your credentials are good. I know a lot of Chinese lawyers who did not do JDs abroad who are making good money in China right now, so it's definitely not a requirement. I don't know about your particular specialty, though, these are just some general thoughts gleaned from my experience in law firms in China.

Good luck!
Got it. I'm with a UPGPA of 3.54 and LSAT of 162, some special social activities. I also got the LLM from UCL and Southampton and JD from CUHK. But my dream is U.S. JD all the time. Maybe I am a day dreamer but I hope to try my best to make some success.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

creamedcats

Bronze

Post by creamedcats » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:46 am

Well, good luck, I guess you're in a special situation because you want to do maritime law.

everysky

New

Post by everysky » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:46 pm

creamedcats wrote:Well, good luck, I guess you're in a special situation because you want to do maritime law.
Since I'm a greenhand here, I wanna know is it a big chance for a maritime specialized gruduates from Tulane to get some decent salary from a biglaw or median law firm to pay back my big debt?

And if I plan to come back to China with rich experience gained in U.S. and even a global-pay to live well in Shanghai or Beijing( they are both expensive cities like Big Apple), is it possible to work in other fields other than maritime law? In fact, I am more interested in International Investment Law and prefer to work in NGOs because in China, the experts both in language and in legal affairs are rare.

What do you think about my dream?

Bert

Bronze

Post by Bert » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:53 pm

Is this for real?

everysky

New

Post by everysky » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:56 pm

Bert wrote:Is this for real?
So what do you mean " is it for real?" . Hope to get your words.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

creamedcats

Bronze

Post by creamedcats » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:13 pm

You want two JDs to work in an NGO in China?

Yeah, okay, flame?

everysky

New

Post by everysky » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:33 pm

creamedcats wrote:You want two JDs to work in an NGO in China?

Yeah, okay, flame?
Just one. I know Tulane does it well in maritime things so it'll be an advantage if you take these courses. But is it meaning a limited chance to be a lawyer in other fields? I know SJD may be a better choice for working in NGOs, so I'm here to ask whether a combination of LLB from China and JD from U.S. is ensuring a big chance for making my dream come true or not.

And sorry for ask the meaning of "flame", you mean passion or something else?

everysky

New

Post by everysky » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:13 am

creamedcats wrote:You want two JDs to work in an NGO in China?

Yeah, okay, flame?
Okay. I got that. Flame is too American word. Dream or future? I can't say for sure. But in China JD is rare and valueble now, I don't know whether it is a decision worthy of 3 years and $150,000.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”