Miami 1L taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
baileyxx

New

Miami 1L taking questions

Post by baileyxx » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:12 pm

I'm currently a 1L at Miami and am more than willing to answer any questions anyone may have!

jms1987

Bronze

Re: Miami 1L taking questions

Post by jms1987 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:24 am

How is the job market for Miami grads right now?

baileyxx

New

Post by baileyxx » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:26 am

As a 1L, I can't speak to the job market for graduating 3Ls. However, with the job market the way it is across the country, everyone is having a more difficult time finding jobs. However, the 3Ls I am close with do have jobs lined up for after graduation.

Ende

New

Post by Ende » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:06 pm

Nice, thanks for posting. I'm in undergrad now up in Ft. Lauderdale and plan on applying.

So what's your schedule like? Are you constantly slammed with work? Are you out at all? How's the rest of your section, as far as peer relationships go? Do you think with your current schedule you could possibly hold down a job while being a 1L?

Thanks again..

-Nick

matchesmalone

New

Post by matchesmalone » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:09 pm

Thanks for taking the time to do this. Do you have any regrets about choosing Miami?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

baileyxx

New

Post by baileyxx » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:20 pm

My schedule last semester had me in class from 8-4 every day with a break for lunch and a couple other breaks between classes, which were great to catch up or review work before your next class. This semester my section has later starts (so no more 8ams every day) but we go later as well with only a break for lunch. For me, I still go to campus early (also parking is a nightmare in the law school lot after 9am; however, there are other lots that are only a 5-10 min walk and there are shuttles) so I'm there by 8:30/9am every day and spend time in the library doing work before class. But that's because at night I'd much rather relax and go out to dinner with friends than spend it doing work. I work much better in the mornings. Yes, I manage to go out. Not a lot, I had my partying time in undergrad. But we do go out. Every other Thursday SBA (Student Bar Association) throws a party at the bar on campus and gives all law students free beer. So that's a weekly event we all go to. We also go out on the weekends. When classes are cancelled, we'll go out as well. I do know people who go out Fri and Sat and still managed to get good grades. So yes, it is possible. A ton of my friends are going to Ultra this weekend (concert in Miami Fri and Sat). So you can still have a life and get the work done. It's all about time managment and knowing how you work best. My section is very close. We're all friends and there to help people out when they need it. Study groups are easy to find. I know a huge group of 1Ls (50+) went on a Spring Break cruise together this year too. Everyone's very welcoming and even the "intense" students let their guard down. Unfortunately, you can't work as 1L (ABA rules), same story at every school but no, I wouldn't want to have a job, I wouldn't have a life for sure.

As far as regrets go, I don't have any. The only thing that was worrysome was in the beginning of the year when we found out how large our class was going to be (500+). However, the school handled it well and we all still got the education we came to recieve. I know my section had some of the BEST professors (in my opinion) so I can't say the quality of my education went down because of the increase. The sections were about 100 people for 1Ls so not too much bigger than what they were before. I wouldn't say I regret my decision because of that but it definitely was something I was not expecting when I decided to enroll.

charlesjd

Bronze

Post by charlesjd » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:21 pm

After reading the review of Miami on here, what do you think since you actually go there. I know a 1L and she loves it, but I am not sure what to think.

baileyxx

New

Post by baileyxx » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:23 pm

Which review are you speaking of? One written on the board somewhere? Or the one TLS has?

Ende

New

Post by Ende » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:58 pm

Thanks Bailey. Did you go to undergrad in Broward/Dade? Or did you move here from another state?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

baileyxx

New

Post by baileyxx » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:02 pm

I went to a top 20 school and I'm orginally from the Midwest. So wasn't a Dade/Broward resident until now.

Ende

New

Post by Ende » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:51 pm

baileyxx wrote:I went to a top 20 school and I'm orginally from the Midwest. So wasn't a Dade/Broward resident until now.

Ok. So what did you do for LSAT prep? Do you mind sharing your stats?

baileyxx

New

Post by baileyxx » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:01 pm

I did testmasters. 159/3.6

Ende

New

Post by Ende » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:05 pm

What were your first semester exams like? Multiple choice, exam?

What, your not going to Ultra? I would definitely recommend you go to at least one party during the conference. That is of course, you like dance music.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

baileyxx

New

Post by baileyxx » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:13 pm

One was purely multiple choice.

Rest were essay based and had multiple essays (3-4) to write per exam. Exams ranged from 2 hours to 4.5 hours. I took every one except the multiple choice one on my laptop.

I may go to Ultra but $90 for one show? Ehh...I'll think about it. I haven't quite crossed it off my list yet.

Ende

New

Post by Ende » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:17 pm

baileyxx wrote:One was purely multiple choice.

Rest were essay based and had multiple essays (3-4) to write per exam. Exams ranged from 2 hours to 4.5 hours. I took every one except the multiple choice one on my laptop.

I may go to Ultra but $90 for one show? Ehh...I'll think about it. I haven't quite crossed it off my list yet.
Keep in mind all those artists will be playing at various venues on the beach this week. The average price on admission is about $30, so save your money.

matchesmalone

New

Post by matchesmalone » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:28 pm

baileyxx wrote:Which review are you speaking of? One written on the board somewhere? Or the one TLS has?
I believe they are referring to the review of Miami on TLS - http://www.top-law-schools.com/universi ... i-law.html

"The sense of community boasted by students at many U.S. law schools does not seem to be present at Miami Law, where grading is based on a curve. This, combined with weak job prospects faced by graduates, make the environment at Miami quite competitive, providing an added level of stress most law students could do without."

Any response to this according to your experience?

baileyxx

New

Post by baileyxx » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:35 pm

The curve exists but it's not nearly as harsh as they make it out to be.

Here's a link explaining the curve:

--LinkRemoved--

I think we have huge sense of community at UM. I've never felt that people have a competitive edge to them at all. I find us all bonding together from my experience. We all come together multiple times a year. Recently, Miami Law just recaptured the Cup in the Dean's Cup that we play against the Med School in some 20+ events. It's really a fun campus and everyone is friendly. I think that the description TLS makes is ANYTHING but accurate.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

mrm2083

Bronze

Post by mrm2083 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:36 pm

if you don't mind, what is your rank? Do you find most students to be intelligent?

baileyxx

New

Post by baileyxx » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:41 pm

Miami doesn't rank until after the first year is complete. Most students are intelligent. However, no matter where you are, there will always be a few that aren't.

sarlis

Silver

Post by sarlis » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:41 pm

mrm2083 wrote:if you don't mind, what is your rank? Do you find most students to be intelligent?
+1. what are you overall impressions of your fellow 1Ls?

baileyxx

New

Post by baileyxx » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:44 pm

Also, people excel in different subjects. Fellow 1Ls are very diverse. They're intelligent and offer competiting and enlightening viewpoints in class discussions. Also, as I said before, they are very friendly and supportive. People don't tend to be cliquey so much I find. There are a few who keep to themselves but all in all, most are very open to new people in study groups etc.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

matchesmalone

New

Post by matchesmalone » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:49 pm

Do the students fit the South Beach stereotypes? I know you said they are diverse, but do the students tend to be the party type?

baileyxx

New

Post by baileyxx » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:51 pm

There are definitely a FEW and I mean FEW that are the "South Beach" type who will party a lot. Most students are social but I wouldn't classify them as South Beach AT ALL.

thegor1987

Bronze

Post by thegor1987 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:59 pm

What do you mean 1L's are not allowed to work? Do you mean they are not allowed to do work which requires providing legal services and/or advice?

J-tow10

Bronze

Post by J-tow10 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:05 pm

OP, thanks for taking the time to do this. What type of employment have either you or your classmates found for this summer?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”