University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Matokah

Bronze

Post by Matokah » Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:50 pm

Everyone: Would someone maybe be so kind as to gather up everyone's email addies (mine's sass0024@umn.edu) and maybe do a mass email with the date and time and directions, etc. for our Sacramento pre-law school meet-up? I think that way more of us will actually show up if we officially know what's going on. I think I'm too lazy to do it at the moment (herzchen: you should come, too, obviously!).

Christian: If you're interested, the rafting trip is $190, and it's an overnighter from Monday to Tuesday of 6 and 7 August, I believe. Email Jennifer Hemmer at beyondmcgeorge@gmail.com for more info if you're interested. I'm going! :)

Herzchen: I plan to skate 3-4 times a week in Sacramento (and then exercise on the other days). Each rink and skating club is different (check out my current one at http://www.braemarfsc.org , bwahaha!), but I *think* the one in Roseville is just $10 per hour. You can buy a punch card for $90 for 10 sessions, I believe. Then you just show up at the scheduled time and skate. Ice time costs a decent amount, given I should be skating 2-3 hours a day (doing the math nice and quickly, I believe it'd cost about $600 a month, but I totally don't have that kind of cash, so I'll probably be closer to the $160/month range. :P). Then there's coaching fees, competition fees, test fees, costume costs, music editing costs, boots, blades, orthotics (all 3 of those generally run me $1600. I just spent $500 for new blades :oops: . . .but the cool thing is my boots have lasted almost 4 years, and they're still going strong, so if I pay $100 to get them rebuilt, they should last through law school. . .huzzah!). Anyway, yeah. Skating's wicked expensive. The top skaters at my rink usually blow between $50,000 and $60,000 each year to pay for training and competing. :shock:

exception311

New

Post by exception311 » Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:56 pm

Can one of you tell me when the 1st day of school starts? Cause the admissions office told me Aug 10th is when they close the waiting list. That kinda sucks for me, cause I'm pretty much in limbo (can't find housing, can't quit work, etc) until I hear from them, but oh well.

On another note, per Matokha's request, I went through this thread and created a google.groups for those who posted their emails so information regarding whatever can be passed along quicker. You can subscribe yourself at http://groups.google.com/group/mcgeorge (I think.) The group email is mcgeorge@googlegroups.com, or post your email here and I will send you an invite. I don't know if you guys will use the list after school actually starts, but if you do, and I don't come off the waitlist, I'll pass list ownership over to one of you folks. :?

Sejal319

New

Post by Sejal319 » Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:22 pm

Hi exception :) Can you add me to the list as well? I'll PM you my e-mail address.

If you are on the wait list - have you been keeping your file active with LOCI's, letters of rec, etc? Good luck! :)

I just got my e-mail about registration packets - I'm excited! But still no word from Loyola or SCU's waitlist. I'm setting a personal deadline by Friday, I'm sick of waiting now.

Sejal319

New

Post by Sejal319 » Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:28 pm

Oh and also I'm a MySpacer and Facebooker :)

MySpace: --LinkRemoved--
Facebook: Search "Sejal" from the UC Irvine network =) It's a sepia picture of my boyfriend and me.

My AIM is listed on my Facebook! Ahh, I'm excited to meet all you TSLers.

Ipsa Dixit

Bronze

Post by Ipsa Dixit » Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:55 pm

I also have a MySpace, but I don't use it for much really. I pretty much go there if I get an e-mail telling me a friend has posted something to their blog or if a friend tells me to go look at pictures on their MySpace.

Anyway, it's --LinkRemoved-- (predictable, yes)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

esoterik

New

Post by esoterik » Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:17 am

Last edited by esoterik on Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Artful_Dodger

New

Post by Artful_Dodger » Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:17 pm

Hey!'

I don't know how that gmail google groups thing works. I've got 2 gmail accounts. I check one more than the other. Can someone walk me through it?

OregonGirl07

New

Post by OregonGirl07 » Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:37 pm

Hello All! I am back from sunny Sacramento!

I went down on Monday and found a place to live yesterday. Yay! I got to visit campus, which I think is really cute. It's so funny coming from a school of 20,000. I really liked Sacramento in general.

My name is Stephanie by the way. One of my AIM's is rainxdayxgirl. My myspace is --LinkRemoved--. My email is true_blu_22@hotmail.com

I am going on the rafting trip now. I went into the office on Tuesday and they let me sign up so I am excited for that.

Matokah

Bronze

Post by Matokah » Sat Jul 14, 2007 4:00 pm

So. . .

1) I joined the googlegroups! It's not too hard to set yourself up for a google account.

2) Does anyone have any idea how much tuition's going to be for the upcoming year? They say on their website that the tuition is decided at the annual Spring meeting. Uhm, it's mid-July now, though. . . :?:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dannyk1101

New

Post by dannyk1101 » Sat Jul 14, 2007 4:29 pm

yeah i know matokah i had the same question about tuition. i know money is gonna be tight this year so i'm trying to prebudgetize as much as possible.

how much are books supposed to be for first semester? i wanna buy all new, at least for first semester so i can decide which ones i think i can get by on with used. seriously though, bad highlighting/notes from a previous student can really mess you up!!

LOL. i'm getting so excited y'all! i feel like a kid again going away for college.. is anyone else living in the midtown area? i'm at about 25/N.. i know jarrett is just a couple blocks away.. it seems to be a somewhat walkable area. is anyone else moving here from a big city???

Ipsa Dixit

Bronze

Post by Ipsa Dixit » Sat Jul 14, 2007 6:08 pm

Yeah, I'd like to know what tuition is going to be as well!

danny, I am currently looking for a place in midtown. I looked at some places today and there were a couple I like. The question now is, do I go for the more expensive 1 bedroom, or for the cheaper studio. It would be soooooo nice to have a 1 bedroom, but it would also be nice to not have money as tight.

dannyk1101

New

Post by dannyk1101 » Sat Jul 14, 2007 6:47 pm

Ipsa - yeah i definitely know what you're going through right now. i don't know, maybe i wasn't looking in the right places but i wasn't able to find any decent studios. they were all kinda gross (and mind you i slummed it for a long time in the southside of chicago) so in the end i opted for a decent one bedroom. its not SUPER nice but its pretty spacious, hardwood floors (which i prefer), and a good location from what i could gather. i would love to have money be less tight cause $100 a month difference adds up quickly but alas, i chose more space cause i'm hoping a more comfortable home makes for better studying! =)

(i actually found one pretty clean studio for about $575 but it was literally the size of a closet. maybe a bed and a desk could fit. i think the apt was 250 sq ft total (including bathroom and kitchen) - http://www.vintage-properties.net

Ipsa Dixit

Bronze

Post by Ipsa Dixit » Sat Jul 14, 2007 7:04 pm

Ooh yeah, danny, I have seen a few crappy studios (and one was so overpriced, I was like 'are you serious?') I prefer wood floors as well and it kills me when I see carpeting when I know there is hardwood underneath. The 1 bedroom I saw was really big and (carpeted, but I really liked the unit... seriously, it was a lot bigger than I expected). The non-gross studio I am considering is very small, but also a lot less money and has wood floors... I am leaning towards the 1 bedroom though since I think I would enjoy being home more (and it comes with a parking spot, almost worth it just for that).

I saw a great studio today too, but the building was not secure and it did not feel safe. Doesn't matter how great the floor plan if I have to live in fear of someone breaking in!

danny, have you done the Art Walk? It should be tonight, worth checking out if you haven't done it.

There's a cheap breakfast place I like on J (at 24th I think) where you can get breakfast for $4 before 8:30 on the weekends.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

stellenboschmaties

New

Post by stellenboschmaties » Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:01 pm

hey guys. hope you're having a great weekend.

stupid question from the hoosier: how much is too much for an mid-town apartment in sacramento? bear in mind that indiana cost of living is muuuuuuuuch lower than california. i was just looking for a range of what to look for. i was expecting to be in an apartment around 700-750? is that an appropriate estimation? obviously, i'll be under the same student loan constraints as everyone else. i'm not sure what utilities are like in place that doesn't have brutal summers and bitter winters. not to mention the complete lack of tornadoes.

anyway, i'm gonna leave for my going away party now. i probably won't be sober until monday, so i'll catch up with y'all then!

have a great weekend and be safe!

samm

OregonGirl07

New

Post by OregonGirl07 » Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:04 pm

I just checked what they give us for an estimated 9 month budget, housing etc, on the financial aid handbook, the updated 07-08 one, and it actually seems like quite a bit to me. Maybe Oregon just gave us less for financial aid and it seems like more to me than it really is.

As for the apartments I didn't really look in mid-town so I'm not going to be much help. I think you could probably find something that is decent though.

dannyk1101

New

Post by dannyk1101 » Sun Jul 15, 2007 3:33 am

IPSA - good luck with deciding on your apt. sounds like the 1 bedroom might just be worth the extra expense though, which is certainly not always the case.

i actually heard about that art walk while i was in town - sounds like a lot of fun. i have not actually moved in yet, that'll be at the end of the month. and about the breakfast place.. what's that? $4???!!!!! you will definitely have to give me more details on that.

SAMM - yeah i think 700-750 is reasonable. i mean for those of us taking out loans i think we're all operating under the same budget so i'll just go ahead and share my info. i found a one bedroom for $675 in midtown. newish appliances. wood floors. pretty clean. window AC. good location. parking in the back for $30 more a month but street should be fine i think (city issues free permits for the first year of residence) anyway, the places i saw that were more expensive than mine were of course nicer. maybe for $750 you can get central air and parking..

yeah. oregongirl, the money they give for the 9 month budget is not bad - enough to live on. if you're coming as a recent college grad it'll probably sound better than if you've been out in the work force for a while. in any case, i'm just hoping school keeps me busy enough that i don't notice any financial strain.

Artful_Dodger

New

Post by Artful_Dodger » Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:45 pm

Hey everyone! I just wanted to see how everyone is doing and all. I just got back from Sacramento to check out the place I will be staying at for the year! Matokah it's a GREAT place! I'm even more excited now. You were right, the pictures didn't do it justice. Anyway, have we settled on a meeting place to meet up yet?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

JarrettN

New

Post by JarrettN » Mon Jul 16, 2007 5:48 pm

If anyone familiar with sac has ideas on where to meet up that would be helpful, otherwise I figured we could just meet up at a dive somewhere in midtown, cheap drinks and no cover. I figured we could meet up earlier in the evening (for the peeps that are going rafting) maybe around 8 or so and we could al just hang for a bit. That way the folks that have to leave early can and if the anyone else wants to go out and get plastered it won;t matter either. Anyway tell me your thoughts people, Im all ears.

saleen

New

Post by saleen » Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:18 pm

Down for whatever as long as it's not the fox and the goose. Apparently I am no longer welcome there............

saleen

New

Post by saleen » Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:56 pm

Ipsa Dixit

Bronze

Post by Ipsa Dixit » Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:30 pm

What day are we planning on? (the 5th, I thought? Or did I make that up in my head?)

How many are we?

Would Ink do?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Matokah

Bronze

Post by Matokah » Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:33 pm

I think the 5th was correct (the Sunday before the rafting trip?).

Ink sounds familiar. Is that the place on N and 20-somethingth? :P I can't remember.

Artful_Dodger: SO glad you liked the place! I'm always hesitant to show people the pictures I have, because they don't really give you an idea of what the place is like. Only visiting in person works. See you (for serious!) in 2 weeks. :)

OregonGirl07

New

Post by OregonGirl07 » Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:01 pm

The 5th sounds good to me. I don't know any of the bars down there so I will just have to get the address and get directions from my apartment.

Artful_Dodger

New

Post by Artful_Dodger » Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:50 am

The 5th works fine for me. Wherever you guys wanna go works too. I don't know Sacramento very well so I'll probably need directions!

adupe

New

Post by adupe » Tue Jul 17, 2007 3:55 pm

The 5th is good for me too. I think meeting at 8pm is also a good idea.

Here's a link to Ink if anyone wants to see (it has the address here too) --LinkRemoved--
and here too: http://www.inkeats.com/

saleen thanks for the article. And did everyone know that you can attend any other ABA approved school's summer program for equal credit at McGeorege, that's pretty awesome.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”